Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-01-2017, 11:19 AM Reply   
last weekend my PP display started going on the fritz. worked fine saturday, get out there Monday and it wouldn't show current speed or anything. just completely blank screen. we shut down after a few sets and it came on next time we started. I realized that its still working, but the screen is out. beeps when set, holds speed perfectly. just can't see anything.

likely OEM from 2006. can I just replace the screen? have no interest in upgrading or having some whiz bang feature, just want to fix what I've got.

Multi line display BTW

whats going on with it?

Last edited by denverd1; 06-01-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-01-2017, 11:52 AM Reply   
Check your voltage on your batteries

I have the same year perfectpass on my supra and I fought this for awhile. Until I added a second stereo battery and an on board charger to make sure there top off after every outing. Alternators from back then just can't keep up.

I had the same exact symptoms and that fixed that part of it.

Now the only problem I have is with moister. It will cause the screen to go blank until it dries out. So if I leave it on the water and It rains a lot with my old cover. It will let to much water into the boat and the moister will mess up the screen until I dries out. Nothing you can do but buy a newer screen.

Did it rain between Saturday and Monday? Or did you charge your batteries?
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-01-2017, 12:34 PM Reply   
Is the screen powering up (making the beep sound). I had an intermittent issue with this on my boat and it ended up being a loose connection under the dash. Pretty basic and something you probably already looked for but just a thought because loose connection was away from the controller board and that had me stumped at first.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-01-2017, 12:53 PM Reply   
Yes, call PP you can buy just a gauge & one that works with your current configuration
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-01-2017, 1:01 PM Reply   
I have 2 batteries and isolate them. I may need to charge one, but PP should be on engine's +12v power right? I had 13 volts on that one.

no rain on it - I put it in the garage when it rained on sunday

It is powering up and stills works, screen works intermittently
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-01-2017, 1:28 PM Reply   
I had two batteries before too. But I ran them on 1+2 and after bumping the system while riding it would deplete both batteries just enough to effect perfect pass. Try charging both of them and see if it comes back.

Your systems are exactly what I dealt with.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-01-2017, 2:16 PM Reply   
thanks I'll throw the charger on em. need to do it anyway after the long weekend

I'm currently running perko on 1 using battery 2 as dedicated stereo. batt 1 (engine starting and access) showed 13 vts. I'll try it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-05-2017, 1:00 PM Reply   
accidentally left the key on when my gas dude came by. remembered it around noon on sunday. Voltage wouldn't register on dash or turn motor over. PP was lit up and ready to go!

still need to crawl under the dash, but think I've ruled out the low voltage idea
Old     (alcarlaw1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-06-2017, 12:57 AM Reply   
It appears to be quite usual for these displays to go out as you have described. Moisture ingress seems to get them. Generally when the boat comes out of winter storage the display is just fine, then after a few outings and especially if the cover has been on and you have a nice humid environment under the cover, the display goes out. The best solution is to replace the display. You may however want to try and remove and dry the display, before sealing it with a heat gun or similar to keep the moisture away....
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-06-2017, 8:53 AM Reply   
Thx. I'll check it out and see whats going on. I see no moisture in the screen, but that doesn't its not there.