Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       04-21-2015, 4:06 PM Reply   
I may be taking a job in San Antonio as was looking for some advice from those of you who know the area. Will be working in the city area but want to live outside of the chaos, preferably on a lake house. Just looking for a direction to get started, where to be looking and any tips from the locals. Also have some elementary school kids, are there better areas school wise? and if anybody knows about cheerleading teams, all of my kids cheer. Thank for any of the info guys!

- Jason
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       04-21-2015, 6:46 PM Reply   
been reading a lot about lake levels being horrible, if anyone can shed some light on how bad they are in the area. thanks.
Old    bigdtx            04-22-2015, 6:41 AM Reply   
Do you speak Spanish? It'd be a lot better if you did... I lived down there for about a year but that was quite a while ago. If things haven't changed that much then you probably want to look on the north side of town above the 1604 loop.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-22-2015, 6:51 AM Reply   
Little bit of a commute but check out the New Braunfels area. There a few awesome lakes there as well. Canyon Lake, Lake Placid, Lake McQueeny, Meadow lake and Lake Dunlap.

Check this guy out for more info. Lake Medina was an awesome lake but I believe it is about dried up at this point.

http://www.lakehouses4sale.net/
Old     (Treybiz)      Join Date: Nov 2014       04-22-2015, 7:13 AM Reply   
+2 for New Braunfels and commuting.

Learn Spanish.

Hide everything in your vehicle in town.. My install crews are constantly having break ins.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-22-2015, 8:34 AM Reply   
You must be thoroughly screened and go thru an interview and selection process to move to Texas. We're full up. Very few vacancies. Crime is rampant: Home invasions, car jackings, kidnapping etc. And our property taxes are horrendous. Not to mention the HEAT!!.

Best just to stay where you are.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-22-2015, 12:26 PM Reply   
all our LEDs look like chit and are about to fall off.
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       04-26-2015, 10:09 AM Reply   
lol, love the advice, thanks everyone. going to make a trip down there next week and see if the job fits my family and I, and go from there.
Old     (natedogg)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-27-2015, 9:18 AM Reply   
I've lived in new braunfels/ SA area all my life and I ride lake dunlap a lot as well as mcqueeney and lake placid, they are all the same river jus separated by dams. I commute to SA down I10 every day and its not bad. There are great schools and neighborhoods in SA and New Braunfels, let me know if you have any specific questions on certain neighborhoods be glad to help.
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       04-27-2015, 4:29 PM Reply   
^^^ thank you, appreciate it. After this trip at the end of the week I am going to see if the job is going to work out or not. If it is Im sure I will have tons on questions.
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       04-27-2015, 9:38 PM Reply   
Jason...you are correct.....SOME lake levels are historically low around the SA area and Austin...but some of the rivers remain full and constant. My home lake (Medina) has been unusable since 2011....so I have a bit of a drive to go to Canyon and Lake LBJ. Helotes area is good...Northside School district is good..so is Northeast....but Northside outside 1604 is ON FIRE in the growth department. There is no end in sight. The roads are literally crumbling from the amount of new traffic. I have a 9 year old in that was in cheer last year...so I've got a little knowledge on the cheer/dance places.

Ken
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-28-2015, 10:18 AM Reply   
go spurs go