Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (HotBoarder10121)      Join Date: May 2012       01-14-2015, 8:01 PM Reply   
i am in the market to buy a new car. my budget is about 10,000 and i would like to get eveyone's opinion about the best option for some one that drives about an hour to catch a ride on other peoples boat. seems like a small truck would be the best since i could throw the boards and maybe wet suits in the back and still get good gas milage. i saw the thread about the board racks for cars and that really sparked my interest, but I'm sure the boards would kill your gas millage. thanx y'all
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-14-2015, 8:54 PM Reply   
get a late 90's or early 2000's 4runner or a tacoma (good luck finding one). you can get a 4runner for around 5-6 and have some change to throw at it to bring it up to par, get the 3.4L V6 and you are set
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-14-2015, 8:58 PM Reply   
I drive a ton to ride whether it is to the lake, delta, or cable parks. I put about 30k a year on my car. I couldnt be happier with my old corolla. It fits all my gear no problem and is great on gas. I have had over 15 wakesurf boards in my car haha.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-15-2015, 5:26 AM Reply   
Honda or Toyota both are bullet proof.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-15-2015, 5:52 AM Reply   
go buy something 1-2 years old...put abt 10-20% down....finance the rest...dont' waste your cash on a car. Rates are still at all time lows.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       01-15-2015, 7:52 AM Reply   
Zack!
Used Honda accord 4 door, or used Honda Civic 4 Door.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-15-2015, 7:55 AM Reply   
ford escape hybrid ... 45mpgs
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       01-15-2015, 7:58 AM Reply   
add a used Subaru wagon in that list too
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-21-2015, 2:28 PM Reply   
Love it or hate it the Prius is a steal at $10K and it holds a lot with 45 mpg. There are so many of them they are cheap in the used market. Cheap maintenance as well.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-21-2015, 3:07 PM Reply   
If you live in the Pacific Northwest you pretty much have to by a Subaru.lol. Seriously, every other car is a Subaru especially if you go to a ski hill.
Old     (HotBoarder10121)      Join Date: May 2012       01-30-2015, 5:10 PM Reply   
so heres what happened. my wife's grandfather has got his 89' chevy s10 in his garage. so i ask him when the last time he actually needed to use that truck. he said not in forever. he's the first owner. he only drives it to run the motor and get the oil changed, lol. recently his wife confused the gas with the brake and put the front end of their commuter car into a yogurt shop. so she stopped driving, so now they only have need for their one brand new car. so i asks him how much, and he handed me the keys!!! FREE .99 can't get much better then that. ill post some pics after i bring it home this weekend.

sup migs!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-30-2015, 5:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotBoarder10121 View Post
so heres what happened. my wife's grandfather has got his 89' chevy s10 in his garage. so i ask him when the last time he actually needed to use that truck. he said not in forever. he's the first owner. he only drives it to run the motor and get the oil changed, lol. recently his wife confused the gas with the brake and put the front end of their commuter car into a yogurt shop. so she stopped driving, so now they only have need for their one brand new car. so i asks him how much, and he handed me the keys!!! FREE .99 can't get much better then that. ill post some pics after i bring it home this weekend.

sup migs!
free is a good price. 4.3L or or 2.5L? Is it a Blazer or pickup. Love me a good ole 1st gen Dime. If it is 2wd I have a set of 1" lowering springs you can have for near free.

I picked up a 92 accord 4-door a year and a half ago that was a one owner and 120k mile car. I got it for a grand and have put another 750 or so into it for tires and front axles. I want a nicer rig but it is so reliable and so cheap. I know it is going to last another 70-100K before it really needs anything major as well. So hard to get rid of.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-01-2015, 9:18 AM Reply   
Car board rack...

Name:  20140907_085739.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  132.6 KB

Name:  20140907_090003.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  119.9 KB
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-02-2015, 4:38 PM Reply   
^ That car board rack is hilarious!

Zack, congrats on a free truck!

I know you don't need car ideas anymore, but since I had one typed up earlier, here it is anyway:

I've had a good experience with my 2008 Honda Element. Wife doesn't care for it because it's a no frills little box (washable rubber/plastic floors instead of a carpet, no heated power seats, or a backup camera, or blind spot warnings, etc, etc) but it's been perfect for me. Been super reliable. Back seats can be raised out of the way, with that, I got enough space for several wakeboards, a longboard skate with plenty of space left of gear. I get around 25 mpg when I don't drive crazy, which isn't great by today's standards, but there are plenty for sale under $10K. With AWD great for snow too. Again, plenty of space for snowboards and gear for 3 ppl (I have one of the back seats out, just because I don't need it, so mine only seats 3).
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-03-2015, 7:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotBoarder10121 View Post

sup migs!
S10's rock! Is it 2WD? If so, get some 2" drop spindles and either cut a coil and a half off or buy the lowered springs (best choice) and then a 4" block in the back. You can also flip the overload spring in the back over to get another inch of lowering.
Old     (HotBoarder10121)      Join Date: May 2012       03-02-2015, 8:43 PM Reply   
yea its a s10 blazer, pretty sweet little truck. I've used it a few times to go boarding. just threw the board in the back and all my gear and hopped on the road, super easy. its a 4.3L so its not the greatest on gas but better then my suburban! and like i said i got it for free, which is the best price! that car board rack is freaking dope great idea. i been thinking of putting some of those racks just in the back of the s10's bed, it would prevent them from sliding around back there.