Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Radmand)      Join Date: May 2015       05-13-2015, 11:23 PM Reply   
I am new to this forum, but have searched it for quite some time. I'm looking at purchasing a new (to me) boat soon. I found an 07 X-1 for sale, has about 500 hours, has the 310 HP motor (not the MCX). I know this is the same hull as the older X-Star, but wanted your opinions. I read a lot of down sides to the 310 motor, I know the cabin is cramped, but wanted some input on this boat.

They are asking around $30k no Bimini or tower speakers. Seems like this was the "bare basic" model. They did upgrade from the stock ballast with new pumps.

Thanks in advance!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-14-2015, 1:54 AM Reply   
X1 is a great boat but 30k for a bare bones 07 with 500hrs seems a little steap. I think the 310 motor will be fine with a good prop on it
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-14-2015, 3:54 AM Reply   
That price is about the going rate. X-1 is a great wakeboard boat. If your main concern is wakeboarding and you don't run a big crew, you'll love it. The 310 motor is fine. If you get up around 3k ballast then you will want to get a different prop but other than that you're good. I run around 2500 with mine and it handles it no problem. If you like to surf a lot or constantly have a lot of people with you, then search for something else. That said, the fact that it's not a huge boat is what makes it drive so much better than most wake boats and if you trailer a lot, it makes that easier also. We typically only wakeboard and don't like having more than 5 or 6 people on the boat so it's perfect for us.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-14-2015, 5:09 AM Reply   
That price doesn't seem steep to me.

Be glad it doesn't have tower speakers for 2 reasons. 1 - You can use it for negotiation. Hit em with the ole, "welllllll i like it but it doesn't have tower speakers and my wife/gf/bf really needs a bimini top so I'm gonna have to add that stuff on..." 2 - Most tower speakers suck and you're better off doing a custom setup.

I don't use my bimini that often. I understand the draw to it, and when I do use it, I'm glad to have it. You can add one on pretty reasonably though.

As far as opinions of the boat itself, I think that being a classically well-known hull is a huge plus. The boat will wakeboard very well. Not a great hull for wakesurfing so keep that in mind. The engine? Haven't heard much about the 310; like most boats, if you prop it right it'll work just fine.

What other options does it have? Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro I assume? 3 Tank ballast? Good trailer? If it's in good shape, I say start negotiating a little bit. If they're asking 30-31k, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to get it for 29k. Anything in the 20s would be a great deal, IMO.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-14-2015, 6:48 AM Reply   
I think thats a good deal on that boat. I have an 02 xstar that I would not sell too much less than that. These boats are holding their value very well. If you can get it for 29 I think that is great. I have the same motor just prop it right and its fine. I have a 1235 with almost 2k of ballast and it will yank your arms off if I want. Surf wake is ok if you ride regular goofy is terrible. I have to say the size does get to me and would love to have a bigger boat. Good luck with your purchase dont worry about the engine and power it will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radmand View Post
I am new to this forum, but have searched it for quite some time. I'm looking at purchasing a new (to me) boat soon. I found an 07 X-1 for sale, has about 500 hours, has the 310 HP motor (not the MCX). I know this is the same hull as the older X-Star, but wanted your opinions. I read a lot of down sides to the 310 motor, I know the cabin is cramped, but wanted some input on this boat.

They are asking around $30k no Bimini or tower speakers. Seems like this was the "bare basic" model. They did upgrade from the stock ballast with new pumps.

Thanks in advance!
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-14-2015, 2:12 PM Reply   
Like he said above friend had an 01 or 02 Xstar and when he put a better prop on it it would jump out of the hole with a little over 2k in weight. He sold his for around 24k I believe. If you can get it under 30k you are doing fine. Resale will hold up on it well as long as the new ones keeps going way up in price each year.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-14-2015, 4:05 PM Reply   
I agree with the price. I'd expect similar for my 2004 X2
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-14-2015, 8:34 PM Reply   
As others have said, it's a great wakeboard boat, but there are some negatives. To get a good wake, a bow sac is a must, and it takes up the entire bow area. There's just not enough room under the seats for enough water weight, so unless you put lead up there, which really isn't practical, especially if you're trailering, it's pretty much like a closed bow boat. I have a 99 without stadium seating, and its pretty full with 4 adults. Also, there's very little storage, especially if you put 750s in the rear, which is pretty standard, and a few amps and batteries in the passenger storage compartment, which also is pretty standard.

The Acme 1235 is the wakeboard prop of choice, and you'll have no problem riding around with 3000 pounds of water, but it really cuts into your top end, so if you have to cover a lot of area to get to your riding spot this may be a consideration.
Old     (Radmand)      Join Date: May 2015       05-14-2015, 10:34 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the feedback. I was only worried about the hours on the 310 HP motor and having too much strain on the transmission when weighted out. But sounds like (and from doing a light search) that I shouldn't have any issues.

As luck has it, I JUST ran into an 06 x-1 with less than 200 hours and a few more options (but doesn't have the heater like the 07) for the same price. This one is from a dealer so hopefully it will make the finance process easier. Going to place my down payment on it tomorrow and am using Essex credit for financing. Unless anyone has any other lenders they prefer. But the rate was approved today at 4.85%.

Last edited by Radmand; 05-14-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-15-2015, 4:59 AM Reply   
2.99%. https://www.lightstream.com/boat-loan

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...t-x1-102522092

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...-X-1-102515954

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...-X-1-102486786

Last edited by rexlex01; 05-15-2015 at 5:07 AM.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       05-15-2015, 7:33 AM Reply   
The rtp will push that boat just fine. A 3 outlet heater kit is like $500 complete and not too hard to install.
500hrs is nothing to worry about if it was well maintained. With good upkeep the engine/trans are good for 2000hrs at least. I know of an 06 X15 with over 1000hrs and only mechanical issue was the fuel pump which is common and cheap to fix, under $100, on any MC over a couple hundred hours.
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-15-2015, 7:46 AM Reply   
Was 07 the year they had to add tower braces? Not sure on the models and years affected, but if it doesn't have the braces and needs them, work that into the deal.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-15-2015, 1:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radmand View Post
I was only worried about the hours on the 310 HP motor and having too much strain on the transmission when weighted out. .
I've got the MCX motor but my boat has also got over 1000 hours nearly all sacked out (as in 3000lbs give or take)...and my boat runs excellent.

I almost never have too big an issue with the interior room. Also, a 400# bag in the front walkway still allows 2 or 3 middle school or high schoolers up front. While the wake gets exponentially better with weight up front I can still have fun without and just fill the center and a small amount in the rear...but I'm not sponsored so...
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       05-15-2015, 3:25 PM Reply   
I would go for the 07 on craigslist before the 06 at Norcal Mastercraft. The 07 may have more hours, but you know the history (by talking with the actual owner) and it looks alot cleaner.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-15-2015, 8:17 PM Reply   
The 310 hp won't have any trouble pulling with the right prop. I run 2500# and it never struggles. Just make sure you get enough weight in the bow. That hull really likes bow weight.