Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-29-2014, 9:24 AM Reply   
Has ANYONE been on one on the water since the release? It was hyped up then boom. It's gone. Haven't seen any new video of one in the water either. I know I'm opening a can of worms but I'm just curious.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-29-2014, 9:37 AM Reply   
Lolz at the thought of someone actually buying one.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-29-2014, 9:45 AM Reply   
Wasn't one at the Seattle boat show in January either. The reps (not dealer) statement seemed canned. Outside vendor production delays kept boats from leaving the factory. Pretty vague as expected. I really wanted to see one. I know it's a small feature but the "trunk" or rear board storage is brilliant.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-29-2014, 9:57 AM Reply   
There was one at the Chicago boat show, Ruck and Rathy were there talking it up. Havent heard much about it since.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-29-2014, 10:36 AM Reply   
I've seen pictures,but haven't seen one in person yet.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-29-2014, 11:30 AM Reply   
I saw one in person at the boat show and wasn't impressed. Fit and finish was weak. Nice idea of LEDs on the exterior in the hull space but execution was pretty sub par. At that price I wouldn't even consider it over a G or some of the MCs and Bus. I should preface this by saying I'm not a fan of Tige in general anyways.

The rear board storage though was a sweet idea as mentioned above.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-29-2014, 12:48 PM Reply   
I've seen one on the water but, didn't get in it. It's huge. The board trunk is pretty cool. The interior seemed very well sorted but, I wasn't really able to check it out closely. It rides really low up front while at idle. Like the old X-star low. It looks a bit funky at speed. It's so tall. Some angles look amazing. Some don't. The wakeboard wake looked extremely clean and well formed.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-29-2014, 4:21 PM Reply   
They had one at the Atlanta boat show. It was ragged on as a bad G23 ripoff when everyone saw the pics.. after seeing it in person - that is pretty much exactly what it is.

They did some goofy stuff to it, aside from the nowhere-near Nautique fit/finish..
1. The in-floor cooler is in a weird hump in the walkthrough. It's just goofy looking
2. The rear board storage is cool, but it also makes the step up into the boat HUGE. Kids will never be able to get on and off the boat themselves.
3. The price.. actually made me laugh. The 'boat show special' price was about $110k.. not much less than show pricing on a G - which is a WAY nicer boat.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-29-2014, 4:27 PM Reply   
We saw one at the show also. Didn't look at it super close as we aren't in the market for that size boat. But it is huge and had some cool features. For sure took some styling cues from the G23. It is a huge deep boat like the G.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       03-29-2014, 5:07 PM Reply   
Eagle Marine in Ft. Worth actually just got one in and sold it to some 21 year old kid within about 2 weeks of it hitting the showroom floor. They were still prepping it when I was in there this past Tuesday and I had a chance to get up close and personal with it. I'll admit that I'm a fanboy of Tige, and the ASR was definitely impressive. It's absolutely massive to begin with, the trunk board storage is brilliant, the rear lockers are insanely massive, and the layout is extremely well thought out. It's one of those brilliantly simple setups where everything seems to be in the right place and is easy to access. I especially like the improved hinge system on the side lockers, and the front storage in the bow area is fantastic. I like how it has the 2 deep "cooler-like" areas (with drains) under the seats along with the removable cooler. That was one of my biggest complaints about my RZ4 was limited cooler space and non removable. Now you have options to store all your drinks and snacks without having a bunch of coolers laying all over the floor. The console setup was slightly different than what I'm used to in my RZ4, but not by much, and I love how simple their Tige Touch system is compared to some others.

I will admit that I'm not a fan of the windshield shape and honestly would like a bit more depth in the playpen area. You'd think with a boat this big, there would be a bit more depth in the bow area. But I understand that the underfloor ballasts eat up a lot of real estate in the hull areas too. Overall I really like the boat, and after my wife saw/explored it I think we may be looking at an ASR as our next boat in the next few years. I left my contact info at the dealer to give to the new owner so that I can hopefully tag along and get a bit of time in (and possibly behind) it in the next few weeks.

Snapped a few quick pics while I was there, sorry for the angles, they had a ton of boats around this one and it was extremely tight trying to get good shots.

Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       03-29-2014, 6:34 PM Reply   
Garbage
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-29-2014, 6:37 PM Reply   
I'll admit, that orange and black is SHARP.
Old     (atthelake)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-29-2014, 6:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I saw one in person at the boat show and wasn't impressed. Fit and finish was weak. Nice idea of LEDs on the exterior in the hull space but execution was pretty sub par. At that price I wouldn't even consider it over a G or some of the MCs and Bus. I should preface this by saying I'm not a fan of Tige in general anyways.

The rear board storage though was a sweet idea as mentioned above.
Couldn't agree more! I can't figure out how Tige can come close to thinking they are on par with CC or MC. They're not even close $$$ wise anymore.
Old     (Captain_obvious)      Join Date: Jan 2014       03-29-2014, 8:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEnNC View Post
Garbage
Awesome 3-3 1/2ft step up from platform to transom step with downward facing board racks......
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-29-2014, 8:52 PM Reply   
Now that I look at those pics of it on the trailer it looks VERY G23 ish. A half moon type shape to it on the trailer. I wonder just how different the hulls are. Has anyone taken a tape measure to both?
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-29-2014, 9:52 PM Reply   
Look at the G23, and the ASR side by side at a boat show.
Then report back to this thread.
The sac boat show tige was right next to CC.
Pictures don't do the G justice, on the flip side, pictures over glory the ASR.
I'll add to what 501s said about the cheap ass LEDs. Nice idea, horribly done. They are cheapo china 3258 led strips stuck inside the vents on the hull. Wires were hanging, and the strip was already falling off of the demo boat at the sac boat show.
Not a way to do LEDs on a boat with a 6 figure price tag.
I don't think tige's are bad looking boats, but the ASR, I was disappointed.

Last edited by Jmorlan; 03-29-2014 at 9:59 PM.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-30-2014, 6:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_obvious View Post
Awesome 3-3 1/2ft step up from platform to transom step with downward facing board racks......
This was the biggest head-scratcher that I saw. I get the desire for the board racks (it's a cool idea) but that step up is BIG. When I asked the factory guy 'how do kids get on and off the boat' - he had a look like nobody had considered that before.

A 3yo can easily go from the water up the ladder to the platform and up into the boat on a G (and most other boats)... no way on this one. It was an uncomfortably large step up for me.. and the 'seat' that you rest on to put your board on is pretty darn high.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       03-30-2014, 7:04 AM Reply   
Garbage, more I look at it and the more I've seen this boat is cheaply built and a big turd
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-30-2014, 7:36 AM Reply   
So from a pic on the net you can tell that its a cheaply built piece of garbage?

I was in one at the chicago boat show. I liked it for the most part. The rear storage trunk is awesome but that step down is pretty far. I do t think many little kids are going to be able to hop in and out of the boat like they would on anything else.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       03-30-2014, 8:07 AM Reply   
After what my buddy went thru with tige I'm so thankful I got to c it all fold out with all of his problems. Kept me from making a mistake and I'm thankful I didn't end up with a boat I would've regretted. I'm still really astounded at what is my opinion to be piss poor customer service
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       03-30-2014, 8:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_obvious View Post
The board racks only have a downward tilt when turned in, but tilt up when swung out. I've got the same style Samson racks on my RZ4 and it makes it pretty easy to pull boards out. I've never had issues with trying to remove one, and the other fall out with it.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-30-2014, 6:05 PM Reply   
I am very good friends with the kid that bought this boat. I should be able to ride behind it within a month or so.

Not real funny but he wasn't happy. He put it on the water and within 15 min the alternator shorted out and fried the perko and batteries. As far as I know it didn't hurt anything else. Eagle Marine did come get it to fix it.

I will report back once I get behind it for a full review.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396227885.661846.jpg
Views: 6386
Size:  39.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396227897.728307.jpg
Views: 6640
Size:  101.3 KB
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-30-2014, 6:40 PM Reply   
What does ol boy do that at 21 he affords a boat like that? I want in.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-30-2014, 7:08 PM Reply   
^my buddy's indmar in his MC did that. Major major buzz kill on day 2....
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-30-2014, 7:20 PM Reply   
@J.mo….I was thinking the same exact thing!!
Old     (retoxtony)      Join Date: Apr 2012       03-30-2014, 7:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
What does ol boy do that at 21 he affords a boat like that? I want in.
My bet is its Mom and Dads cash.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-30-2014, 8:43 PM Reply   
Sounds like somebody switched the perko to off while the boat was running.....
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-31-2014, 5:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter14 View Post
Sounds like somebody switched the perko to off while the boat was running.....

Why can't you do that? Wouldn't it be like lifting a batt terminal on a car to check if the alternator is functioning correctly? Start car and lift cable off, if car stayed running u assume voltage regulator and alternator functioning. If car died then you had alternator issue.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-31-2014, 5:19 AM Reply   
Well J.Mo,

Not sure I'm at liberty to say, but lets just say he can buy whatever he wants.

He is a very good kid and works his butt off everyday.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       03-31-2014, 6:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy View Post
I am very good friends with the kid that bought this boat. I should be able to ride behind it within a month or so.

Not real funny but he wasn't happy. He put it on the water and within 15 min the alternator shorted out and fried the perko and batteries. As far as I know it didn't hurt anything else. Eagle Marine did come get it to fix it.

I will report back once I get behind it for a full review.
Attachment 34875Attachment 34876
Where are you guys riding at? I'd love to come by and get some time on the water behind the ASR too. I know this will make me sound like a whore, but I pitch in for gas and help clean if I can get a pull with you guys. I can bring out my RZ4 and we can run them side by side too if you guys want to do a comparison to see how much of a difference in wakes there is between these boats, don't think you'll find a closer comparison between 2 Tiges than that. I'm usually riding Joe Pool Lake out of Loyd Park and it's pretty dead right now, so you guys are welcome to come down and ride with us too if you want.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-31-2014, 7:17 AM Reply   
East Texas. Lake Cherokee is where he lives.

PM me if you want. He doesn't board at all but he does surf. I will help him test wakeboard wake out.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       03-31-2014, 7:28 AM Reply   
Tried PM'ing you, but can't. I'm not real sure where Lake Cherokee is. I'm guessing around Henderson area? I'd love to take a couple days and come over and ride if you guys are up for it. Let me know when he gets the boat back and maybe we can work a time/date out. I'll bring the RZ4 so we can see the differences in wakes. And I'm not much of a wakeboarder anymore either, it hurts my knees and back too much these days, but I'd love to surf that monster.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-31-2014, 9:11 AM Reply   
Yes it's Longview, Tx. I'll find out and get back to you. Where you from?
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       03-31-2014, 10:03 AM Reply   
I live on the south side of Arlington on the edge of Mansfield
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-31-2014, 10:23 AM Reply   
Local dealer up here has one on a triple axle trailer. http://www.tige.ca/new-boats/tige-2014-asr/
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-31-2014, 10:25 AM Reply   
These threads are the best. Everyone has a buddy that went through hell with said X (Tige, MC, Malibu, CC, Centurion etc) Does not mean its not true but there is always someone. We have a very reputable Tige dealer in our area and have NEVER heard one negative word about Tige boats in our area. In fact CC corporate is at his service location often asking for help on service ideas and issues. I take my MC there.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-31-2014, 10:39 AM Reply   
I'm not bashing Tige' just stating fact. Love the way the ASR looks.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-31-2014, 10:57 AM Reply   
Oh I dont care people can bash I have an 02 MC X Star all these boats are nicer than what I have.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-31-2014, 11:10 AM Reply   
I'll let you know, my 99 centurion elite has been a champ and not 1 problem.
And my sanger so far has been awesome, except the wally that wired the stereo before I got it and left me hell. As far as the boat, I like it
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       03-31-2014, 12:43 PM Reply   
I also bought my boat from the same dealership that this ASR came from and so far I've had nothing but awesome service after the sale from Darin and Rick as well as Tige in general. I had a minor electrical issue last season with buzzing and static through the stereo and wouldn't retain the memory settings for things like the auto volume, etc. Turned out to be a bad ground that they found during the break-in service, haven't had a problem since other than the douchebag who hit my boat at the marina and hauled ass before I got back to kick his face in. But they even offered to come pick the boat up from my house and take it to the repair shop that they use, no money in their pocket at all, just to help me out since I work offshore and don't have a lot of time to spend hauling the boat back and forth.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       03-31-2014, 2:02 PM Reply   
Tampa, why would CC Corporate be at a Tige dealer in Tampa asking for service tips. You know out of everyone on here I had to be the defensive one to ask hahaha. In all seriousness though, that doesn't make sense at all and I know you weren't trying to be biased, it just doesn't make sense and wouldn't for any manufacturer to leave a fully capable boat building facility to ask a local competing "dealer" how to service a boat lol. (Off subject I know sorry guys, just very curious).
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       03-31-2014, 4:25 PM Reply   
I am not trying to stir anything, but seriously... are there shots of the wake taken from inside the boat yet? I feel like we haven't seen a video edit or in boat video/pics of a wake?
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-31-2014, 4:48 PM Reply   
Taken into consideration its a promo video, it does have some perspective of the wake...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGFKFxN5beg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skKosr0N5KQ
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-31-2014, 5:16 PM Reply   
I should get one within next week or so.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-31-2014, 5:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
Why can't you do that? Wouldn't it be like lifting a batt terminal on a car to check if the alternator is functioning correctly? Start car and lift cable off, if car stayed running u assume voltage regulator and alternator functioning. If car died then you had alternator issue.
If you flip the switch while the alternator is under load you cutoff a place for the electricity to go. IF you do that you blow diodes. I don't even get how the car thing would work. Electricity is a big circle. If you break either the positive or negative anywhere in that circle you lose current flow.

As for the ASR I think that black and orange one looks pretty cool. That said the interior makes Nautiques look plush. Holy straight lines. I have seen boats that are very, very similar to others but this has to take the cake as the most blatant ripoff of all time. Literally, there is no other boat that looks similar to the G series except this thing and it looks near identical. From the running surface, to the freeboard and the profile to the bow shape.

Take it for what it is worth but I was chatting with a stereo guy who does installs on both newer Tige's and MBs and he said the MB has better fit and finish. He is either feeding my a line of BS or Tige's are like putting lipstick on a pig. That and want to much for them.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-31-2014, 5:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
If you flip the switch while the alternator is under load you cutoff a place for the electricity to go. IF you do that you blow diodes. I don't even get how the car thing would work. Electricity is a big circle. If you break either the positive or negative anywhere in that circle you lose current flow.

As for the ASR I think that black and orange one looks pretty cool. That said the interior makes Nautiques look plush. Holy straight lines. I have seen boats that are very, very similar to others but this has to take the cake as the most blatant ripoff of all time. Literally, there is no other boat that looks similar to the G series except this thing and it looks near identical. From the running surface, to the freeboard and the profile to the bow shape.

Take it for what it is worth but I was chatting with a stereo guy who does installs on both newer Tige's and MBs and he said the MB has better fit and finish. He is either feeding my a line of BS or Tige's are like putting lipstick on a pig. That and want to much for them.

MB interior is nicer than a lot of boats on the market!!!!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-31-2014, 6:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Yeah, I was probably a little harsh as well with the lipstick on a pig comment. That is unfair. I just see Tige as the boat that they add all the little features to so they can keep up with the joneses but the quality seems to lag a bit. It is only a personal preference but I would rather have the simple(less features) boat that is built really well than the boat with all the bling and features that is built average or worse. Again, that is just my personal preference. There are also a lot of things I think that Tige does and has done over the years that are just weird. That doesn't mean I wouldn't own one. Every boat would work for me for the right price. Even a Wakecraft. RIP Dan Dulong(his wakeworld life anyways).
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-31-2014, 7:04 PM Reply   
Polar, sorry not buying it. I do believe yes if the batts are drawing a large load(charging) then yes it might be possible to do damage to alternator/regulator if you remove the batts from the circuit while alternator is in operation. But in reality if a boat is idling and the batts are pretty much charged u should do no damage by moving perks switch to the off position.
Old    cheesesteak            03-31-2014, 7:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
Polar, sorry not buying it. I do believe yes if the batts are drawing a large load(charging) then yes it might be possible to do damage to alternator/regulator if you remove the batts from the circuit while alternator is in operation. But in reality if a boat is idling and the batts are pretty much charged u should do no damage by moving perks switch to the off position.
Never disconnect a battery while he engine is running. Never switch a battery switch to "off" with an engine running. A battery both stabilizes and filters the current produced by the alternator. Disconnect it and you could get a spike that will damage sensitive electronics - including the charging system.

Don't take my word - do some easy research on it.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-31-2014, 7:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
True! I looked at a lot of brands this go around and MB's interior was a huge factor in my choice.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       03-31-2014, 8:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fman View Post
Taken into consideration its a promo video, it does have some perspective of the wake...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGFKFxN5beg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skKosr0N5KQ
This is the only split second clip they show. I'm sure it's big but why don't they just show it. I've seen Dean go that big his whole career so that really doesn't count IMO
Attached Images

Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-01-2014, 6:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Never disconnect a battery while he engine is running. Never switch a battery switch to "off" with an engine running. A battery both stabilizes and filters the current produced by the alternator. Disconnect it and you could get a spike that will damage sensitive electronics - including the charging system.

Don't take my word - do some easy research on it.
True that.

That was "charging systems 101" at automotive school. I remember the instructors demonstration of this. We first isolated the vehicles charge system, from the charging circuit, and hooked the alternator to another battery. We then hooked up a voltmeter and recorded spike voltages when the battery was disconnected. (On one of our donor vehicles from GM). Voltage would spike up to 150 volts, at idle, and after the third try, it destroyed the diodes in the rectifier bridge.

With the rectifier bridge ruined, the alternator was putting out AC voltage, and our instructor ran a regular old power drill off of it.

The battery works as a very important cushion in the charging system. Without it, things get cooked pretty quick.
Old     (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-01-2014, 7:34 AM Reply   
I wonder how deep that trailer has to be to get the boat on it?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       04-01-2014, 8:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmarc View Post
I wonder how deep that trailer has to be to get the boat on it?
I don't think it is too much deeper than normal. How high are the bunks off the ground? How much water does the boat draft - I think unloaded these don't draft too much deeper than typical V-drives. Depth of trailer, I would assume, would probably be within 8-10" of a normal large V-drive.
Old     (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-01-2014, 8:19 AM Reply   
Yea I hope so. I already go pretty deep with the rz4.
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-01-2014, 8:42 AM Reply   
My wife and I looked at the ASR at the boat show and it was at our #2 spot behind the G23. The G23 is just a beautiful boat in person and all the craftsmanship is unreal, the ASR is definitely up there and I feel the layout of the ASR and all the functional space goes unmatched by any boat competitor. My wife liked the ASR more than the Malibu's, Mastercrafts, and the only two boats that came close for what we look for in a boat is the G23 and a Nautique 230.
Old     (atthelake)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-02-2014, 6:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by goride View Post
My wife and I looked at the ASR at the boat show and it was at our #2 spot behind the G23. The G23 is just a beautiful boat in person and all the craftsmanship is unreal, the ASR is definitely up there and I feel the layout of the ASR and all the functional space goes unmatched by any boat competitor. My wife liked the ASR more than the Malibu's, Mastercrafts, and the only two boats that came close for what we look for in a boat is the G23 and a Nautique 230.
Hahahahahahaha!
Old     (Scotty_Tittle)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-02-2014, 7:36 AM Reply   
I actually did a little surfing behind that black and orange ASR yesterday. Didn't get a whole lot of time in because we are still just messing with all the features and adjusting wake and all. We don't do much wake boarding so I wont be able to give you any input on that, but Rance will be boarding behind it soon. Last summer I got a lot of time in on a buddys G25 and can say that the surf wake is extremely similar. The 2 boats are very similar all the way around. Between me and Rance, I think we will be able to get you guys the pics/ vids you want. Last thing, the guys on here that are already dogging the ASR, saying how they are garbage and not built well, you literally have no ground to stand on. Especially if you have never been on one. We don't have much time on it yet but so far, this thing seems extremely well built with no corners cut anywhere. Trust me, we are looking for negatives but at this point the owner is extremely happy with this boat.
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       04-02-2014, 9:15 AM Reply   
Except for the alternator fried on the first outing?
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       04-02-2014, 12:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty_****le View Post
I actually did a little surfing behind that black and orange ASR yesterday. Didn't get a whole lot of time in because we are still just messing with all the features and adjusting wake and all. We don't do much wake boarding so I wont be able to give you any input on that, but Rance will be boarding behind it soon. Last summer I got a lot of time in on a buddys G25 and can say that the surf wake is extremely similar. The 2 boats are very similar all the way around. Between me and Rance, I think we will be able to get you guys the pics/ vids you want. Last thing, the guys on here that are already dogging the ASR, saying how they are garbage and not built well, you literally have no ground to stand on. Especially if you have never been on one. We don't have much time on it yet but so far, this thing seems extremely well built with no corners cut anywhere. Trust me, we are looking for negatives but at this point the owner is extremely happy with this boat.

Scotty

Hit me up and I will gladly check that wakeboard wake out. -
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-02-2014, 12:57 PM Reply   
Dave sent ya PM. You dont have to believe me.
Old     (ETSurfer)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-02-2014, 1:12 PM Reply   
after the small issue with the alternator on the ASR all has been good.. boat is great build through and through.. props to Eagle Marine in Fort Worth for coming to get the boat when it messed up which is a 6 hour round trip. They took care of me and had it back on the water in a couple of days. Wake surf wake was great and i would personally put in at the top with other boats like the g series nautique. I will post more pics for y'all in the near future. But here is one from last night with her all lit up
Attached Images

Old     (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-02-2014, 4:25 PM Reply   
I love how people dog on the other brands of boats that they don't have. The funny part is most people just go off what they hear or jump on the bandwagon of a brand. Each boat has a certain person it is right for. I am a Tige guy but i have owned almost every other major brand. Tige fits me best. All good boat just certain things I personally didn't like about the others. For people to say the ASR is garbage is ridiculous . All boats have something in common with another. For people claiming Tige copied the G is like saying everyone copied Tige cause they had the first touch screen in the industry.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       04-02-2014, 7:12 PM Reply   
Taylor, not sure if Darin gave you my contact info when you picked up the boat, but I'd love to get some time behind it if you're cool with it. Like I told Rance, I'd be happy to bring out my RZ4 and we could run them side by side to see how big of a difference there is between the 2 as well. Message me if you're interested and I'll get in contact with you.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-02-2014, 7:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
For people claiming Tige copied the G is like saying everyone copied Tige cause they had the first touch screen in the industry.
or perhaps because they're the same size, shape, weight, layout, etc. I said as much to the factory guy at the boat show, and he didn't even try to deny it.

It's not features they copied, it's pretty much the entire design.

I'm not a Tige hater by any stretch, but to say they didn't totally try to copy the G is second most laughable thing about that boat. (The price they were asking at the boat show would be #1)
Old     (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-02-2014, 8:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator View Post
or perhaps because they're the same size, shape, weight, layout, etc. I said as much to the factory guy at the boat show, and he didn't even try to deny it.

It's not features they copied, it's pretty much the entire design.

I'm not a Tige hater by any stretch, but to say they didn't totally try to copy the G is second most laughable thing about that boat. (The price they were asking at the boat show would be #1)
In my opinion they don't even look that much alike. What was the price at the boat show?
Old     (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-02-2014, 8:48 PM Reply   
Here is a picture a stitched off the web.
Asr has strait lines. G is rounded .
To me it looks like the rz4 on steriods.
The only thing I don't care to much for is the tower.
I still don't see where people are saying its so obvious they copied the G.
Every manufacture is going to start making these super wakeboard boats.
Attached Images

Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       04-03-2014, 4:43 AM Reply   
Is Tige using Indmar in the ASR?
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-03-2014, 5:48 AM Reply   
Tige uses Indmar in all their boats as of 2014.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       04-03-2014, 6:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
What about the running surface?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-03-2014, 6:44 AM Reply   
Tige has the convex V hull. They have since the 90's. To me the G and the ASR look no more alike than the SAN and the Z1. Two totally different boats style wise. Nautique makes an excellent boat with a excellent wake and wave. So does Tige in my opinion and I've owned both. As for the price of the ASR that's up to the buyers to determine.
Old    rullery            04-03-2014, 7:06 AM Reply   
They look as similar as an Expedition does to a Suburban. Same class, similar specs, different style.

Look, every industry in the history of the world is built off the legs of what has been accomplished in the past. Companies copy stuff all the time, it is the very nature of capitalism. Look at Microsoft, they just yesterday finally released a direct knockoff of "Siri". This kind of competition is healthy and should be embraced as it eventually makes your favorite products better.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-03-2014, 7:19 AM Reply   
Sure, there are aesthetic differenced between the two boats, but it is undeniable that the G23 was the model upon which the ASR was based.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-03-2014, 7:24 AM Reply   
Yeah if you look at the Tige line they have been building deep tank like boats for years. In fact thats what I always liked about them. Deep freeboard and you sit way down in the boat. I just think Tige is easy to bag on as they are a newer brand and have some ups and downs.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-03-2014, 7:40 AM Reply   
Anyone that doesn't see the similarities between the G23/21/25 and the ASR design is delusional. That's not ragging on anyone. That's observation.

The reason to rag on Tige is that they are asking $110k+ for them.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-03-2014, 7:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rullery View Post
They look as similar as an Expedition does to a Suburban. Same class, similar specs, different style.

Look, every industry in the history of the world is built off the legs of what has been accomplished in the past. Companies copy stuff all the time, it is the very nature of capitalism. Look at Microsoft, they just yesterday finally released a direct knockoff of "Siri". This kind of competition is healthy and should be embraced as it eventually makes your favorite products better.
Good points.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-03-2014, 7:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Based on these two pics the ASR is a a*much* more attractive boat to me..
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-03-2014, 7:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Sure, there are aesthetic differenced between the two boats, but it is undeniable that the G23 was the model upon which the ASR was based.
who gives a ****? chicken / egg.. we've been round and round and round these dumb topics for years. first picklefork, first forward swoop tower, first with screens in the dash, first with surf aid, etc.

Who cares what was built first? They are both awesome boats and anyone is lucky to have either.
Old     (Jmarc)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-03-2014, 8:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_mn View Post
who gives a ****? chicken / egg.. we've been round and round and round these dumb topics for years. first picklefork, first forward swoop tower, first with screens in the dash, first with surf aid, etc.

Who cares what was built first? They are both awesome boats and anyone is lucky to have either.
Agreed!!!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-03-2014, 8:19 AM Reply   
The point is that the ASR is an obvious attempt to copy the G23, and has been priced accordingly. I think people are wondering whether, just because it looks dang close to a G23, is it built with the same level of quality, does it perform as well, does it produce the same caliber wake/wave. In other words, is Tige charging for a G23 look and size only, or do you get the performance benefits too. I could care less either way. I have nothing against Tige. Part of me hopes that it does do everything a G23 does, but for $10k less, so maybe it will help keep prices from continuing to friggin skyrocket.