Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-11-2016, 12:04 PM Reply   
I am looking for a skim style board. I usually ride an Inland Surfer Blue Lake . I'm 6' 220. Any suggestions ?
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       07-11-2016, 1:44 PM Reply   
I just got a Phase 5 Model-X 58". I'm 6'4 240 and love it! It's a tri-fin skim board so may be a no go if you are set on a traditional single fin, but its working nicely for my first skim as well.
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-11-2016, 1:52 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info Matt...I'm kinda looking at the Phase 5 Diamond...ill check out the Model-X too.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-12-2016, 8:35 AM Reply   
Check out the Victoria Factor PCX in large. It's a high performance skim style board that works great at your size. Otherwise if you want something more mellow but still fast and easy to do tricks on the Agent or the large Captain would be fun.
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-12-2016, 10:46 AM Reply   
Just ordered the Victoria Factor large board !
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-12-2016, 2:42 PM Reply   
the phase 5 trident is a great large boy skim. 300lbs no problem on a solid wave
Old     (all2matt)      Join Date: Apr 2015       07-15-2016, 2:07 PM Reply   
phase 5 trident is what I got too. 6'4" 260ish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MzT...ature=youtu.be
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-15-2016, 3:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post
Check out the Victoria Factor PCX in large. It's a high performance skim style board that works great at your size. Otherwise if you want something more mellow but still fast and easy to do tricks on the Agent or the large Captain would be fun.
After buying the factor PCX on your recommendation a couple years ago, I'll say that you better have a BIG wake and be on your game or you're falling right out the back on this board and I'm barely 200 lbs. There's just not enough real estate with that board in that size to say it's big enough for truly big guys. I don't care what Victoria says.

Don't get me wrong. I love the handling characteristics. It's squirrely as heck and a ton of fun. Just too small for bigger guys IMO. The only other gripe I have about it is that it's pretty hard to teach a newb how to surf on it. It's for experienced riders only. Actually, that's not even a gripe since newbs are not who it's made for. My weight fluctuates between 190-200 and there's a big difference in how it rides depending on how my scale reads.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-16-2016, 9:37 PM Reply   
Sent you a PM "Markj"
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-16-2016, 11:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
Sent you a PM "Markj"
Thanks. I responded.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-17-2016, 7:51 AM Reply   
Mark, you may be riding too back foot heavy. Last weekend I was doing clinics and demos in Utah at the Utah Wakesurf Fest and had many riders around 230 loving the shape and size. That was on stock dealer boats with full ballast.
It's not for everyone of course, but I wouldnt say the size chart is misleading.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-17-2016, 8:38 AM Reply   
I ride with both feet as far forward as the traction pads will allow. I still LOVE the board. It spins like no other. I just disagree with the sizing chart. I rode my large and the sample XL they had at Polar Bear back to back in 2014 and that's what formed my opinion. After 2014, the sizing charts changed, but the shape/size didn't. Like they decided to phase out the XL and then just raised the numbers on the weight limits of the large. I never understood that.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-17-2016, 10:23 AM Reply   
One thing I failed to mention is that I'm an intermediate level rider (which I think most people are) and the PCX is an expert level board for sure. My level plays a role in my opinion so take it for what it's worth.