Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-08-2007, 2:05 PM Reply   
Of the current available "marine grade" component speakers for the interior of the boat, what is your favorite so far as sound quality? Durability? Value?

(Message edited by nickypoo on March 08, 2007)
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-08-2007, 2:13 PM Reply   
dude buy the polk audio db series and amp them...they rock...i have those(6.5") amped with a bazooka 4 channel 4x60 watts rms ans a polk 12 dvc db sub in a sealed box powered by a bazooka 600 watt rms mono amp and it is badass..its very very loud...i dont see how people are putting multiple subs and yet very very good subs..it shakes the boat and if you put your hands on the bow it will suck them inwards...my.2 cents
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-08-2007, 2:15 PM Reply   
I agree with the polk audio db, sound great
Old     (merge360)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-08-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
Nick.... Polk Audio all the way! I have 4 tower speakers (Polk Audio DB675), 2 behind the driver and passenger seats (Polk Audio DB675) and 2 in the bow of the boat (Polk Audio DB525).... Only the tower speakers are hooked up to my 4 channel amp and the other 4 are running off the head unit and they are pretty loud! Just haven't had a chance to install my other amp or sub! My vote is for the Polk's! From what I have seen, the durability has been excellent and for the value, it's hard to beat them for the price....
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-08-2007, 4:43 PM Reply   
JL, but they aint cheap
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-08-2007, 4:44 PM Reply   
jls way over priced.........compare to the polks...not hardly any difference but a bigass price difference!.buying the name imo
Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-08-2007, 5:04 PM Reply   
I like the Pioneer TS MR 2040's however, they are an 8 inch coaxial, run $100/pair. They will take a lot of power and put a lot of sound. The grills suck!

If money is no object, JL 770's they are 7.70 inches with a separate 1 inch tweeter.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-08-2007, 8:17 PM Reply   
look for an aluminum or titanium tweeter if you want it to last for years- the tweeter will go first followed by the woofer surround...JL has aluminum dome tweeters (way to expensive though) in their XR and ZR speakers... Polk doesn't offer them
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-09-2007, 1:20 AM Reply   
Cost is relative Ryan. Some would say your an idiot for spending on the "Polk" name.
Blanket statements = Narrow minded...
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-09-2007, 9:08 AM Reply   
What's good about the JL is they are 100 percent designed for marine which the polk aren't. I have seen the polks start rusting, mind you i'm in salt so the JLs are probably overkill for fresh water
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-09-2007, 10:45 AM Reply   
Nick,

Individual needs are significantly varied. Most car door speakers in general tend to have some resistance to minor interaction with splashing. The Polk db's are water resistant, the MMC's are a little more resistant since they use aluminum baskets, JL's are good but I feel they are overmarketed. If they are not getting swamped in the bow too badly any poly car door speaker would probably last pretty well. Some marine speakers even use all plastic frames.

My personal feeling is that there is not a significant difference in sound between the midgrade speakers (ie Polk, Infinity) versus premium speakers (JL, Morel, etc.).

If you do not have a subwoofer the JLs are a good option because they provide a bit more lower end than most standard 6.5-6.75 door speakers.
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       03-09-2007, 10:58 AM Reply   
For the benefit of everyone, Joe is quite informed in this area. I know he would agree with me that the JL's rock, but not free. Joe knows a few things about speakers. If you want some check with your local dealer, they may have what you want. Or just email Joe...he will take care of you. My boat sounded great when he was done with it.
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-09-2007, 8:02 PM Reply   
again my sounds beautiful...with all polk speakers..i didnt mention price..polk dbs i got shipped for 130....and the sub shipped for 63...
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-12-2007, 12:53 PM Reply   
Thanks for the responses fellas.

I probably should have listed more info on what I'm looking for, but there is actually quite a bit to go off of already. This is the only area I didn't upgrade in the last round of upgrades. Flat ran out of funding with new everything last year (deck, sub, amps). I run only in fresh water, but with their location in the boat, they see quite a bit of water.

I'm trying to keep it under $300 for 4 speakers. They will be running of the deck for the time being (50 x 4 Pioneer). My local shop has the Pioneers for $120 p/pair. He has the JL 7.7 that he will sell me for $225 p/pair. At that point I'm going to have to cut bigger holes for the mids and new holes for the tweeters and it would only be right to run an amp to them. So even at that cost I'm way out of budget. It would be nice, but I've got a new house on the way and I have to tighten things up.

So my new questions are:

Do the Pioneers sound decent? Will the Polks lag on only 50 watts? Should I say F it and drop $700 on four speakers?
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       03-12-2007, 1:43 PM Reply   
Nick, I just installed 4 Polk Momo (the MMC650's) this weekend and am running them off of a Clarion 30W X 4 head unit; no amp, no sub.

To me and my son they sound great and I will use them this season without an amp and see how it goes. Got them on ebay (knaudio) for $208 to the door. They are crystal clear and the bass is solid.

PS - thanks to Mikeski for his PM personal input.
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-12-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
dude buy thr polks...i promise you will be happy.