Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Zeztyy)      Join Date: Aug 2016       09-23-2016, 9:53 AM Reply   
I'm trying to decide between the two boards mentioned above and I'm having a hard time. I like the idea of the hammerheads blunt nose for riding revert but I don't know if it would truly be noticeable. Does anyone have experience with either or both of these boards? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-23-2016, 10:24 AM Reply   
I find wider noses a little harder to ride revert because they are a lot looser/slippery. When the wide nose is in the back it sits much higher in the water and doesnt sit in and dig into the wake. And because there is no fin up there, it is very loose.

Sharper points sit deeper into the wake and give you more control and grip, but because they are sitting deeper they are going to be slower than a board with a wide end. It's a give and take.
I personally prefer a board that is fast but has sharp pin tails and a pointed nose, so that I have plenty of speed but a lot of control no matter what the direction of the board is.

It's all personal preference. Do you need more speed when riding revert or more control when riding revert?
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-24-2016, 9:11 AM Reply   
Mitch is correct. The concept of wider nose for revert is a myth predicated by people that do not understand shapes and fluid dynamics. Some may really like a wider nose for revert, and to them it might feel right, and so they may think it is 'better', but like Mitch said, a pointed nose digs in more and acts like a fin, providing more control, especially when learning revert control on sliding maneuvers like drifters, etc. You have to dig an edge or corner harder on a blunted nose board. A wide or blunted nose is more about straightening out the template and adding volume where you may want it. The trend for wider blunter tail blocks and noses in skim boards is a trend toward a higher airs, and rotations, not revert riding specifically.

This does not completely hold true to a surf style board. The basics are the same, but often the wider nose plays a number of different roles.

Nick