Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (vermast5)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-11-2013, 2:23 PM Reply   
Hey guys,

New to this forum, I have spent the last 4 or 5 day and a good 20 hours reading all over the net and looking at pricing... Im looking to buy a used 2002 Supra SS for around 24K...... Is this a fair price to pay? The boat is in really good condition... no rips, tares, or anything like that in the interior. As far as the motor is concerned it is also in great condition with just over 200 Hours on it....
So after shopping around for quite sometime i think i found a good deal. I am upgrading from a Larson 212 I/O..... so this should be a big upgrade within my budget.....

Thanks
Kyle
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-11-2013, 2:39 PM Reply   
That is probably a good deal. Not a smoking deal, but a deal I would be happy with if it is in excellent condition. It is hard to find a clean low hour boat. So it really comes down to if it has everything you want and colors are right. It is a great boat. It is basically the SSV of that era, but a direct drive. Good luck and post pics if you pull the trigger.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       03-11-2013, 7:34 PM Reply   
Think about how much that boat cost new and scale your price down a bit... It's a buyers market out there
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-12-2013, 2:48 AM Reply   
That's not a good deal. When I was boat shopping 2 years ago, those were a dime a dozen and normally selling for 20k or less. Only reason I even noticed them is the sellers would usually not advertise them as direct drives and I'd see a decent price just to find out either by looking at pics or through e-mail that it was a direct drive.

24k can get you a V-drive in good condition of that vintage if you keep shopping.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-12-2013, 5:20 AM Reply   
I agree with Nitrous, but with the caveat that I don't know how many inboards/vdrives are available in your area. I sold my direct drive 2000 Tige 20i a little under two years ago, and the guy who bought mine, was also looking at a 01 Launch. I think I sold to the guy for $13,500, and he took mine over paying $14,500 for the launch.

I will say that the market for used boats has picked up tremendously the last couple years, and prices have followed. I just don't think they have gotten that much higher. Check out onlyinboards.com, and you'll get a gauge on what you can get in that range. Good luck, boat shopping is fun! In fact, I think I enjoy it even more than owning.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       03-12-2013, 5:48 AM Reply   
A regular launch DD from that year I think should be in the teens, maybe 20, this is a slight step up, although lower profile boat (less draft) so depends if that is desirable or not, but I wouldn't pay over 22 for a mint one. You should be able to find a 22SSV in that year for mid 20s... I think I've seen an 03 for 26... Chop a grand for a year and another 2-3+ for direct drive.

Looks like only inboards is consistent with the price you are seeing. I think that they're high personally, but maybe that's just me. Here is one option though. Vdrive for the same price...

https://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=36628

Last edited by wakebordr11; 03-12-2013 at 5:53 AM.
Old     (vermast5)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-12-2013, 6:22 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone for your insight and help!!!

I have attached a few links below, basically the boat I am looking at and then a few references that I found.
I live in Windsor Ontario Canada and the prices here seem crazy high on this side of the board... Point being a boat from down south is pretty much out of the question and that seems to be where the best deals are........

Any other people from Ontario here that could give some help??

Here is a 2010 link that seems like they were going for 25K back 3 years ago.... Has the prices stood still since then?
http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/showth...2-22SSV-Launch

Link to the add.. Although its on another site for $24,990
http://boaterschoiceonline.com/UsedD...ckNum=sn121128

Links to a few others I was looking at...
1) http://www.autotrader.ca/a/MB%20Spor...howcpo=ShowCPO
2) http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ431821608
3) http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=36981
4) http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ459423435
5) http://www.bay-marine.com/usedwakeboats.html

Last edited by vermast5; 03-12-2013 at 6:29 AM.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-12-2013, 6:45 AM Reply   
that MB add is whack, new 2012 interior with wet sounds pictured, add says Merc engine with a pic of a PCM
Old     (vermast5)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-12-2013, 6:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by surffresh View Post
that MB add is whack, new 2012 interior with wet sounds pictured, add says Merc engine with a pic of a PCM
Never noticed... I will shoot the guy a text... Thanks for the heads up!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-12-2013, 7:50 AM Reply   
Delta, I would have to strongly disagree with you. It is not a buyers market. It is a very strong seller's market. Good used inboards are worth more than they were before the recession when all the repo boats skewed everything. With the crazy prices of new wake boats clean, low hour, nice boats are holding there value and have gone up probably 20-25% in value over the last 2 years. This isn't the 2008/2009 repo boat fest where you could get a wakeboat for 30-50% of what it would of sold before the recession.

Personally I think a clean, well optioned, low hour, good color 2002 SSV is worth in the 25-30k neighborhood. I would expect the direct drive 22 to be in the 20-25k range based on that. I think 24k is at the high end but I wouldn't feel bad paying 21 or 22k for the 22ss
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-12-2013, 8:57 AM Reply   
I agree with Brett and my original comments.... Whoever thinks it is a buyers market right now is not in the boat market. I know in my area it is a sellers market big time. If you are in a buyers market, tell me where you live and I will come and buy up all those boats and bring them out west... Boat prices are higher now than they were 3-4 years ago for the same boat. This boat is not a steal as I stated, but he is in Canada. Prices are higher there and keep in mind this is low hours and clean from what we can tell. Definitely not a bad deal, but not a steal....
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       03-12-2013, 3:03 PM Reply   
If anyone thinks we aren't still in a funk-recession, they're kidding themselves. Luxuries like boats aren't being bought at rapid pace, there are still a lot of people who are getting out of them because they can't afford to participate anymore or don't want to afford to participate.

Brett, you told me I was wrong, that it isn't a buyers market but then said what I said that this boat is overpriced/on the high end. If it's a sellers market and his mint boat was worth 25 it would have sold for 25. I initially thought it was worth 20, I retracted when I realized that market value was 20-24 and that he should be in the 21-22 range for a decent deal, which you agreed with. There would be no negotiation if it was a sellers market...

The other thing is, I reject the sellers market comment. There are many options out there. The classics are holding their value but there are deals and people want to move. I think the point I want to make to the prospective buyer is that he should shop around and negotiate with this guy if that's the boat he wants... Buyers make the market. It is only worth what someone will pay for it.

Last edited by wakebordr11; 03-12-2013 at 3:07 PM.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-12-2013, 3:30 PM Reply   
I buy and sell alot of recreational items every year(boats, snowmobiles, etc.) I still see it as a buyers market. If you want to move something you have to be on the low end of market price or it sits. Wake boats aren't any exception. Prime example..the local Malibu dealer has 43 used boats on their site. If it was a sellers market they would be sold way below that number. It's still early in the season and still preseason in most places. Good deals should still be had. now come May with open water and warmer temps....completely different story.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-13-2013, 8:04 AM Reply   
What I have learned from the last two posts is I might have to start looking for boats in VT and MN......
Brett is from the same part of the country as I am and it is a sellers market right now if you have a clean wakeboard boat. No question about it. Auction boats go for more than I can retail one for and stuff online if clean and even relatively decent priced will sell fast. We have BC and AB (Canada) buyers in this neck of the woods and they are picking up a lot of it. Different parts of the country bring different values and sounds like it is more evident now than ever....
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-13-2013, 8:55 AM Reply   
Sounds like it. Midwest is for sure a buyers market still.
Old     (vermast5)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-13-2013, 11:39 AM Reply   
Well im headed there Sat... I will let you guys know how it goes!

I have all the paper work in order and it is truly simple to import it...

Thanks for all your help.. ****ty part is paying 14% sales tax in ontario!

Kyle
Old     (vermast5)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-22-2013, 8:22 AM Reply   
Well today is a good day!

I ended up buying the boat for $19,000... Not a huge steal but a very good fair price I think..
The boat is in really good condition, although it needs a very good cleaning and a good polish.

I pick up the boat tomorrow am in the states, Ill take a few pictures this weekend and post them on Monday!

Thanks for the help,
Kyle
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-22-2013, 12:16 PM Reply   
Nice work. I would say that is a great deal if it is clean. Enjoy and congrats. Pics......
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-22-2013, 12:34 PM Reply   
Congrats on the purchase! I am not sure on what model, but my uncle has a direct drive Supra and it puts out a pretty solid wake.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       03-22-2013, 4:21 PM Reply   
Wow, not a buyers market and this guy just got over 20% off with a little haggling... Your response polarbill?

Nice deal. Sounds like a great deal at that price, and just what you should've paid. Good job! Let's see pics when you get it cleaned up!
Old     (vermast5)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-17-2013, 8:40 AM Reply   
Well I havent forgot about you guys! Ive just been super busy with the boat and work and life the last 2 months.

But I have attached the pictures of the boat... Unfortunatly i didnt get enough before shots but the haul of the boat needed to be polished dearly... Other then that the boat was in mint shape.. I have attached a few picture of the boat, and one of me hitting the wake for the first time... I might add this is probably my 10th time ever wakeboarding do no jokes! lol Also only the rear ballast was filled but to me the wake looks great..

Thanks for you help,
Kyle
Attached Images

Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-17-2013, 9:27 AM Reply   
Nice.... Yeah that oxidation will polish up nicely. Good score
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-17-2013, 3:01 PM Reply   
I just picked up that exact same boat in the Launch SSV form (Vdrive) for $20,500 last month. Needed some work but the engine ran well.

That is the Launch direct drive correct?
Old     (vermast5)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-21-2013, 5:14 AM Reply   
Yes the boat is a Direct Drive.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-21-2013, 8:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
Wow, not a buyers market and this guy just got over 20% off with a little haggling... Your response polarbill?

Nice deal. Sounds like a great deal at that price, and just what you should've paid. Good job! Let's see pics when you get it cleaned up!
I know this is old but it still doesn't change my opinion that it is a buyers market. One guy getting a good deal on a boat isn't proof that it is a buyer's market. Especially not when the one transaction is for a yellow direct drive.

To the OP, sounds like you got a great deal on your boat. Have fun and be safe. The best part is if and when you decide to get a vdrive you will probably be able to sell your boat for around what you paid if that happens in the next 3 years or so.

Congrats.