Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       05-20-2015, 1:59 PM Reply   
Turned onto a highway onramp yesterday (slow moving, fairly heavy traffic) and a motorcycle cop jumps out into the traffic and pulls over 3 of us who made the right turn. Tells us it was illegal and it's a $100 ticket. I look back down the road and the no right turn sign is a good 3 car lengths behind the signal stop line - no sign whatsoever across the street on the signal or anywhere else - no indication anywhere else that you shouldn't make the turn.

Obviously set up to be a trap as lots of people are making the turn and they have two moto cops just camped out pulling people over out of the slow traffic on foot.

Anyone contested one of these before? Any tips? (this is Hawaii btw)

Thanks!
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-20-2015, 3:54 PM Reply   
Take a video of the way it is set up, if it doesn't make sense then tell them that in court, don't be an a-hole about it, but state what you think is wrong with the turn and lack of sign posting in the same area. Being polite in the courtroom and having evidence will go a long ways.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       05-20-2015, 3:56 PM Reply   
Thanks Jason. I'm going to be contesting in writing (at least initially). hopefully that will be the end of it and won't even have to deal with the hassle of court.
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-20-2015, 3:57 PM Reply   
If you contest it in writing, send some pictures with it. If you can show that the signs don't make sense that should be the end of it.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-20-2015, 4:14 PM Reply   
Wes I pulled in a special favor for you. Dog said to bring this into court with you and your good to go.
Attached Images

Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       05-20-2015, 4:23 PM Reply   
I'm in the clear, thanks G.
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-20-2015, 7:12 PM Reply   
Stop at that intersection again at a "safe" stopping distance which means that you can SEE the wheel line when stopped and take a quick panoramic video showing there is no sign posted within view and do a detailed map with pics of where the signs are.

Not sure about the legalities of where they need to be placed, but you have the fact that they were working it as a trap in your favor.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-20-2015, 10:10 PM Reply   
I'm pretty certain that video evidence isn't admissible in traffic court.
Old     (BigJohnsonUT)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-20-2015, 10:50 PM Reply   
I hate these things as much as anyone, but for me I've found that just paying the $100 is easier than the stress and worry about fighting it. unfortunately.

My time is worth more than $100.

SJ
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-20-2015, 11:33 PM Reply   
Depends on where you are maybe, Colorado they will look at it.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       05-21-2015, 1:41 AM Reply   
SJ, I know. And with everything going on right now who knows if I'll have the motivation to get it done. But it ticks me off to see them taking advantage of people. 4 others got pulled over just in the time it took him to write my ticket - like fish in a barrel.
Old     (spikeTX42)      Join Date: Dec 2014       05-21-2015, 5:50 AM Reply   
If you have the time to spare, postpone the court date as many times as possible and then show up on the day it is scheduled and watch it be dismissed. I've postponed all of my tickets (one of them over a year) and showed up in court to fight it. Every one of them so far has been dismissed - even if the cop shows up. The reason being that the docket is so full of real crimes that they don't have time for petty crap like moving violations.

I live in Houston so take that with a grain of salt - Hawaii might not have an overfull court system.
Old    bigdtx            05-21-2015, 9:54 AM Reply   
I tried to contest a ticket once (Dallas) -not only did they not dismiss it, they added court costs on top of it since I showed up in court. Lesson learned.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-21-2015, 3:07 PM Reply   
pay the $100 and move on ... or get a lawyer. You being you ... in a court and before a Judge ... you're gonna get a rude shock. I bet ... 100 bucks says Wes pays 100 bucks ... or maybe more.