Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-22-2014, 10:34 AM Reply   
I have the wetsounds Bluetooth, linked into my 420sq, and I'm struggling to understand where people say they are getting 50+, even 100 or more feet with no interference or sound issues.

I can't be 5ft from my swim deck on the dock without the music cutting out when using pandora and the Bluetooth.
Did I just get a bogus module? Works fine in the boat. But anything more than about 5ft outside of it, no go without issues.

Anyone else have any input?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-22-2014, 10:55 AM Reply   
people need to keep in mind that their phone is the other half of the bluetooth equation.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-22-2014, 10:56 AM Reply   
Phone is an iPhone 5
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-22-2014, 11:25 AM Reply   
So how far does Apple say their blue tooth transmitter will transmit?
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-22-2014, 11:31 AM Reply   
I didn't even think about the phone being an issue.
But a quick google search tells me the iPhone 5 has a not so impressive Bluetooth capability.
Many people have issues in their home, not being able to be across the room from their Bluetooth speaker unit.
BUMMER
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-22-2014, 12:25 PM Reply   
I have a iPhone 5 and one of the many phones we tested on the BT VC and get amazing range. One of our guys has an iphone 4. His range is the same but his volume level is weaker. So there is all sorts of variables when it comes to BT, but you should be getting 20-30 feet range at the min.

Sounds like you have some other issues besides phone for such limited range. Interference? Location? Give my office a call and speak with Rob in tech support. He can work with you on finding a solution.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-22-2014, 12:36 PM Reply   
Should get 30 feet. Agree. Please post your results as this item seems quite expensive and hopefully should work better.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-22-2014, 2:07 PM Reply   
The unit is mounted just below the helm, like would be exhibited with this crazy expensive bracket, minus the crazy expensive bracket.
The bracket holding the 420sq and BT is the one I am referring to.
https://wetsounds.com/media/products.../images/01.png

Last edited by Jmorlan; 03-22-2014 at 2:12 PM.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-22-2014, 2:12 PM Reply   
Don't see how a fully CNC machined billet bracket will full powder coat for $150 is crazy expensive. You have to see and hold one to appreciate the machine work in the bracket. If we could do it any cheaper we would but the brackets were fully engineered in 3D CAD and have a ton of machine time to build.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-22-2014, 2:19 PM Reply   
$249.98 is what is listed as price for the volume/EQ under dash mount. In my opinion, yes, that is crazy expensive.

$79, even $99, would I pay? Probably.
$250? No.

The 420 itself is only $299, how does the bracket to hold it cost nearly the same lmao

Last edited by Jmorlan; 03-22-2014 at 2:28 PM.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-22-2014, 2:28 PM Reply   
J,

The underdash mount is 149.99 and the BT is 99.99 as individuals. Buy them together and you get the $249.98 that you saw.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-22-2014, 2:29 PM Reply   
i just picked my boat up today and it has the new blue tooth from wet sounds. It seems to work great. I was out side of the boat and it was clear and crisp aprox 30 ft away. iPhone 5
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-22-2014, 2:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
J,

The underdash mount is 149.99 and the BT is 99.99 as individuals. Buy them together and you get the $249.98 that you saw.

Yes. This is the bracket I am talking about. Is the silver combo bracket in the photo not the $249 bracket?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-22-2014, 2:44 PM Reply   
J,

The underdash bracket holds both the 420 and BT, but its $149.99 for just the CNC'd aluminum bracket. If you package it up with a BT, then its $249.98, same price as those 2 items if purchased individually.

The bracket is a real work of art, Very well made. I can guarantee you cant walk into to a machine shop and have a similar piece machined out of billet for this kinda money.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-22-2014, 2:59 PM Reply   
Ohh. I see now. Forgive me. And this thread is getting slightly derailed lol. I only mentioned the bracket to give the idea of how the BT is mounted for signal purpose.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-22-2014, 3:25 PM Reply   
When I first heard the prices on the brackets I thought it was a little high, but I picked up a couple of them to see for myself. When they came in and I removed them from the box, wow........ It's obvious they put a lot of time into them. I remember a couple years ago buying one from Mobile Innovations for a customer of mine that cost $150. It was a piece of aluminum that was bent on the edges and angled to screw into the bottom of a dash. The pieces from Wet Sounds are much more than that, and cheaper - if you don't get the extra mount for bass knob or bluetooth. I'll take a pic tomorrow when I get back to the shop and post them here. These are a work of art.

J. - i've seen some of these bluetooth modules work farther away than 30', and even mounted inside a cruiser in the salon. Give Rob a call and see if he can help. That's with a Motorola Droid, and a 4th Gen iPod Touch.