Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (azwakeYO)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-27-2015, 6:17 PM Reply   
I wanted to see what the ww community thought a hour really costs when it comes to newer boats and the depreciation you see when you get high hours on a new boat?
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-27-2015, 6:54 PM Reply   
I think you will have a split opinion on this. Most veteran boat owners know that high hours isn't an issue. It really comes down to if the boat was neglected or taken care of. I like to think 80-100 hours per a year is normal for most people. If someone puts under 50/year I think the boat is neglected. If they put over 150/year then they get a lot of use out of it. I would typically lean to buying a clean, higher hour boat over a neglected low hour boat.
Old     (azwakeYO)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-27-2015, 7:20 PM Reply   
well lets say I have a 2015 g23 with 400 hours id say each hour cost me around 50 bucks.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       07-27-2015, 7:28 PM Reply   
I think you need to take both extremes case by case. I would pay particular attention to low hour boats that are in satisfactory condition. I would definitely want to see document records of maintenance, whether it be from a dealer or owner maintenance. I would also do my homework to understand how much the owner truly knows about his/her boat, how to use it and how/where they used it. Essentially an interview of sorts. I would also evaluate the local economy to understand if a low hours boat is possible (dwindling access to bodies of water, etc)
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-27-2015, 8:40 PM Reply   
I think the $50 is pretty darn accurate. Assuming 2 2014 G's same options on each and color and condition 1 has 200 and other 400 I'd expect significant reduction in the 400 hr boat! I'm paying no more than $110k for 200 he and sub $100 for 400hrs! Use them wisely!
Old     (99ProAir)      Join Date: May 2015       07-27-2015, 9:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
If someone puts under 50/year I think the boat is neglected.
Are you implying that the boat doesn't get used enough - that constitutes neglect? That's got to be one of the stupidest thing I've heard in quite a while (with the exception of whatever comes out of Donald Trump's mouth). Consider those folks in the PNW or upper East Coast who have a 3 to 4 month boating season. How would putting 50 hours on a boat constitute neglect?
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-27-2015, 11:35 PM Reply   
Haha dezul..... My 06 is definately neglected! Being 9 yrs old and only 185 hrs, it's ready to fall apart.
No one would ever want to buy it! Lol.
But after the orig owner putting 48 hrs on it in almost 4 years, a year off due to wife's heart surgery, another summer moving to WA, another summer, almost 2 in AK left boat in WA and a few distractions like kids' sports, work, other hobbies, more work, my boat is in shambles.
Oh wait, it's not, it sits in the shop clean, dry and well maintained until we are able to use it!
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       07-28-2015, 12:46 AM Reply   
I think what he means to say is the average joe blow who bought a boat just to have, who only put 30hrs a season, won't ever change the oil in the life time of the boat, will leave old gas in the tank for months at a time, will let rodents make home under the cover that he hasn't removed in months, etc. Obviously, if your on this forum, you take care of your boat more than others. But, the average business man doesn't.

I've seen this more often than not, a boat with 80 hrs that looks like it's been sitting in a dirt lot for years. FYI, they still clean up good, but you know the mechanical stuff was never taken care off. I've also seen a 800 hour salt water boat look better than 100 hr fresh water boat. Like said above, the key is to buy a used boat from an owner that actually knows what he has or knows what he is talking about.
Old     (Bit)      Join Date: Aug 2014       07-28-2015, 1:50 AM Reply   
350h - 5 years - New leftover Supra 21V from 2008 - bought 2010 sold 2015 - deprication of the boat: 65.- per h

Last edited by Bit; 07-28-2015 at 1:52 AM.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-28-2015, 2:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250frider617 View Post
I think what he means to say is the average joe blow who bought a boat just to have, who only put 30hrs a season, won't ever change the oil in the life time of the boat, will leave old gas in the tank for months at a time, will let rodents make home under the cover that he hasn't removed in months, etc. Obviously, if your on this forum, you take care of your boat more than others. But, the average business man doesn't.

I've seen this more often than not, a boat with 80 hrs that looks like it's been sitting in a dirt lot for years. FYI, they still clean up good, but you know the mechanical stuff was never taken care off. I've also seen a 800 hour salt water boat look better than 100 hr fresh water boat. Like said above, the key is to buy a used boat from an owner that actually knows what he has or knows what he is talking about.
I think you hit the nail on the head. There are boats out there that rarely get used except for the occassional booze cruise once or twice a year and they sit on the lift the rest of the time. These are the boats I am concerned with. I had a bad experience with a low hour boat in the past. I feel if the boat would have had more use each year, some of the problems would have never happened or would have been repaired.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-28-2015, 2:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Haha dezul..... My 06 is definately neglected! Being 9 yrs old and only 185 hrs, it's ready to fall apart.
No one would ever want to buy it! Lol.
But after the orig owner putting 48 hrs on it in almost 4 years, a year off due to wife's heart surgery, another summer moving to WA, another summer, almost 2 in AK left boat in WA and a few distractions like kids' sports, work, other hobbies, more work, my boat is in shambles.
Oh wait, it's not, it sits in the shop clean, dry and well maintained until we are able to use it!
I bought an '06 in 2012 with 120 hours on it. It burned oil. Just cause you maintain your stuff, doesn't mean everyone else that sells a boat does.
Old     (all2matt)      Join Date: Apr 2015       07-28-2015, 6:55 AM Reply   
i just sold my 2010 tige Z1 a few weeks ago and it cost me $34.10/hr. put 302 hrs on it and sold it for $10,300 less than what I bought it for. but this doesnt inlcude winterizing, new jack, 1 ballast pump, and gas. so probably $3700 in gas + 1800 in maint + $2000 insurance , so after that being figured together Im at $59.01 total use for the boat...... OH wait I forget drinks, food, boat cleaner. just kidding :-)

Last edited by all2matt; 07-28-2015 at 6:58 AM.
Old     (all2matt)      Join Date: Apr 2015       07-28-2015, 7:02 AM Reply   
after figuring all this out, if you find a rental place that rents wake boats and they are under $60/hr, then jump all over it!!!!!! heck even at $75/hr if you get bthe boat all day for less than $450 that would be a better deal than buying your own.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-29-2015, 7:11 AM Reply   
Its best to never do these calculations on anything you really like
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-29-2015, 8:52 AM Reply   
Most of these seem values seem to be a new / newer boats.... but the used market is still so strong with the crazy $$$$ for new boats... I think this number is FAR less.

First boat I owned on my own - 1992 Hydrodyne, paid $8000... put 350 hours on it over 3 years, sold it for $7500. Lost out on gas(lets say $2500), insurance ($600), and ~$1000 in stereo upgrade.... total loss ~$13/hr.

2nd Boat - 95' Supersport Nautique .... paid $18k, after tower and ballast was in at $20k. Put on 500 hours, sold it to my brother (gave him a deal) for $16k. After gas, insurance and loss on sale, it was ~$16/hr.

Current boat - 04' LSV (we stole the thing) and paid $24k. With upgrades and insurance have another $1000 into it. This summer we've put on ~60 hours, I wouldn't be shocked if I could sell it for $30k next spring.... so there would be profit if we chose to go that route.
Old     (gpd005)      Join Date: May 2013       07-29-2015, 1:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
Most of these seem values seem to be a new / newer boats.... but the used market is still so strong with the crazy $$$$ for new boats... I think this number is FAR less.

First boat I owned on my own - 1992 Hydrodyne, paid $8000... put 350 hours on it over 3 years, sold it for $7500. Lost out on gas(lets say $2500), insurance ($600), and ~$1000 in stereo upgrade.... total loss ~$13/hr.

2nd Boat - 95' Supersport Nautique .... paid $18k, after tower and ballast was in at $20k. Put on 500 hours, sold it to my brother (gave him a deal) for $16k. After gas, insurance and loss on sale, it was ~$16/hr.

Current boat - 04' LSV (we stole the thing) and paid $24k. With upgrades and insurance have another $1000 into it. This summer we've put on ~60 hours, I wouldn't be shocked if I could sell it for $30k next spring.... so there would be profit if we chose to go that route.
you took the words out of my mouth. If you are ok with a used boat the $/hr drops quickly!! I've never figured it because if I wasn't spending the money on my boat it would be on a car or a motorcycle or something else. It's a hobby and I enjoy it. I'd much rather spend $30/hour in a boat with my family than $20 to see a movie. You can't put a price tag on family time on the water. Just my $.02
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-11-2015, 11:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
I bought an '06 in 2012 with 120 hours on it. It burned oil. Just cause you maintain your stuff, doesn't mean everyone else that sells a boat does.
I agree and I was being sarcastic. Actually the guy I bought my 06 from in 09 was the typical guy you're talking about, sort of. He had 2 service receipts and claimed another, but he beached it several times (brand new), scuffs on the lower keel, cosmetic. Stored it outside in the summer because "it was a pain to take the tower up and down". He!! He only used it like 3x a year. What's that, an extra half hour out of his year folding up the tower. Cooked 2 OE quality covers in the sun (at least it was covered) and the transom was getting oxidated.
Couple more years and it probably would have been a pile of shiiiiiit in his care, but a little buffing and garage storage went a long way. And not enough hours or years to mess up the mechanicals even if he never serviced it. He did claim to run stabil in it.
I would have rather he left it out in the winter (Vegas) than the summer!
Some people don't know how to take care of their stuff which blows me away. I've always valued a dollar more than that.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-12-2015, 8:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
Its best to never do these calculations on anything you really like
TRUTH

Kinda like how much does a deer hunter pay per pound of meat. Trust me, nobody wants to know those numbers and you DAMN SURE don't want the wife to see them.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-12-2015, 8:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post

similar story with my first. paid 8000, sold it for 7000 8 years and 250 hours later. bought the 2006 last year. let someone else take the depreciation hit and your dollars will get you a LOT more boat, vehicle, etc.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-16-2015, 4:43 PM Reply   
Never cared about hours on a boat or miels on a car. Pretty much irrelevant. Really high engine hours may mean the engine needs a freshening up soon. Rings and bearings are cheap, even machine work is cheap compared to the cost of a boat. I'd be more concerned about a boat with abnormally low hours (not used, maybe forgotten about adn neglected) than an average or above average hours boat that was likely used and enjoyed. Of course I bought a 22 year old boat with only 462 hours (21/yr) and it has been fairly trouble free in 4 years which I've averaged about 75 hours/yr. I've done a starter, alternator (upgraded 100 amp), electronic ignition, blower, resealed transom brackets/hardware along with installed Perfect Pass. I consider that fairly trouble free, and I know I can sell it for what I have into it. This boat has cost me very little aside from gas and a little time for normal maintenance and wear items.
Old     (chris_schweda)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-19-2015, 5:41 AM Reply   
I bought a 2004 san 210 at 34,500 in March 2008 with 140 hrs I sold it last July with 1220 for 25,000 it stayed in a boat house 90% of the time without a cover. We dried the interior every time yet with condensation it probably was wet every night I saw more wear during the short winter then using it all summer.
I bought my G23 last July with 581 hrs on it. It was the 8th G23 made and was used as a demo boat by a pro and I believe the boat that was in many of the first videos I saw. It was in Very good condition. In the last year and 1 month I now have 962 hrs on it I ride most Friday afternoons some Wednesdays and every Sat and Sun if I am in town. It hangs from hooks with the tower down, covered with a blower in it to keep it dry. I have no Idea what it would be worth yet I would feel comfortable buying it from me right now. I check the fluid regularly and it burns no oil at all do I change the oil often. Many hrs are putting around late at night we start at noon normally and sometimes come in much past midnight. I personally think hrs are not a bad thing if it is not abused. I try not to think about cost per hour because I do not want to take the fun out of it. LOL
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-19-2015, 12:23 PM Reply   
Chris if u were to offer up this G I'd venture to say it would be the first one we see go on the $60's! Well maybe not $60's but still I'm guessing major hit with your hours and yr. And that's the point of this thread. How bad are guys taking hits on $100k boats? Back when u bought and it had over 500hrs I'm sure u for a decent discount as compared to a similar G with more common sub 200hrs.