Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-08-2009, 5:34 PM Reply   
So I was watching the biggest loser the other day and for one of the challenges they were laying on an incline over water and hanging from a wakeboard/ski handle for as long as they could. The winner lasted about 15 minutes, and it made me wonder how long I could hang there.

It then made me wonder how long is the longest anyone has ever wakeboarded without falling or taking a break. Back in the day (about 12 years ago) I remember taking a 40 minute run without falling until my arms were too tired. (And yes I know, if your not falling you're not progressing so I guess I should have fallen more.)

So what is the longest you all have gone without falling or resting?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-08-2009, 5:46 PM Reply   
Strap an extra 100lbs on myself and.... hmmm 15 minutes might start feeling closer to 30 min or more.

i would say i have gone about the same back when i was a begginer at the end of the season (don't fall, it's cold)

i also wakeboarded for something like 4 hours without stopping to get in the boat last year working as a wake instructor. i was boarding alongside the kids that were learning, a group of 8. i find it easier, more successful, and more fun to ride with those you teach.

i think i remember reading somewhere of a kid that went to the cable park and rode the entire day without a fall for a charity thing... or maybe the rider was trying to make a new guenisses (spelling?) record? anyone know?
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       10-08-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
Better yet who regularly takes 45 minute to hour long sets?
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-08-2009, 6:24 PM Reply   
lol i think everbody used to take the long sets back when they were learning. i remember riding for about an hour and a half then i learned to jump both ways and now it sucks once you throw trick after trick i am done after about 15 minutes and i usually dont stop between tricks when im on it that day i go back and forth, but if im failing miserably i ride longer.
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-08-2009, 6:29 PM Reply   
I spent 6 hours on a pair of water skis teaching "handycapable" people to ski, wakeboard and sit ski at the extremity games 2 summers ago. At the end of the day my arms felt like jello and i could barely walk. What a great experience though and I would do it all over again if given the opportunity. When I was first getting into wakeboarding I used to take 2 to 3 45 minute sets a day about 4 days a week.
Old     (jrich)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-08-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
rode about a 40 min set yesterday till i cought my ts edge on a ts 5. that will sure take the wind out of your sails!
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       10-09-2009, 12:53 AM Reply   
Once rode tandem with a friend seeing who could throw the most tantrums in a row, we finally stopped After the 16th or 17th tantrum, about a 45 minute set at least. I had the worst tennis elbow ever after that run.
Old     (rknott)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-09-2009, 7:48 AM Reply   
Its called tantrum elbow...
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-09-2009, 8:56 AM Reply   
Rumor is that Rusty will use up a full tank of gas in his X Star for his set.
Old     (guest)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-09-2009, 9:08 AM Reply   
yea to get on plain
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-09-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
Our sets are always at least 30min and sometimes longer if working on new shi*.

My buddy Jeff takes like hour long sets man... watched him ride a doubles set for like 45, then the other guy got in the boat and jeff rode for another 45... dude was literally on the water for an hour and a half just the other day
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-09-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
what tires me out more than just riding, is if i'm learning something new. out there trying to stomp something new and fallin several times in a row. Say you normally ride for 30-45 mins or whatever and land everything you got, that's not goin to make me as tired as a 30 min set where i get up and immediately start trying what i'm going for and falling 15 times in a row in that 30 mins. that's what's more tiring to me, takin the fall, and bein pulled back up time and time again.
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-09-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
Has anyone ever done or seen the Catalina ski race? Skiers race from Long Beach to Catalina Island and back, which is a total of 62 miles. That would definitely make your arms tired.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-09-2009, 11:38 AM Reply   
Russell

I have seen that before, they do some type of race water skiing too, that shiat is crazy.

www.nwsra.net/

I can ride for an hour easy, although we kinda have a rule in my boat about 20 minute sets, seems like nothing good ever happens after 20 - 30 mintues.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-09-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
Our body of water (Mississippi) is a river that is dredged for 7 miles. Once we get our arms for the year we can usually take a set to the dam and a bit back up so more than 7 miles. But maybe not fall-free...and I dont think I can ride that long anymore not in shape
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-10-2009, 9:38 AM Reply   
Everyone in my crew can ride for rediculously long runs. It's one reason we have a hard time inviting anyone else out with us. there just won't be enough time for everyone! The running joke now is "the finger". You know, the one you put up when you want to try something just one more time? I think the current record is 26 "fingers". We have started betting on how many we will see.........
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-10-2009, 10:57 AM Reply   
I met one of my best friends due to a marathon set. Rocking our old boat (sea ray, no weight) I saw these guys in a wake boat (Tige DD - still not a lot of inboards on public water in NE) about 40 minutes into my set. They came over about 15 minutes later and asked if I wanted a pull. That had been my 3rd set of the day, and was going to be my last, but I said yes of course and stayed out for another 15-20 minutes. Been riding with him and his kids for years now, great guy - If I had quit a bit sooner I would still be behind the old sea ray!