Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (BigJohnsonUT)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-30-2015, 5:46 PM Reply   
Looking for opinions. I've demoed both. The x30 has the 6.0 ilmor, gen2, loaded. The mojo is loaded 440 raptor, s bend, lights everywhere, auto flow.

We mainly boat on big water like lake Powell and bear lake so rough water ride is critical. My wife hates centurion and MB though. I have 4 kids under 12 who are starting their surfing and wakeboard isn't. I mainly surf with an occasional tow on the board. Wife surfs and slalom skis.

Almost 40k diff in out the door price for the MC. Both are loaded. Which way to go? 5 year warranty on MC. Both dealers are awesome.
Old     (DBurke)      Join Date: Sep 2012 Location: Tennessee       06-30-2015, 6:17 PM Reply   
Comes down to how much coin you want to spend. I'm sure the Mojo was right there with the x30 as far as performance, so which wake and wave did you prefer? At the end of the day does the x30 actually justify the 40k price difference?
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-30-2015, 6:56 PM Reply   
Well that's a tough decision to make.

I own an 2013 X30 with the 6.0 and my best friend owns a 2012 Mojo. I ride the both almost equally, and have spent hundreds of hours in both boats.

In terms of quality and fit and finish that goes to Mc but you are paying for it. Both have great storage the difference is in the details: shocks on the seats, nicer vinyl, touchscreens, billeted aluminum, etc... All these little things add up.

Wakeboard wakes are both great but different. Moomba is narrow and steep, but more sensitive to weight and can curl over easier. It just takes a bit more to get the wake dialed. The X30 is more mellow and wider, but cleaner and more consistent, and it can get bigger with more weight and is also less sensitive to weight.

Surf wave goes to the X30, but the mojo is still a nice surf boat too.

$40k is a lot of money. I can't say what I would do if I was in that situation. But I've never regretted my X30.
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       06-30-2015, 7:51 PM Reply   
501s, are you describing the new redesigned Mojo for this year? Cause it's a completely different boat wake wise and half a foot larger than the previous model (2.5). The wake is much more similar to a Supra SA/SC wake (not side to side sensitive and very clean) and the interior has been updated. Surf wake is even better now with the new hull and doesn't require the same amount of weight to make it huge.
Old     (jmvotto)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-30-2015, 8:35 PM Reply   
If you drive a Chevy Tahoe buy the Moomba. If you drive a caddy escalade buy the mastercraft .
Old     (BigJohnsonUT)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-30-2015, 9:04 PM Reply   
Lol JV. Actually it's an F150 ecoboost. But I hear what you are saying!
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-01-2015, 12:23 AM Reply   
X30 - it has a rock solid surf wake, one of the best in the MC lineup. And the construction is more solid, you feel the difference when you hit some waves. The Moomba is a nice boat for the price, but ... compared to a X30.. you see the why one cost more then the other, and its not only the bling....
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-01-2015, 9:11 AM Reply   
Hey Rusty, as stated its a 2012 and yes I have heard the new 2015 Mojo Has been redesigned, but I can only offer my experience with the first generation hull. I thought I'd give my 2 cents in these two boats.

I haven't had the chance to ride a new Mojo but want too. My buddy with the 2012 priced it out and the cost was too high to upgrade. I haven't even seen any pics of vids of the wakeboard wake yet.
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       07-01-2015, 10:44 AM Reply   
Those two boats are an odd couple to compare. Can you explain why you are trying to decide between them. It might help get better input.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-01-2015, 11:29 AM Reply   
how much $$ ya got?

do you like BIG payments or small ones?

how do you feel about depreciation? 20 year payment terms? like being upside down on a $100K boat?
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-03-2015, 7:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCent View Post
X30 - it has a rock solid surf wake, one of the best in the MC lineup. And the construction is more solid, you feel the difference when you hit some waves. The Moomba is a nice boat for the price, but ... compared to a X30.. you see the why one cost more then the other, and its not only the bling....
Please, MC quality is no better or worse than any other major brand. I've owned 2 malibus, an MC, and now an Axis and none were better or worse than the other. Save the 40k and buy the Moomba... or an Axis
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-03-2015, 7:44 PM Reply   
Having recently been in a 15 mojo and looking really hard at a 14 Mojo the wakeboard wakes were very similar. They both were nice hard and poppy. The surf wake on the 14 was ok and the surf wake on the 15 definitely exceeded that.

As far as the X30 wakes. The wakeboard wake is a little in the softer, rampier side compared to the 15 mojo. I would compare the Mojo wake to the X25 wake. Just tad different but in the MC line that's pretty close to the Mojo's. The X30 has a great surf wake. There's no arguing that.

Performance wise in wakes alone, both for surfing and wakeboarding, I don't feel there is a 40k difference if your worried soley about performance. However if you're looking for bling, eye turning styling, high end vinyl, about the highest quality audio you can get, and billet everywhere the MC is the ticket. That's what you are paying for. It's hands down finished better. The Moomba has an excellent finish its just not blinded to the max with the attention to detail in the smaller areas. As far as performance though they are both on par with each other. My huge knock against the Mojo vs the X30 is that you almost have to stand to drive the Mojo with the flow system. It rides very bow high while surfing. My wife had a really hard time seeing and was ultimately the demise. The 15 doesn't quite feel like it had as much as the 14, but it's definitely more than the x30. She drives a ton so it was a huge deal breaker for us. The X30 has no where near the bow ride issue.

Last edited by xstarrider; 07-03-2015 at 7:47 PM.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-03-2015, 10:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabonners View Post
Please, MC quality is no better or worse than any other major brand. I've owned 2 malibus, an MC, and now an Axis and none were better or worse than the other. Save the 40k and buy the Moomba... or an Axis
?!

Moomba has certainly improved in the fit and finish category over the past few years but there is absolutely no way to say that MC and Moomba have the same quality... I spend nearly every day in and out of a whole lot of MC, Supra and Moomba. Yes they're all three great brands, but audio, styling, vinyl, surf system, dash, and the overall build of the boat goes to MC every day of the week. That's where you're spending your 40k.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-04-2015, 6:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaxymek View Post
?!

Moomba has certainly improved in the fit and finish category over the past few years but there is absolutely no way to say that MC and Moomba have the same quality... I spend nearly every day in and out of a whole lot of MC, Supra and Moomba. Yes they're all three great brands, but audio, styling, vinyl, surf system, dash, and the overall build of the boat goes to MC every day of the week. That's where you're spending your 40k.
You can say that about the Moomba, but I just test drove both MC X20 and Supra SC and the for and finish is at least the same. I would almost give the edge to the new Supras. Imo
Old     (jps120)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-04-2015, 6:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaxymek View Post
?!

I think he meant quality as in quality built boats not that Moomba and mastercraft were on the same level of refinement or luxury
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-04-2015, 9:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabonners View Post
Well, i don't agree with you - i see a lot of things that are well engineered or just good enough to get you through the warranty. Don't understand me wrong, its not about the bling bling... i had a supra for 5 years, and now own a nautique, the price is a huge difference but also the boat is - the construction of the Nautique is way better then the supra was. Heavier construction, better layout of the fuse, battery switch and a lot more, more service friendly pumps. From a quality standpoint, i was very disappointed by skiers choice production.

I do agree with you that the Axis is a nice boat, or that a Moomba is a good boat for the price, but there is a difference ... if you look under the hood.
Old     (lashburn1)      Join Date: Oct 2014       07-04-2015, 1:27 PM Reply   
If you are not the Kind of person who can tell ., or cares , the difference in Quality or Build between Moomba or MC
....buy the Moomba and don't look back.
Save the $40 for another Toy.

I will say we looked at both and Bought the X30. The spread was not $40k on the setup we looked at.