Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakecourage)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-04-2016, 1:21 PM Reply   
First off I have to say I suck at electronics! Just so that is clear.
I have a 2007 SAN210. I scooped up a deal last year for a pair of exile xm7's that I have yet to install. Looking to try to upgrade my sound system being cost effective at the same time. Looking at the P900.4 to power my xm7's. What do you think about this amp? Also looking for an amp to power my in boat speakers. What do you suggest for them? Also need a volume controller for my xm7's.
Having the deck in the glove box is also very annoying. Is there any other option for this with out drilling into anything and making a mess of the cockpit?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-04-2016, 2:06 PM Reply   
Sorry, I have no experience with that amp.

With a headunit that new, you should have the ability to add a remote to it .... our remote is on a small "extension" from the main dash, so no extra cutting required. 3 screws hold the extension on.

... malibu put the head unit under the armrest in the 04 wakesetter, so the remote is quite useful.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-04-2016, 6:24 PM Reply   
The p900.4 is way too much for a pair of 6.5" HLCDs. I would look for something thats half of that.

How many in-boats and what are they?

For volume control, I would suggest something for both the in-boat and tower zone like the Kicker ZXM-RLC. At the least, something like a simple line level controller in line on the in-boat zone rather than the tower zone.
Old     (ksunet)      Join Date: May 2015       03-06-2016, 9:41 AM Reply   
I have a p900.4 hooked to two 6.5 hlcd (bridged). I think it sounds awesome! I want to get another p900.4 for a sub and my in boat speakers. I am very happy with the amp. I can run it for hours and it does not overheat.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-06-2016, 10:56 AM Reply   
I agree that the PPI p900.4 once bridged is too much power for any single pair 6.5" speaker, HLCD or otherwise. However, you can de-tune the amplifier to limit the power to a safe level.
The flipside is that very few people who begin with a 6.5" HLCD will stay with a 6.5" HLCD. Eventually the majority step up to an 8" or 10". So it may not be a bad idea to get the power you will use eventually rather the just the power you need today. That's one less item you have to place in the classifieds next season.
Old     (wakecourage)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-07-2016, 6:28 AM Reply   
Thanks for the picture Nick! That looks clean and neat.

TigeMike - I believe there is only 4 inboat speakers from what I can remember. Boat is tucker away right now so can't check. How much power do I need to them?

David - Is it easy to detune the amp?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-07-2016, 7:11 AM Reply   
He is talking about turning the gain down.

I've ran the 900.4 with REV 10's for three years with no problems.
and a second 900.4 for 6 in-boats for two years with no problems.

And the boat stays outside under a cover all year. For the price I'll buy the same amp if these ever go out.

Last edited by jonblarc7; 03-07-2016 at 7:12 AM. Reason: wrong
Old     (wakecourage)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-07-2016, 7:31 AM Reply   
Blair - is the gain just a knob that I turn?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-07-2016, 7:54 AM Reply   
On a 900.4 its the screw that says LEVEL each one controls a different side. Somebody else will explain it better.
Attached Images

Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       03-07-2016, 2:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
On a 900.4 its the screw that says LEVEL each one controls a different side. Somebody else will explain it better.
Nope. Pretty much nailed it. ha

Tuning procedure is something like crank radio volume, turn up gain until speakers distort and turn down slightly. Probably a tuning guide in the amp manual.