Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-19-2016, 8:48 AM Reply   
So does anyone do an asymmetric stance setup like they snowboard? I get why a symmetric duck is a good idea for going switch and all that; however, for us folks not really looking to go beyond just messing around and jumping the wake, is their any reason I wouldn't want to set it up a little more directional?

What are your thoughts on

1: setback: Specifically moving the bindings back a hole kinda like what you do on a powder day if you don't have a dedicated powder board

2. Asymmetric duck. Say have the back a 6 degrees and the front at 18 degrees.

All I really want to to is go out their, carve and jump the wake.

Ps...I'm an old dude so don't really like the hard edge catches anymore and don't really want to be one of the "...all we do is surf" crowd.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-21-2016, 12:50 PM Reply   
You can try it. In my opinion it's best just to ride centered stance so that you can progress to doing 180s or beyond if you wan,t and not have to worry about getting used to a new stance. Wakeboards already ride nose up, unlike a snowboard, so I don't see any advantage to this.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-21-2016, 1:58 PM Reply   
always rode with my front ducked out a few degrees. 12* more than back seems a bit extreme. jump off of something and see how your feet land. always a good starting point. don't move the bindings back. try it and go from there. unless you have MAJOR time on a snowboard, I'd setup a wakeboard differently. you probably won't even feel the difference one you get on the water
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-23-2016, 11:48 AM Reply   
I do mine 12/ -12 slight duck one insert in from ends , been riding since 1998 this way seems to be popular stance
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-23-2016, 11:59 AM Reply   
Eh. I would advise against it unless there is a medical/comfort reason or you are riding a directional board. You will have more strength (especially switch) if you are digging in equally with both heels/toes. The only guys I've seen pull it off were snowboarders that ride far more snow than water. The mechanics are different wake vs snow. I see no advantage.

I've ridden a comfortable width apart and between 10-15 degrees (depending on available angles) symmetrical for over 20 years.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-23-2016, 5:56 PM Reply   
The big problem with asymmetric stances is riding switch, and an asymmetric stance will prevent you from learning the right skills to ever ride switch. In other words, if you're thinking about setting up asymmetric now, it probably means you are a bit of a one trick pony right now, and going asymmetric will take your more difficult switch side today and make it even harder. I would only go asymmetric if you never plan on learning even basic switch moves.

All bets are off if you have some kind of physical issue that might dictate asymmetry, like the residual impact of an injury, one leg longer than the other, etc. I suppose there could be certain physical conditions were an asymmetric stance might actually improve your ability to ride switch.