Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-12-2016, 1:21 PM Reply   
so I picked up surfing with my lake neighbor this year and am looking to purchase my own board. I used his tsunami board ( skim style I think) and am able to go ropeless as well as ropless with my son and daughter between my legs. ( I can't do any tricks yet and I am still learning to pump to pick up speed.) I am 6-2 215 and am looking to purchase a board to progress into.

I also I take out a lot of 1st timers and wanted to know should I pick up a surf style beginner board to have for everyone who is just learning, is it easier?(plus I have never rode a surf style so I would like to try as well?) I hate how expensive the boards are as I would love to try 5-6 before purchasing but I guess there really isn't a way to do that

I assume now is the time of year to get good deals on boards correct?

thanks in advance.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       10-16-2016, 10:11 AM Reply   
Yeah you're right. Its the best time to have good off season deals.
board shops are paid to help you with you're choice and its your first board every board will do the job.
yes board are expensive but if you take one that you like you will easily keep it long time. sometimes its worth the money buy a good one and keep it 5years then buy a cheap and change it every 2years.. but its your choice.
for board reccommendation users prefer respond when people want specific info, when you begin the only thing you need to know is if the board can handle your size and every seller can tell you that.

you have 2 different style, skim and surf. for a longtime wakesurfer its 2 different world of feeling but for a beginner its not a big difference. surf style will be more stable, yes maybe a little bit easier and surf style board can be bigger. bigger the board more stability you will have.

for my opinion with years you will become better and thats why you should buy an affordable board. hybrid are good first board they are allaround. if you like to ride with your kids between your legs long and large board will be better but less fun.
skimmer are made to make tricks like 360 and things like that.
surfstyle give you more real surf sensation. they are responsive and more made for air tricks.

for example, i learn with a skim but but i bought a surfstyle because i really prefer the feeling. used wakesurf is a really good option too. many people (like me) buy a beginner and resale it next summer.
now i have a skimmer and a surfstyle. but my skimmer always stay on the rack haha.. for me surfstyle is way better but everybody's different.

its really a matter of what you will do with it. do you want to make lots of round tricks (skim), lot of air trick ( aggresive surfstyle) or just chill and enjoy the ride with your kids (hybrid)

Last edited by Mike88; 10-16-2016 at 10:19 AM. Reason: tapping error
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-17-2016, 9:19 AM Reply   
thanks for the info! I am probably going to go with a larger surf style board since most of my riding is done with friends and first timers ( who will use my board ) and family (kids between my legs). I can always grab my neighbors skim board that I learned on to try tricks and such should I progress to that.. ( or like u said look for a used one)

I appreciate the info.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-17-2016, 7:05 PM Reply   
Murph, I can cut you a deal on a blemish Ringer XL. Perfect for what you are looking to do.

http://chaossurfco.com/wakesurfboards/chaos-ringer-xl

Nick
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-18-2016, 6:36 AM Reply   
sounds good nick, I'll send you a pm