Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (surferjb)      Join Date: Jun 2016       06-29-2016, 8:09 AM Reply   
What boats, under 25K are good for wake surfing? What models and years should I stay away from or lean towards. I'm only looking at v-drive boats and not direct drive for wake surfing. Are some direct drive boats good for surfing?

I think I can get a 2004 malibu 24lSV for little over budget or 03 and 04 centurion for just under budget.

Ideally, it would be under 20K and be great surf boat, but then I am looking at 2000 2001 models. I have heard the hulls are not as good for wake surfing as the later boats. Is this true?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-29-2016, 9:19 AM Reply   
those early centurions are gonna be the closest thing to a surf boat. couldn't get the wake balance for chit but they surfed better than anything else of that era. I don't know their specific models and which ones to target vs avoid.

That Malibu LSV should put out a good wave and wake. the wave is gonna take a lot of weight tho
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       06-29-2016, 10:13 AM Reply   
Don't discount the old Tige's...I have a 21v w/ a custom enzo sac plumbed in and I go ropeless all day on a cheap LF Fish board (upgrading to a Ronix Thruster this year).

I'm actually about to put mine up for sale since the wife gave me the tacit go ahead for a new boat....

2000 Tige 21v RE
- New Crate motor due to a block defect on the previous one (previous owner did not winterize properly which is why it had a new block in it)..I've got all the paperwork to go with it and can put you in touch with the shop that works on the boat (Tige Dealer)
- 2016 Boatmate Trailer w/ 5 yr warranty (trailer has less than 30 miles on it)
- 1500 pd automated ballast for port side surfing (can add another bag for starboard if wanted)
- Acme 1411 prop w/ stock 523 in a weekend saver kit bag
- Indy Tower w/bimini (so no metcrap tower)
- Wetsounds/kicker in-boats w/ Wetsounds XS-12 driven by a Kicker KXM-800.5 amp
- Perfect Pass Stargazer (GPS)
- Graphics stripped and the new Tige Chromax Emblem put on
- Evolution Custom Cover (ask around, the best cover you can buy)

I'm forgetting a few things but feel free to PM me if your interested...

I don't have many pics on my phone but I felt I needed to at least share one

Those are from when it was getting put on the brand new trailer a month or so ago (we had to buy the trailer because we moved into a new house where the HOA doesn't allow boats to be parked outside)..
Old     (Riley212)      Join Date: May 2015       06-30-2016, 6:30 PM Reply   
Centurion avalanche, cyclone
Tige 22v 24v
Sanger v230, v215, v210

You want a boat that has a pronounced V shape at the transom, the flatter it is the worse it will be for surfing, the big malibu boats do get good wake too though.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/5645567146.html

http://modesto.craigslist.org/boa/5632625005.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/bod/5661084709.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/5652849455.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/bod/5659033033.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/bod/5661245099.html
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-01-2016, 6:26 AM Reply   
my v230 surfs pretty well with 2K in it. was gonna say idk if you can get one sub 25, then found this v215 in Texas for 18
http://www.onlyinboards.com/2006-San...xas-57856.aspx

yes those tiges were surf machines as well

Last edited by denverd1; 07-01-2016 at 6:29 AM.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       07-01-2016, 7:05 AM Reply   
If surf is your primary skip the Malibu, it has very low free board. With the deeper v like tige, MB, centurion not only will your surf wave be better it will ride better in typical weekend choppy water. With our 2002 Malibu if it got windy and choppy it was time to drain and go home. With my MB we stay out and can surf through chop way better than my Malibu could
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-01-2016, 9:11 PM Reply   
Avy
Old     (surfidaho)      Join Date: May 2014       07-04-2016, 3:03 PM Reply   
Under 20k is tough but can be done. Older Tiges (2100v,21v,22v,2300v,23v,24v) surf great. I love my 2300v and it surfs great on both sides. Centurion Avy makes a great wave as well but not as deep a hull. Sanger v230, v215 will be over budget but produce nice waves. Keep your eyes open and be ready to move fast if you see one.
Pic of my 2300v wave cause pics are fun
[IMG][/IMG]
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       07-06-2016, 5:39 AM Reply   
^Nice!
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-13-2016, 5:45 AM Reply   
You said its great for both sides, do you have any shots of the goofy side? Its amazing I am looking for my first boat, instead of using my families. All I see is people getting great wake on the regular side. I am goofy footed.
Old     (Copenglenn)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-13-2016, 6:18 AM Reply   
If you are goofy footed, I would look into a Malibu. Plumb in some 750's in the back lockers and get a suckgate and it should produce a nice wave.
Old     (surfidaho)      Join Date: May 2014       09-13-2016, 8:06 AM Reply   
I am afraid I do not have any recent shots since adding the FAE, surf flap, and gate setup. We do not surf that side nearly as much. I should be out this weekend and will see if I can a pic.
Old     (Shane10p)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-13-2016, 8:10 AM Reply   
I have this Malibu for sale really clean little boat big motor , tower and $2200 aftermarket wedge done by Malibu. Would surf great with a PNP system. I also have a brand new Ronix wake shaper that comes with the boat.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/5727774778.html

Last edited by Shane10p; 09-13-2016 at 8:14 AM. Reason: More info
Old     (tahoesurfer)      Join Date: Nov 2010       09-13-2016, 7:49 PM Reply   
Here is a little info on my boat from a few years ago right after I got it. An older Tige is well worth looking for.http://wake9.com/community/content.p...and-Noseriding
Old     (surfidaho)      Join Date: May 2014       09-20-2016, 7:18 PM Reply   
I'm afraid the weather turned ugly this past weekend so I have no pics of my goofy wave. Here is the thread from Tige Owners about "classic" Tige waves. You can see that lots of people have had success with older Tiges... on both sides Look for DuffyMahoney and Stingreye as great examples of goofy waves. You will have to put some effort into whatever older boat you get. It is well documented that almost all the old Tiges surf great on both sides and how to get them there. Post up when you find your ride!

"Classic" Tige waves:
http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...t=classic+wave

Last edited by surfidaho; 09-20-2016 at 7:18 PM. Reason: omission
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-22-2016, 6:53 AM Reply   
How is it weighted ? DO you have any surf gate or diy gate on it? I am looking at 04 avy, but it has the walk through, and im goofy side so it sucks for me.
Old     (surfidaho)      Join Date: May 2014       09-22-2016, 8:41 AM Reply   
The pic above is one of my first runs with a DIY gate. I had too much list in that configuration. I feel the wave is even better now. I run a custom port bag (1469 lbs), 1000lb starboard, 650 bow sac, 250 lbs of lead - most in the nose but will move as needed depending on the crew. If I run goofy I just don't fill the port bag all the way and have a gate for that side as well. The difference takes about 3 min to fill/empty to switch sides. All ballast is hidden, which is important to me. The addition of the "surf flap" or "mahoney mud flap" really cleans up the wave. IMO this is what allows for a nice clean wave on the goofy side of my boat. The regular side was always clean, but is even cleaner now. There are better waves, but they cost more than $20K Ri237, LSV25, Axis24, SE575 are the real standouts from what I have ridden this summer. Otherwise look for an old Tige and you wont be disappointed.

Obligatory pic:
Old    Wakesurfmax            05-07-2017, 2:52 PM Reply   
Why haven't the old v drive nautiques been talked about...the old super sports v drive and can be under 20k...are there any other nautiques I think that's it for old v drives for nautiques...any others you can think of???
Old    Wakesurfmax            05-07-2017, 2:54 PM Reply   
Are there any other good surf boats under 20k? Or are the old tiges the best?better than old super sports?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-08-2017, 2:06 PM Reply   
yes a 97 Tige is better than a 87 sun sport. super sport is even better. They've been talked about.

Now that you know what you're looking for (I hope) time to get on some sites (boattrader.com, etc) and start looking. if you don't have cash IN HAND, don't bother with this step. Making another thread on here isn't gonna get you any closer to buying a boat. If you can't afford a boat this year (and it's ok. we all started somewhere) here's how you get on the water:

Good chance there's someone on your lake who can afford a boat, but doesn't have a solid crew. Show up, stick your hand out and introduce yourself. Be straight up with what you trying to do. You're there to help when you're needed, stay out of the way when not. You help launch the boat, be the rope dude, pull down/put up boards, whatever else the owner asks of you. Hand him a beer if he doesn't have one. You can take on more responsibility as the owner sees fit. In exchange for a pull or two when the boat candy goes home. best water anyway. You help pull the boat or put it on the lift. THEN you start cleaning the boat, inside and out. trash out, ropes/jackets/boards/bags put away. reload cooler - whatever.

Start doing this and you'll get a call every time they go out.

hang out by the launch on Saturday morning if you aren't sure who to talk to
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       05-08-2017, 2:35 PM Reply   
Sanger V210. Probably one of the best budget boats to be had. Interior fit and finish is above par, thought not overwraught. Home built surf gate with 750lb, sacs in each locker. Likes bow weight and is a fuel miser.
Attached Images

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-10-2017, 6:29 AM Reply   
Here's a clip of my 2000 Mastercraft X-Star with a NautiCurl Wake Shaper on it. I had the boat evenly weighted with about 3,000 total ballast in the boat. The toeside/regular wake is just as good. Before adding a wake shaper my boats surf wave was okay, but with the addition of the Wake Shaper it turned into a surfing machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SwSjsCW-us