Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-13-2017, 4:09 PM Reply   
This is a loaded question but we do a lot of waterskiing wakeboarding and surfing. Our boat is pushing 700 hours and it may be time to start looking. We currently have a 2007 wakesetter on a diamond hull with surf gates. The boat is great for skiing and surfing. Wakeboarding is mediocre. Absolutely love this boat but we average 100 hours a year.It's time to start looking. I want something similar as far as size and shape. I hear Malibu is not what it once was. So I'm not really brand specific. This Malibu has been good to me though. What do you guys recommend? I'm getting older and more frail so wakeboarding is not as much of a priority to me but my 6 and 8 year olds are getting more into wakeboarding.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-13-2017, 4:14 PM Reply   
Honestly, I'd say keep it and keep racking the hours. Most un-educated people out there will already consider it too high in hours. If you love the boat then keep it. At 6 & 8 your kids still have a ways to go before they may want bigger and better wakes.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       04-13-2017, 7:02 PM Reply   
Dave have a really good point. But it's still your decision.

For my personal choices I will give you my top3 and few simple reason why.
I don't know your budget but I ran into the same pattern you are last summer.
The best tip I can give you is : Go Demo every boat that interest you. The way the boat feel on the water in your hand is always the most important.

No3. super Air nautique.
Most of their boat are really well made. Everything's great, surf and wake. But they are pricy, too pricy to put them No1.
But I've got to say you pay a lot and you got a lot.

No2 i will go with MB sport.
They really got me surprised to see the boat quality and the wave it push!
A brand that compete with axis and Moomba. I wasn't expected too see that type of quality.
But MB compared to Malibu.. it's true that is not very the same category.

No1 for me it's Tigé.
some people here, if it's not most, probably gonna bash that and I don't really know why people on wake world hate Tigé that much, (maybe because originally wakeworld was a bu's forum and now everybody trying too show who piss the farther..) anyways.
Tigé just got that quality, that well thinking options and few little touch that every other brand seems to cut the corner.

But I primary surf. Not doing much wakeboard now. Maybe 80% surf, 10% ski and 10% wakeboard.
That's why I went Tigé. If my hobbies was different like wakeboard 80% pretty sure I will go Malibu again.

Surfgate 2014+ works great for wakeboard, really great with the ballast option. But surfing personally didn't turned me on.
And like you said it change a bit. These days I feel like Malibu is just to pricy for what you really got.
Axis even more. Great deception when I tried an A22 2016..

Moomba did Big progress since 2008 too. They are really in the game with very aggressive price.

You know in the end. Every boat have their pos and cons, just depend on your needs and your feelings!
Many brand I ain't said that are great too.

If you want real advices on Tigé go tigeowners.com

Last edited by Mike88; 04-13-2017 at 7:11 PM. Reason: Tapping
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-13-2017, 9:29 PM Reply   
I'm in agreement with Dave on this one. If you are happy with your boat then I say keep it and run it for a few more years. I don't know if you have done much shopping around, but the prices of boats have become outrageous. If your boat ski and surfs well and thats what you do primarily then it sounds like you are in a good spot. With how young your kids are, they will enjoy whatever you have as long as they get to be out on the water! Now once they hit their teens it may be a different story...
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-13-2017, 9:35 PM Reply   
Now I know I'm old. When I was a young man, a three sport boat was for slalom, tricks, and jumping.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-13-2017, 9:43 PM Reply   
700hrs is really nothing. These things will turn 1500-2000 easy before a rebuild if maintened well

With that said. To help you narrow things down what price range are you looking? For now I'll just go based on an unlimited budget and staying size wise in the 21ft category.
Top 3 Multisport boats out there imo based on strictly performance with an emphasis in this order of surf, wake ,ski in the 21ft range .... . With tweakable wakes for the kiddos.

1) 2014 - present Super Air Nautique 210
2)Mastercraft XT21
3)latest Mastercraft X10

20ft boats

1) GS20
2) Tie between Bu VTX and MC X2
4)Tige RZR /R20

Last edited by xstarrider; 04-13-2017 at 9:49 PM.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-13-2017, 9:46 PM Reply   
Double post sorry
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-14-2017, 3:39 AM Reply   
^ id put RZR over VTX/x2 based on my ownership and experience, but he'd have to step down in size to get that
Old     (JR_88)      Join Date: Jun 2015       04-14-2017, 5:48 AM Reply   
If you are a skier you're going to cross the SAN 210/230 off the list. They don't have a ski pylon and instead you are skiing off the tow hook. My primary enjoyment is skiing with the others far behind and the boats I'm looking at are the X-10/XT line, Nautique GS, and the Tige, I can't ever remember the Tige models that they claim to have a solid slalom wake. I'll be dropping my Moomba LSV after skiing behind a '00 230 Maristar my neighbor has. Skier's Choice is dropped from the list if you are after a nice slalom wake.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-14-2017, 2:52 PM Reply   
For me, I'd put them like (mixing 20 and 21)
1)XT20, and XT21
2)GS20
3)VTX 20

VTX is probably the best ski wake, but falls short in surfing/boarding in stock form..... new XTs are pretty darn good all around. Not the best at anything, but great blend.
Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-14-2017, 3:44 PM Reply   
What about the new vlx? Skiing is #1 then it's a toss up for wake boarding and surfing. It's got to be a v drive.
Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-14-2017, 3:55 PM Reply   
Not a fan of the looks on the xt.if the performance was miles better I could look past the lines. Has anyone skiied an mb? They have a ton of freeboard. Our 07 bu has 4 tanks plus 1500 in the lockers, manual wedge which I'm not sold on and fully automated surf gates. I think it's going to be very comparable to anything new. It just scares me with 700 hours. Religiously maintained. A new boat will probably start at 80k. I'm not sure I can have 80k more fun in a new boat. Damn I'm torn.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-14-2017, 5:19 PM Reply   
MB ski wake is terrible. Huge hard table. It's not a prostar or a response.
Old     (Bret)      Join Date: Nov 2013 Location: Santa Rosa, CA       04-14-2017, 5:29 PM Reply   
I would look for a Sanger v215 we have one and love it it's great for surfing and wake boarding and I bet its pretty good for water skiing.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-14-2017, 5:38 PM Reply   
XT performance will not be miles better. Those three will all be very close, with only minor performance differences. No experience with new VLX. Wouldn't be surprised if it skied pretty nice. MB will have a terrible ski wake, and not a good wakeboard wake for most (gotta run fast. 23+. And even then, it has a short steep transition. Some prefer that, but most don't. MB surf is right up there...... they are pretty good for that.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       04-15-2017, 5:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret View Post
I would look for a Sanger v215 we have one and love it it's great for surfing and wake boarding and I bet its pretty good for water skiing.
My cousin is a border and his wife is a really good single skier and she says she enjoys skiing behind the 215 they bought last summer a lot more then most v-drives . Of course she liked my 85 Malibu Skier the best .lol

BTW 800 meticulously maintained hours doesnt scare me a bit ..I say keep your boat and enjoy it .
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-15-2017, 7:18 AM Reply   
If you average 100 hours a year, keep your boat. With children 6 and 8 you could easily get them both in college before you need to rebuild your motor. If you must get a new boat , make sure you drive every boat you look at and ski,wakeboard and Surf behind each one.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-15-2017, 7:46 AM Reply   
-Supra SR
-Previous gen Supra SA (2013-2015)
-MasterCraft XT21
Old     (CPanner)      Join Date: May 2015       04-16-2017, 5:23 AM Reply   
Keep your current boat. Worst case scenario the engine piles up and costs you 5k. You're still 65k ahead of buying a new boat at that point.

If anything maybe spend some money on your current boat, get some sea deck, new stereo, and some extra ballast. It will feel like a new boat and you'll be way better off financially.
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       04-16-2017, 10:38 AM Reply   
700hours? Lol cmon man that's brand new. But...if you must keep up with the joneses then...
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       04-16-2017, 2:13 PM Reply   
Yup, just sold my '85 Nautique 2001 with 2900 hours running super strong. 700 are baby-numbers.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-17-2017, 6:31 AM Reply   
Is the diamond hull VLX destined to have a crappy wake? seems like you could improve that aspect and have a great all around boat. New boats are great, but if aint broke....
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-29-2017, 9:37 AM Reply   
sounds like an excuse to buy a new boat. if that works on the wife go for it. like others have stated 700 hours is nothing. you have another 13 years of use out of that engine. I just sold my nautique with 1900 hours. compression was great in all cylinders and ran perfectly. However I used that same excuse to buy a new boat last week !
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       04-29-2017, 8:33 PM Reply   
Centurion RI...in my opinion the best all around boats out there and what I will be upgrading to next year. Have a 2014 SV244 now and love it.
Tige.. Z3..RZ2 or RZ3. Very close 2nd in my opinion. Great motors, great vinyl and at least near me, the best dealer hands down.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-30-2017, 1:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitysurf View Post
Centurion RI...in my opinion the best all around boats out there and what I will be upgrading to next year. Have a 2014 SV244 now and love it.
Tige.. Z3..RZ2 or RZ3. Very close 2nd in my opinion. Great motors, great vinyl and at least near me, the best dealer hands down.

All great boats, Surf being the priority. The ski wakes will however be god awful.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-30-2017, 5:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitysurf View Post
maybe for surfing, but I don't think anyone is wakeboarding or skiing at any sort of high level behind either of those