Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-07-2011, 10:30 AM Reply   
So I was trying to make my nose grab crow mobes better looking. Trying to bring them up more so I go more over the top, opposed to a slightly more Ole style like I typically do. They looked better but I was going out the front of my board when I landed. In typical wakeboarder style it was try and try again to get them dialed in. Well eventually I went out the front and on my way down I hooked up the front of my heel edge. Then snap does the ankle. Dont know if its broken or just a High Ankle Sprain, but I going to have it X-rayed in about 2 hours. I am SO PISSED with MN Spring Ride coming up this weekend!

Here's the Damage!
Attached Images

Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-07-2011, 10:37 AM Reply   
Brutal! Get well soon.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-07-2011, 10:39 AM Reply   
Gross.

I did the SAME exact thing last summer. Over the front/heel edge on a crowmobe... ended up not wakeboarding the rest of the summer - hope yours heals quickly!
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-07-2011, 10:41 AM Reply   
Damn, sorry to hear. Be careful & diligent with that recovery/healing process. My GF broker her ankle mountain biking 2.5 years ago. A couple of operations later, it's still not the same.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-07-2011, 10:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
Gross.

I did the SAME exact thing last summer. Over the front/heel edge on a crowmobe... ended up not wakeboarding the rest of the summer - hope yours heals quickly!
Ughhh that's my biggest fear right now, last year I was done riding July 30 when I broke my hand and had to have surgery!!

It's so Dumb! I was just trying to make a trick I can do in sleep look better and then this.

Last edited by andy_nintzel; 06-07-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-07-2011, 10:56 AM Reply   
Wow, THAT is ugly Andy! Let us know how it turns out....real bummer with Nationals in your state too next month! Hang in there....I know it's hard.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-07-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
I was just trying to make a trick I can do in sleep look better and then this.
I almost died last night on a TS Backroll to revert. Just a no-brainer trick that ended up with my nuts and face getting hammered.... wakeboarding is just crazy like that.... when you least expect it, WHAM!

EDIT:
Actually now that I think of it, last night was my first set in over a year
Old     (Mindy)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-07-2011, 11:00 AM Reply   
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! Getting broken sucks, I should know I just [osed about my broken leg The human body is amazing though, here's to the power of recovery...GOOD LUCK
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-07-2011, 11:15 AM Reply   
Damn, sprained mine on Saturday riding on Riley.. Not even CLOSE to that.. Sucks man - get well Bro.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-07-2011, 11:20 AM Reply   
Looks bad Dude. Sorry. I hope it's not broken.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-07-2011, 11:49 AM Reply   
Oh that is definitely broken. Wait a week when it turns dark purple..mmmmm. I did the same to my right ankle trying to learn HS Fronts. I was able to get it set and avoided surgery. Elevate that bad boy above your heart, it will drain the blood and get the swelling down. My right calf is still jacked up, it never got the muscle definition back. Only good thing is you will get very good at jumping around on your right foot.

Sorry to hear it Andy, feel better and prepare to hone your x-box skills.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-07-2011, 11:50 AM Reply   
gross man... that's gnar. good luck and keep us posted
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-07-2011, 11:53 AM Reply   
Ouch! My foot had the same sort of bruise around the sides when I dug in trying to learn a switch roll on the cable. But my ankle didn't look so bad and xray's only turned up a sprain. Hope it's not broke, but that looks nasty.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-07-2011, 11:56 AM Reply   
That ain't good bro. I suggest you start working on getting that swelling out of there.

I did the same thing coming up short on a TS backroll. Mine looked just like that and I was riding in 2 months. No telling what you have going on until the xray though.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-07-2011, 12:12 PM Reply   
That sux dude. I've been riding on a sprained ankle all season so far as well...suck donkey ballz! Hopefully you heal quickly. You should still come up to the Spring Ride.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-07-2011, 12:29 PM Reply   
I have broken mine twice- took a year to heal last time. Rehab dude- I didn't do it for a while and it cost me big. Not a great way to start the year. I am sitting out with a blown eardrum right now too... totally sucks.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-07-2011, 12:44 PM Reply   
This is ****ty dude - when did it happen?
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       06-07-2011, 12:54 PM Reply   
Man that thing looks awful! I have had a high ankle sprain and that looks much worse! I hope it heals up quickly and you get back out riding soon!
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-07-2011, 1:49 PM Reply   
Sucks to hear that happen to you Andy, certainly wasnt karma. Whatever it is, hope it heals up soon!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-07-2011, 2:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_mn View Post
This is ****ty dude - when did it happen?
Last night on Bald Eagle. I though I tore my foot off. I was falling one way then my board caught and my front ankle took all the torque of my body getting slammed in another direction. I had to get cut out of my binding.

Went to the Doc, got x-rayed, I have a crack in my Talus Bone and chip in my Navicular bone. On top of that they think I might have ripped my Anterior Talofibula Ligament. I am SOOOOOO PISSED OFF. At least 4 week down with just the bone breaks. DAYUMMIT! Getting an MRI tomorrow. In a boot, most likely end up with a cast.
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-07-2011, 2:13 PM Reply   
Andy, didn't realize you switched over to the system bindings. j/p man... get better.

Last edited by stoked_32; 06-07-2011 at 2:16 PM.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-07-2011, 2:18 PM Reply   
Damn bro, that looks nasty. The breaks usually heal better than the ligaments so let's hope the MRI is negative. Looks like you'll be driving next weekend at MN Spring Ride. I could send you a banner to hold up if you tired of driving let that thing heal good, they can haunt you later in life.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-07-2011, 2:32 PM Reply   
Broken Talus bone- I had that. Not much you can do- careful with the cast idea. when I broke mine they told me to keep it moving so the calsification wouldn't build up in the joint. I didn't do that - i wore a boot for weeks and it totally F'd me for a long time. Went to Phys Therapy and they gave me these great big 4 inch wide rubber bands to strech the ankle and keep it loose. It really helped. Good luck - hope the ligaments are good- might just be strained with a hit like that. Mri will tell all.... Good luck Andy.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-07-2011, 7:07 PM Reply   
DAYUM FOO! That is just plain gross. Get that crap heeled up so you can at least get on the water before the summer is over. Good luck homie!
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-07-2011, 8:42 PM Reply   
I broke my tib and fib 4 years ago (which required surgery {screws and a plate}, so hopefully yours is not as bad), but dude, your ankle looks much worse than mine did. Man, hopefully it just looks worse than it is and you will only be on the shelf for a few weeks. Good luck and speedy recovery.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-07-2011, 10:25 PM Reply   
YIKES. i hate hearing and seeing things like this. scares me.
hope all turns out well
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-08-2011, 7:44 AM Reply   
Hope you heal up quickly Andy, getting injured sucks!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-08-2011, 8:53 AM Reply   
You've got body parts I've never heard of.
Old    dperizzolo            06-08-2011, 12:00 PM Reply   
Might be those O'brien bindings you are using Andy. Ha ha just kidding. I'm sorry to hear that dude. I dislocated my knee teaching Phys. Ed. on April 1. There will probably be no wakeboarding in my summer.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-08-2011, 1:23 PM Reply   
Boo!!! Hope it heals quickly
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-10-2011, 7:57 AM Reply   
Well the swelling has dropped a bit. I got the all clear on no tendon damage, just stretched them out a but. HOPEFULLY I can be back on the water in 3-4 more weeks. SO LAME, I am going to miss the first ever MN spring Ride. I HATE IT!
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-10-2011, 8:52 AM Reply   
Wow, Andy....sounds like you are really lucky 'cause that looked wicked bad!! Hope your recovery is quick!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-10-2011, 9:00 AM Reply   
Lucky is not even the half of it. The wakeboard gods were looking out for me on this one. I still feel so dumb for doing this. My sports medicine doc telling me 4 weeks was a bit of a shock because I cant really put any weight on it and can barely move it. Rehab starts next week, sure that will hurt!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-10-2011, 9:17 AM Reply   
Good luck on the rehab man.. Hope it goes well..

Why is the pic dated 5/18? Thought that was weird.. Sent it to my buddy to show the carnage and noticed it was an old pic.

We'll have fun for ya at Spring Ride - take it easy on that couch.. RICE - rest, ice, cocktails, elevation
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-10-2011, 9:30 AM Reply   
that is weird? Could be my ghetto old diggy camer I used???? I uploaded it to wakeworld straight from the camera the time stamp has never been right on that thing.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-10-2011, 9:34 AM Reply   
Good news on no ligament damage!!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-10-2011, 10:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
that is weird? Could be my ghetto old diggy camer I used???? I uploaded it to wakeworld straight from the camera the time stamp has never been right on that thing.
Well that's even more weird then cause it says the pic was taken with an I phone. The technology is weird.

Either way, and get well soon bro