Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (TXBecca4)      Join Date: Jan 2015       01-26-2015, 11:12 AM Reply   
Looking to purchase my first boat, will mainly be used for surfing, I am regular footed, will be financing, not leaning towards any certain brand or type just yet, just looking for best wave for the money I'm willing to spend :-)

Questions:
Should I buy from dealer or current owner?
Should I buy the extended warranty if I buy from dealer?
How many hours is too many hours?
Should I only be looking at 22 foot boats or will a 20 footer work? < - cause I was looking at the below R20 and wasnt sure if I would be happy with the wake, never surfed a 20 foot boat

Here are the two I was looking at this weekend at the dealer by my house:
2011 Tige R20 with surf system (600lbs on each side in the back and 350 on each side front)
http://skidock.com/Page.aspx/diid/78...-Boat-R20.aspx

2006 Tige 22Ve not sure what ballast set up is
http://skidock.com/Page.aspx/diid/78...Tige-22Ve.aspx

Any and all advice is appreciated, thanks!
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       01-26-2015, 1:45 PM Reply   
can't go wrong with either. The 22v has an amazing hull..just a little dated. The R20 would be less work because its newer and smaller. Depends on your family size!
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-26-2015, 2:14 PM Reply   
For what you want to spend you should be looking for an 07 or newer 230 enzo or a centurion avalanche or typhoon
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-26-2015, 5:10 PM Reply   
most boat owners will tell you to look at what they own, because they are familiar with the results, most boats can make a wave, but some are far easier to make a strong wave. so decide if you want bags all over the boat, how much weight to achieve the best wave, and then what you will do for space. i have had BU's for years and now have centurion, only because my dealer has both and i road both, boarding and surfing, my opinion is to by a boat that makes a killer surf wave with little effort, because all the boats make a great wakeboard wake.
Old     (TXBecca4)      Join Date: Jan 2015       01-27-2015, 5:03 AM Reply   
Thank you for chiming in. As far as how many people will be on the boat: probably 4-6 each time I go out. I would love to not have bags everywhere but don't mind one big one laying somewhere if I need it. I'll find out what the ballast package is on the 22ve today and see if that helps my decision. I'm kinda thinking I wont be happy with the lack of room in the 20 foot boats, maybe I should be looking for 22 foots...

I'm really nervous about trailering the boat to and from the lake and backing it in/out (don't laugh, I'm a girl and didn't grow up having to trailer anything) I'm sure each time I go out I will have a friend/brother that will help me, its just a scary thought to have something so expensive back there and not know what I'm doing. I don't what to be "that idiot" at the boat ramp who holds up everyone.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-27-2015, 5:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBecca4 View Post
Thank you for chiming in. As far as how many people will be on the boat: probably 4-6 each time I go out. I would love to not have bags everywhere but don't mind one big one laying somewhere if I need it. I'll find out what the ballast package is on the 22ve today and see if that helps my decision. I'm kinda thinking I wont be happy with the lack of room in the 20 foot boats, maybe I should be looking for 22 foots...

I'm really nervous about trailering the boat to and from the lake and backing it in/out (don't laugh, I'm a girl and didn't grow up having to trailer anything) I'm sure each time I go out I will have a friend/brother that will help me, its just a scary thought to have something so expensive back there and not know what I'm doing. I don't what to be "that idiot" at the boat ramp who holds up everyone.
I cant help you a boat decision as i only surf in the ocean, however the trailering thing is all about confidence and confidence comes from experience. Get out on a weekday when the ramp is all yours and practice. Go to a school parking lot on the weekends when empty and keep backing around the bus lanes. Only a few hours with some good help and youll be fine. Lots of girls can run boats and back trailers.
Old     (TXBecca4)      Join Date: Jan 2015       01-27-2015, 6:18 AM Reply   
Thanks, I'll remember that.
The 22ve doesn't have ballast already. It would be about $3k he said to add it and it would add 1600lbs total. I'll test drive it but I wont know what the wave will be like without the ballast :-/ I'm test driving the R20 (with the surf package) in the link above tomorrow, I've heard a 20 footer would be too small though....hmmmmmm
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-27-2015, 7:02 AM Reply   
Backing down a trailer at the ramp isn't hard. A good teacher is one that will teach you with you putting your hand on the BOTTOM of the steering wheel and not the top. I've taught a couple females that way and they had no issue after a few attempts.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-27-2015, 7:20 AM Reply   
Here's a decent link that shows the bottom of the steering wheel method
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6NijA1twFRU
Old     (retoxtony)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-27-2015, 9:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Thanks, I'll remember that.
The 22ve doesn't have ballast already. It would be about $3k he said to add it and it would add 1600lbs total. I'll test drive it but I wont know what the wave will be like without the ballast :-/ I'm test driving the R20 (with the surf package) in the link above tomorrow, I've heard a 20 footer would be too small though....hmmmmmm
The 22ve not having ballast is a plus in my opinion. The standard ballast system on those years isnt very good anyways and you'd need to upgrade it. It gives you an opportunity to start from scratch if you go with that boat. $3k sounds a little high for a 1600lb system. If your not scared to do some of the work yourself (its not that complicated) you can do it pretty cheap. I have a RZ2 which is very similar to a 22ve and i plumbed in 1100s in each rear locker and a integrated bow sac (750ish lbs) for around $1000.

If your really interested in these Tiges maybe head over to the Tige forum and see what those guys are getting for wakes. Lots of great info over there.

Last edited by retoxtony; 01-27-2015 at 9:04 PM.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-28-2015, 8:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by retoxtony View Post
The 22ve not having ballast is a plus in my opinion. The standard ballast system on those years isnt very good anyways and you'd need to upgrade it. It gives you an opportunity to start from scratch if you go with that boat. $3k sounds a little high for a 1600lb system. If your not scared to do some of the work yourself (its not that complicated) you can do it pretty cheap. I have a RZ2 which is very similar to a 22ve and i plumbed in 1100s in each rear locker and a integrated bow sac (750ish lbs) for around $1000.

If your really interested in these Tiges maybe head over to the Tige forum and see what those guys are getting for wakes. Lots of great info over there.
What retox said. Whatever brand you're looking at, find the forum for it and ask those owners everything you can think of before you buy. They'll help you out by telling you things to look for, how to set it up for surfing, what a good price is for the particular make model and year, and tons of other helpful knowledge.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-28-2015, 11:19 AM Reply   
My wife figured out driving the boat off & on the trailer in 3 trys & has only gotten better. We spent some time at a parking lot showing her how to back up & tow & she got that down quick too. You'll be fine after a few trys.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-28-2015, 2:12 PM Reply   
Becca, the 22ve is one of the most popular 'bargain' surf boats out there. When they were new they were just popular boats.

The R20 is not too small and actually produces one of the best surf wakes in that sized boat.

As far as trailering, Ski Dock can teach everything you need to know and send you out with people that will make you comfortable launching and landing your boat.

Nick
Old     (TXBecca4)      Join Date: Jan 2015       01-29-2015, 4:36 AM Reply   
OK, so the R20 was scooped up two days ago so I went and looked at the 22ve yesterday, I'll test drive it tomorrow. The boat is in really good condition from what the eye can see. Less than 200 hours, no rips in the vinyl, no dings on the bottom of the boat, steering cable just replaced in December, engine bay looked clean (although I dont know what to look for in there really), upgraded sound system with kicker speakers, JL audio tweeters and 4 JL audio tower speakers, two dings in the trailer where the pylons were probably tapped by the boat coming in too fast when putting it on the trailer. OK so as far as the ballast goes, there isnt any at all currently installed in the boat. They can do a 1250lbs L sack on the portside, an 850lbs sack on starboard side, and two 200lbs sacks in the bow. They would be Flyhigh sacks with Tsunami pumps for around $3k extra.
Compression test: 185, 180, 185, 180, 180, 160, 180, 180

Should I buy the extra ballast package or keep looking for another boat that already has it in there?
What should I look for or do in the test drive to learn more?
Is that compression test good?
Is the wake plate one where you push a button or have to swim under and manually adjust?
Should I buy an extended warranty?
He quoted me with everything right at $40,000..... how much do dealerships normally negotiate with you? If I counter offered at $35k would that be too much?

Thanks again everyone, I know I have a lot of questions but you are a tremendous help!
Old     (retoxtony)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-29-2015, 8:36 AM Reply   
That price for the ballast sounds ok if it's all installed and everything works and vents properly. You'll probably still want a little more ballast for surfing, especially on the goofy side. The compression looks ok but I'd be wondering about the one cylinder that's lower. It could be a lot of things or even just the way it was tested. if you could get it for 35k with that ballast installed it would be a good deal, I think. One thing to be aware of on that boat is the Tige Speedset is not a very good system and most people don't like it much. It tends to surge a bit and It gets worse with more ballast.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-29-2015, 8:49 AM Reply   
Stay away from a 2006 Tige. The motor is throttle by wire and the speed control has tons of issues. You can't install perfect pass on the motor as well, so you are kind of stuck. They fixed it in 2007.

If you want a serious surf boat for the money, go for a 24v. Better surf boat then the ve. I think I know of one for sale in that price range and is fully modified for surfing.

Quick list of great surf boats for that price range.

Centurion Avalanche C4
Centurion Enzo 230
Tige 22v, 24v, 22ve, 24ve
Sanger 215, 230
MB B52
Malibu (LSV hull)

I'm sure I am forgetting some. These are all proven waves. I have owned a avalanche, 24v. I surf a 24ve, supreme v226, malibu LSV, nautique G23 with NSS.

In my opion the 24v still has the best wave.
Old     (TXBecca4)      Join Date: Jan 2015       01-29-2015, 9:12 AM Reply   
This is the first I am hearing of the speed control issue and motor problem. Any others out there experience the same thing? What are the downsides to a throttle by wire?
Old     (retoxtony)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-29-2015, 9:52 AM Reply   
The problem isnt with the motor itself (the engine is solid). Like Duffy said its the throttle by wire system it uses. It basically means your stuck using Tiges version of cruise control which wasnt very good in 06. Some early 06s still had Perfect Pass which is preferable but from the pics of the boat you linked to, this 06 has the Tige version which is less desirable. Personally i'd still jump on it for the right price, but i would rather find one thats newer or older. I did look at a couple 06s myself last year but went to an 07 in the end. That same dealer you linked to has a 07 RZ2 listed for a bit more cash. Might be worth a look if you like boats with the picklefork bow.
Old     (LouZahr)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-29-2015, 10:44 AM Reply   
That RZ2 is a nice boat. I have surfed an 08 RZ2 a lot over the years and it can throw a monster wave! You could probably get it for around $40,000, with the vinyl fixed on the port side rear locker.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-29-2015, 8:34 PM Reply   
Tips for trailer at ramp have been spot on. One more, always put tow vehicle in NEUTRAL to back down the ramp, way easier and vehicle follows boat instead of trying to push it. Also, never have to worry bout hittin gas and pulling boat/trailer in way to far or worse. One of the best tips I ever got. Like has been mention, practice empty lots, weekdays at the ramp, ect... you will do fine w some confidence.

Also, whatever boat ya find ya like go to their forums and do research, ask questions ect...some great folks on some of the forums like here as well.
Old    MJHSupra            01-30-2015, 5:29 PM Reply   
What part of the country are you looking - TX?

There's some good info on the Supra and Moomba forums. There are some groups that get together for reunions - excuse to get boats together I've owned several boats (supra now). That is what I purchased when I bought my first wake boat. Used. $40K-ish.

Not knocking the other manufactures models. Supra is what I know b/c my buddy had one before me. So I help him work on his boat.

I added a ballast upgrade to mine. Then did a Wetsound Stereo upgrade the year after.

Not sure about the ext warranty stuff. I would have to read the 'fine print'. My worry would be some excuse when it's time to getting your boat fixed - not covered - wear & tear - misc other excuses to not pay.

Mark
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-30-2015, 7:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
OK, so the R20 was scooped up two days ago so I went and looked at the 22ve yesterday, I'll test drive it tomorrow. The boat is in really good condition from what the eye can see. Less than 200 hours, no rips in the vinyl, no dings on the bottom of the boat, steering cable just replaced in December, engine bay looked clean (although I dont know what to look for in there really), upgraded sound system with kicker speakers, JL audio tweeters and 4 JL audio tower speakers, two dings in the trailer where the pylons were probably tapped by the boat coming in too fast when putting it on the trailer. OK so as far as the ballast goes, there isnt any at all currently installed in the boat. They can do a 1250lbs L sack on the portside, an 850lbs sack on starboard side, and two 200lbs sacks in the bow. They would be Flyhigh sacks with Tsunami pumps for around $3k extra.
Compression test: 185, 180, 185, 180, 180, 160, 180, 180

Should I buy the extra ballast package or keep looking for another boat that already has it in there?
What should I look for or do in the test drive to learn more?
Is that compression test good?
Is the wake plate one where you push a button or have to swim under and manually adjust?
Should I buy an extended warranty?
He quoted me with everything right at $40,000..... how much do dealerships normally negotiate with you? If I counter offered at $35k would that be too much?

Thanks again everyone, I know I have a lot of questions but you are a tremendous help!
If they're quoting you 3k for a couple sacks and some tsunami pumps then forego that and just buy them yourself after the fact. You can get all that from wakemakers.com for under $1k.
Old     (TXBecca4)      Join Date: Jan 2015       01-31-2015, 5:33 AM Reply   
Test drove the 2006 Tige 22Ve yesterday. The forums were right about the 2006 year, Speed Set didn't work!!! Well, actually the speedometer wasn't moving therefore Speed Set wasn't working properly. I could hear/feel the Speed Set kick on but then it wouldn't do anything after that. Another thing that happened was when I was going about 25-35mph (no clue cause speedo wasn't working) I was putting the wake plate from 8 ---> 1 and the whole engine shut off and the alarm BEEEEEEP went off. Temp was fine, oil was fine, everything on the dash looked fine, we couldn't figure it out. So with those issues and it having no ballast at all..... I'll be looking for something else. What a bummer :-( Other than that I loved that boat! I did bring an Enzo sack with me and threw that in the locker, wave looked pretty decent.
Old     (superfeet)      Join Date: Feb 2015       02-01-2015, 1:09 PM Reply   
Hi ,

IF try to not step on any toes, - Look @ the ZR6 by WakeCraft, David build boats since 1969, also behind Malibu design etc. ... the boats are Fully Loaded...

More info on: www.wakecraftboats.com

Cheers and good luck...

McRoman
Old     (superfeet)      Join Date: Feb 2015       02-01-2015, 1:16 PM Reply   

/// McRoman

www.wakecraftboats.com

Quote:
Looking to purchase my first boat, will mainly be used for surfing, I am regular footed, will be financing, not leaning towards any certain brand or type just yet, just looking for best wave for the money I'm willing to spend :-)

Questions:
Should I buy from dealer or current owner?
Should I buy the extended warranty if I buy from dealer?
How many hours is too many hours?
Should I only be looking at 22 foot boats or will a 20 footer work? < - cause I was looking at the below R20 and wasnt sure if I would be happy with the wake, never surfed a 20 foot boat

Here are the two I was looking at this weekend at the dealer by my house:
2011 Tige R20 with surf system (600lbs on each side in the back and 350 on each side front)
http://skidock.com/Page.aspx/diid/78...-Boat-R20.aspx

2006 Tige 22Ve not sure what ballast set up is
http://skidock.com/Page.aspx/diid/78...Tige-22Ve.aspx

Any and all advice is appreciated, thanks!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-04-2015, 12:09 PM Reply   
Whats a hydrothrust 4?
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       02-04-2015, 12:27 PM Reply   
Gosh that wakecraft is Fugly.

Here's some thoughts:
https://www.onlyinboards.com/2007-Ma...xas-46806.aspx

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2009-Sa...xas-46915.aspx

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2008-Su...xas-47558.aspx

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2004-Su...xas-46645.aspx

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2008-MB...xas-47188.aspx

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2009-Ep...xas-47180.aspx

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2007-Ma...xas-46561.aspx

https://www.onlyinboards.com/Very-Ni...oma-46672.aspx