Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (HSE)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-02-2017, 6:50 PM Reply   
Anyone have a great idea or metal detector around the Delta area to find a lost prop from a broken shaft? I know the general idea where the prop broke, but with the dirty D, it's about hopeless to try to find it with mask and snorkel, so wondering if anyone has any thoughts? The depth is around 15-20' deep and most likely very silty muddy bottom so it'd be cool if there's some type of metal detector that could be used.
Thanks for the input.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-02-2017, 9:14 PM Reply   
Garrett AT Pro Pointer

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uyE5QVc2OgY
Old     (HSE)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-04-2017, 3:25 PM Reply   
Vee Drive, thanks for the link. If I could figure out how to monitor above the water surface and drag it around that'd be a good start.
Old     (formulaben)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-04-2017, 4:55 PM Reply   
If you have a fairly good idea of where it popped off I would drag a large magnet around if that is feasible.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-04-2017, 5:16 PM Reply   
silly question - does a magnet work with a prop? I thought props were bronze. or is the alloy magnetic? In any event, trolling the Delta for a prop that could have spun off in many directions seems like a pretty difficult task.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-04-2017, 5:26 PM Reply   
Jim I hate to cast doubt, But in my opinion you have a very low chance of finding it “Needle in a Haystack” comes to mind, but I hope I’m wrong, please come back and post if you find it and what you used!

I have a feeling the delta muck is 6 feet think
Old     (formulaben)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-05-2017, 12:23 AM Reply   
I was thinking the shaft is still attached...wouldn't that take a magnet? Yeah, probably needle in a haystack but I like puzzles. I found my friends new sunglasses in the lake one year.
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       10-05-2017, 7:45 AM Reply   
Lost mine out there about a month ago. Got me thinking now.
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       10-05-2017, 7:46 AM Reply   
Colder the water gets the clearer it gets too. Maybing scuba gear.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-05-2017, 8:06 AM Reply   
Nickel bronze aluminum alloy. you're looking for the shaft
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       10-05-2017, 8:32 AM Reply   
I lost a prop once in 5'-12' deep water right near our dock. Visibility is 20'+, we found it but it took hours and it was pretty far from what we thought the search radius would be. With very limited visibility, 20' depth, no oxygen, and likely part buried in a soft bottom... I wouldn't even bother.

Driveshafts are stainless. Even if it's ferritic it's not gonna hold like steel or iron, you won't get it with a magnet.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-05-2017, 8:52 AM Reply   
I had a ex sister in-law ask me one time

After I lost my wedding ring while wakeboarding

"Do you want get a mask and look for it"

I gave her the same look I would give you!!!!!

If your tight on cash I would look for a used one. You might find one at a really good price thats even better than the one your going to spend months looking for.

What boat are you runing
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-05-2017, 10:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Driveshafts are stainless. Even if it's ferritic it's not gonna hold like steel or iron, you won't get it with a magnet.
Yep.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-05-2017, 11:38 AM Reply   
besides a month in the delta - wonder what would it look like. Super curious.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-05-2017, 11:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
I lost a prop once in 5'-12' deep water right near our dock. Visibility is 20'+, we found it but it took hours and it was pretty far from what we thought the search radius would be. With very limited visibility, 20' depth, no oxygen, and likely part buried in a soft bottom... I wouldn't even bother.

detector should pick it up, no?

agree it's a lost cause
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       10-05-2017, 1:46 PM Reply   
You could rent a dredger & then sift the sand & muck.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       10-06-2017, 5:28 AM Reply   
A few years ago I lost a front wing for a Sky Ski in about 45' of cold Columbia River. I called the local Search and Rescue and asked if they needed a training exercise. I told them what happened and they agreed to try to find it. They do this type of thing when looking for dumped guns etc... so it was right up their alley. They showed up with about 8 guys, 2 boats and 3 divers . Pretty organized, with the divers even being able to communicate with the boats via radio. They set up a search grid. Luckily, we had marked the spot pretty well they were able to find it in about 20 minutes using a diver pulled on a planer board behind a jet ski. I made a nice donation to Search and Rescue ( a volunteer organization) and they got a good training exercise in. It was a lot cheaper than having to buy a new wing.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-06-2017, 5:58 AM Reply   
You sir get the BEST IDEA OF THE YEAR award!!!!!!
Old     (HSE)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-06-2017, 1:06 PM Reply   
Kirk, now that's an awesome idea!! I knew I would get a lot of flack from this thread, but it never hurts to try... It's off a G21, 1 1/4" shaft, it was a fluke failure and new parts were air freighted to me the same week to get my boat back on the water.

Have a great weekend everyone!!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-06-2017, 3:39 PM Reply   
I lost an anchor at shasta one year (apparently when you throw it overboard you should have an anchor line tied to it).

Luckily I had a backup anchor so I was OK. But it was a new box anchor and I was really bummed to lose it.

So we drove down to Redding that night and bought the biggest magnet harbor freight sold and wend back to look for the anchor the next day. This was right by the RR bridge in the salt creek inlet, so I had a decent idea where it was. I threw that magnet for about 90 minutes and mostly just found pieces of scrap iron that must've fallen from the train bridge.

I did finally snag something big and slowly worked it to the surface so as not to lose it from the magnet. took about 4 minutes to pull up very carefully. Not going to lie, I was pretty smug that I'd managed to find my anchor. Until I got about 18" from the surface only to find that it was my spare anchor (the one the boat was tied to while I was searching for the lost one) that I'd pulled up! Never found the lost one. I hope somebody did.... it definitely was exposed in a very high traffic area when the lake wend down (lost it in shallow water in a very high water year).
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-06-2017, 6:20 PM Reply   
Why you think that is a fluke failure? Nautique has 2017 boats with same problem...They have never fixed the problem. I think one guy had "fluke failure" on same boat twice. They break on the 1 1/4 shafts all the time. It was BS that it was just a problem on 1 1/8 shafts.

Last edited by scottb7; 10-06-2017 at 6:25 PM.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-06-2017, 6:34 PM Reply   
My experience is that heavy items drop into the muck/bed of lake relatively deep. So you gotta kind of probe around with a magnet usually. Just dragging it along the surface does not work that well. The diver idea is pretty good.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-07-2017, 3:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
I lost an anchor at shasta one year (apparently when you throw it overboard you should have an anchor line tied to it).

Luckily I had a backup anchor so I was OK. But it was a new box anchor and I was really bummed to lose it.

So we drove down to Redding that night and bought the biggest magnet harbor freight sold and wend back to look for the anchor the next day. This was right by the RR bridge in the salt creek inlet, so I had a decent idea where it was. I threw that magnet for about 90 minutes and mostly just found pieces of scrap iron that must've fallen from the train bridge.

I did finally snag something big and slowly worked it to the surface so as not to lose it from the magnet. took about 4 minutes to pull up very carefully. Not going to lie, I was pretty smug that I'd managed to find my anchor. Until I got about 18" from the surface only to find that it was my spare anchor (the one the boat was tied to while I was searching for the lost one) that I'd pulled up! Never found the lost one. I hope somebody did.... it definitely was exposed in a very high traffic area when the lake wend down (lost it in shallow water in a very high water year).
You done my morning!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-07-2017, 9:57 AM Reply   
I got a Laugh as well. I have don’t the exact same thing. Some friends were houseboating at Shasta and invited us. We pulled up and everyone of corse was watching (fresh meat) and I threw my anchor out and forgot to attach it to the boat. B4 my brain could realize what just happend the anchor went down to The Abyss I’m just glad I didn’t jump I with my phone in my pocket and add insult to injury.
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       10-20-2017, 9:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post

I hate you lost the anchor, but his is a funny story.

My dad bass fishes a lot and he has hauled in numerous anchors over the years that I have used as spares for my boat.