Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Droopington)      Join Date: Jul 2015       06-05-2017, 7:38 AM Reply   
This is a follow up thread to the last post. I was interested to hear what you guys think are the top wakeboard tricks either park or boat ever landed, judged on difficulty, risk, and historical context i.e. Parks 1080 in 99' was 7 years ahead of Danny Harf's 1080 in 07'.

1) Speedball - Rider Darin Shapiro: This is number 1 strictly because Darin was doing this in 96' years before anyone could ever dream of doubles...

2) Switch Double Mobe - Rider Parks Bonifay: In 2006 when it seemed like parks was on his own level he took his signature double half cab roll to mobe to put him in legendary status.

3) 1080 - Rider Parks Bonifay: I have this as number 2 because in 99' a 900 was a HUGE deal, and parks comes out of nowhere with a 1080. It took 8 years before another rider was able to land another 1080.

4) Half Cab Double Roll - Rider Parks Bonifay: I have this as number 3 because again Parks was light years ahead of all other riders, consistantly sticking his half cab double, and also working on switch double mobes.

5) Double Roll to Blind Early Pass Stale - Mike Dowdy: Back when everyone was getting regular double flips down to a science, Dowdy lands this stylish super technical hammer to make everyone contemplate what is possible...

6) BS Double Cork 1080 - Max Van Helvort: The creativity and commitment encompassed in this trick was other worldly. I definitely think these types of tricks will be the future of park riding.

7) TS 1260 - Rider Danny Harf: in 2010 only a few years prior to riders landing a handful of 1080's Danny Harf spent a few days working on this gem.

8) Crow Mobe 7 - Rider Philip Soven: in 2008 seeing Melon Crow Mobe 7 was unheard of. I do remember in maybe 2005-06 Shaun Murray trying a few off the double off, and they just looked gnarly. Seeing Philip Soven stick this back then was unbelievable.

9) Crow Mobe 9 - Rider Harley Clifford: in 2014 Harley lands a Crow 9 like it's a Crow 5.

10) Triple Indy TS Backroll - Rider Cody Hesse: in 2015 Cody Hesse lands a triple flip. I would have liked to rank this a bit higher however, I feel as it would have been nice to see more double variations as opposed to adding another flip, and opening the triple bag...

What do you guys think? What does your list look like? I definitely missed some cable tricks, that I would have like to put on the list, like Christopher Klein's "Klein" S-Mobe rewind, or Front Mobe 7's etc.
Old     (kmayotte)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-05-2017, 1:42 PM Reply   
Epic list. Got me googling all these now...

I'd add Brad Smeele's double flip at Lake Ronix (double tantrum to blind?)

Last edited by kmayotte; 06-05-2017 at 1:46 PM. Reason: change
Old     (Droopington)      Join Date: Jul 2015       06-06-2017, 4:50 AM Reply   
Nice Forgot about that one. Also Chad Sharpes TS Double Indy Backroll, Bob Sovens Trifecta, and Mike Dowdy's HS FS Double Grabbed Ole 900, Dowdy KGB 7, Dowdy Moby Dick 7.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       06-06-2017, 9:34 AM Reply   
TS Double Indy Backroll, was that boat or cable? Video?
Old     (Droopington)      Join Date: Jul 2015       06-06-2017, 9:47 AM Reply   
https://youtu.be/7N5WDI0Jng0

Thats Chad sharpe behind the boat. I know Raph Derome, Oli Derome, Harley, Danny Harf, and Dowdy have all landed indy double backrolls behind the boat.

Last edited by Droopington; 06-06-2017 at 9:54 AM. Reason: Correction
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-06-2017, 12:19 PM Reply   
1) Benjamin Hoppe - Double backmobe 540
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-06-2017, 1:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droopington View Post
LOL, Put that in the life vest thread. Sure to get some outrage going.
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-06-2017, 2:19 PM Reply   
Don't forget about Matt Sims' 009 --- Osmosis 5 + ole 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmhJ3PYAMR0
Old     (Droopington)      Join Date: Jul 2015       06-06-2017, 3:06 PM Reply   
Forgot about that one!
Old     (Droopington)      Join Date: Jul 2015       06-06-2017, 3:09 PM Reply   
Yeah JB all those Breddas hammers... In terms of difficulty thou would you consider say the Ben Hoppe Double Backmobe 5 on an elevated 2.0 with an indian line more difficult than say a double half cab wake 2 wake behind the boat? You would be the best one to judge the Breddas tricks in terms of difficulty compared to say a crow 7 behind the boat or a double behind the boat. ?
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       06-06-2017, 5:04 PM Reply   
The Breddas tricks are hard to compare. As someone who frequently rides system 2, I find the upwards pull and short line makes handlepass tricks harder than boat/regular cable as the tension and pull reef the handle hard in the wrong direction. They stated that they had to rework the techniques of many of their tricks, and lets face it, how many riders have replicated their tricks? Personally I'd say the big kicker had more to do with it, but either way, much respect.

Back On track - I'd almost split this list into cable and boat tricks, and include tricks like the rewinds (Aaron Gunn landed a BS3-rewind 5 at FISE) and Massi's rewind 3 would get an honourable mention. Pretty much spot on though.
Old     (Droopington)      Join Date: Jul 2015       06-06-2017, 6:09 PM Reply   
Will very true. I ride both boat and regular cable have ridden 2.0 to practice air tricks but not a setup similar to Breddas. I agree in the sense it looks like the handle pass aspect would be trickier but multiple flips may be easier.

And yes Aaron Gunn, J.B. and Daniel Grant have some rewind hammers... Also Daniel Grants rewinds from back Red Bull Wake Open in 2012 were ridiculous too. Masi's Elephant rewind and his tootsie roll were some bangers too along with his boat spin rewinds. Diego B.s Pete Rose 7's & hintenburger 9's. Big Johnsons, back in the day were sick...

Definitely agree on separating the list between boat and cable tricks. Maybe even kicker tricks and rail transfer tricks... That would be some crazzzy lists.