Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-12-2011, 8:22 PM Reply   
My g/f is a new wakeboarder working on fundementals. She can do HS and TS jumps, some switch riding/carving, and surface 180's. She's wanting to concentrate on her timing on her pop approaching the wake for better, more controlled jumps. Would you recommend a longer line for her to have a wider wake, thus having more room to land and not having to worry about the second wake or would you stay with a short line. She is not worried about w2w right now...just a controlled jump with a little height. Thank you
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-12-2011, 8:55 PM Reply   
what type of boat/ how big is the wake? Shorter rope = slower speed to get a cleaner wake = not as scary or as hard of falls. On the other hand, longer rope does give room for landing. I would say medium length, get a couple of good jumps, and then shorten it up and go for it.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-12-2011, 9:15 PM Reply   
She should ride the length where she is able to at least reach the other tranny both ways every time. Casing the wake is where you get hurt. When she is consistantly landing out in the flats both ways, then it's time to add line. The height has way more to do with technique and line tension than line length. If she is not able to go wake to wake yet then a longer line is better so she has time to negotiate the second wake after landing but not too far back that she's hitting a rolled over wake. Once she has control, it's back to a shorter line to make it easier to get wake to wake.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-12-2011, 9:17 PM Reply   
Moomba XLV (23ft) only front ballast to keep the wake clean. I would say it's a medium size wake. With this boat, speed and clean wake is an issue. With medium to long line, speed needs to be 21-22mph to have a clean wake. I might get a clean wake at 60' line at 20mph but under that it all wash.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-12-2011, 9:36 PM Reply   
Moomba XLV (23ft) only front ballast to keep the wake clean. I would say it's a medium size wake. With this boat, speed and clean wake is an issue. With medium to long line, speed needs to be 21-22mph to have a clean wake. I might get a clean wake at 60' line at 20mph but under that it all wash.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-12-2011, 10:45 PM Reply   
another great thing about using "long" lines is that riders can practice jumping from the outside in and then the inside out. a rider can get twice as much practice in the same time
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-13-2011, 3:39 AM Reply   
I agree with JEREMY.Long line and clean wake.
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-13-2011, 10:11 AM Reply   
I find that most new riders get a huge confidence boost from going wake to wake, so I say you should go short. Probably 60' max.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-13-2011, 10:14 AM Reply   
2+ on the long line to start.

Start her at 19-20 mph on 80ft. After she get the hang of a good cut and air and feels confident on her TS & HS 1 wake jumps bring her in. Keep the same speed 19-20mph and bring her to 55ft or even less. (do you know how to loop lock your line to under 55?) Make sure she is in far enough that she can hit the tranny with the same cut she was taking at the long line 1 wake jumps. After she get HS & TS W2W jumps at the short and slow you can slowly increase speed and length.

Have fun!

PS Let me know if you do not know how to loop lock your line. I can try to explain or post a pic.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-13-2011, 12:11 PM Reply   
Im with clay, Maybe 60-65.Slow speed down. The crashes are going to be softer and she wont know the difference. she will probably only know that she is jumping wake 2 wake and that will help progression.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-15-2011, 7:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trio View Post
2+ on the long line to start.

Start her at 19-20 mph on 80ft. After she get the hang of a good cut and air and feels confident on her TS & HS 1 wake jumps bring her in. Keep the same speed 19-20mph and bring her to 55ft or even less. (do you know how to loop lock your line to under 55?) Make sure she is in far enough that she can hit the tranny with the same cut she was taking at the long line 1 wake jumps. After she get HS & TS W2W jumps at the short and slow you can slowly increase speed and length.

Have fun!

PS Let me know if you do not know how to loop lock your line. I can try to explain or post a pic.
Tommy - Post the pics and explain if possible.
Old     (Mindy)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-14-2011, 9:01 PM Reply   
Obviously, I'm a girl, too, and that's where I was skill wise last season. Sounds like our boat might have a similar wake also. We brought the rope in to 60 and I rode at about 17-18 speed wise. It only took three trips of two or three pull turns of going safe a few times back and forth and doing like Jeremy said, jumping in and out both hs and ts, then just hurling myself as fast and hard as I could at the wake and hoping it came out, to see what it felt like to really get some fling off the wake and land on the other side. I took quite a few tumbles, but at that speed it wasn't really a big deal. I was getting comfortable with how to jump and land at first, but also I felt I wasn't ever going to go bigger unless I just went for it. I didn't want to have to inch it out farther every time going just a bit more and struggle landing in the awkward swelly part while learning; I landed in it a few times and the water felt really hard and messy right there.(can you tell I don't know all the wakeboard language?) Once I landed that first full w2w jump I felt like such a freakin' rockstar, then I got the second one too, and from then on I just knew I could do it and I did. You said she's not worried about getting it, but if she did I just know it will change her riding and she will have SOSOSOSo much more fun.
Old     (glassywater09)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-04-2011, 7:51 PM Reply   
3+ on long line to learn cut, float, landing. Steady shots past white center line then mega short (40-50)and if she gives it 2/3 of long line drive then she will be sporting that award winning bright white smile from landing in the silk of the tranny.... Si, what a confidence booster! Love a happy ending.