Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       03-09-2016, 5:20 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I'm just wondering what's the difference between a sport nautique and a ski nautique? Years 1991-1998... Is the wake different? The seating? Or just the name? Lol what's the difference. Also which on would be a better wake for wakeboarding? Thanks!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-09-2016, 7:19 PM Reply   
The sport is 1.5 longer. The hulls aren't dramatically different, but the spot will shine with a little weight in it. A 95-97 sport with a GT40 is about as good as you can get in a small direct drive IMO.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       03-09-2016, 7:56 PM Reply   
The good sport nautiques are 93+. The sports below that are a different hull and they had wooden stringers.
93-97 hull is good
In 98 they changed it a little. it's good as well, until they made the pro air nautique which they didn't keep for very long. The air nautique's are basically a sport nautique with added options (ballast, tower, etc)

Nautique also made the ski nautique with an open bow version (Ski Nautique OB). They have a little less room as the sport has a walkway to the bow vs the climb over the windshield. The sport hull is closest to the Super Air Nautique (210) and should make a very similar wake.

You will feel the sport nautique is bigger, because the sport has a walk way to the bow and is longer. The ski hull looks to be slightly different
Old     (alcarlaw1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-10-2016, 2:37 PM Reply   
The 93-97 sport shares the same hull as the SAN so if you weigh it correctly, you'll get the same great wake. Just be prepared to get creative with hiding lead around the boat. I was able to place around 500-600lbs of lead out of sight - beside the fuel tank and under the rear seats. I changed to an xstar as climbing over fat sacs lying on the floor got tedious and as we have kids in the boat, it wasn't really an option.
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-12-2016, 6:02 PM Reply   
I have owned a 95 sport nautique and a 94 ski nautique (closed bow). The ski nautique is 19'6 the sport was 21'. The wakes are similar for wakeboarding and really do best with all additional weight to be back weight - front weight I found causes a nasty trough. I honestly like the ski nautique wake better for everything (except for surfing the goofy wave is not very good which is weird because the sport had a better goofy wave).
Old     (Riley212)      Join Date: May 2015       03-12-2016, 9:56 PM Reply   
93 and up sport nautique is the same weted surface as the super sport and SAN. put about 2000 lbs of ballast in it for a nice big wake.

the 90's ski nautiiques will never make a big wake, they do make a wake, but it doesn't get big like the sport//supersport/SAN. the 82-89 ski nautiqes are a mini version of the sport and put out a great wake

Last edited by Riley212; 03-12-2016 at 9:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       03-15-2016, 8:29 PM Reply   
If this boat doesn't have a tower, how hard is it to put one on it? What price am I lookin at as well?
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       03-16-2016, 7:56 AM Reply   
It's not terribly difficult. It's essentially doing some deck reinforcement, drilling some holes, and bolting it up. Cost wise depends on what you go with. You can get a lot of universals for under $1k. Or you could go with a custom fit which will typically put you in the 2-3k range. Most would recommend a new dimension FCT2 for the nautiques, as it was the factory tower for a good chunk of time, and they make them custom for the various nautiques up through 01/02. They're listed ~$2k right now.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-16-2016, 8:05 AM Reply   
Tower is a breeze to install if you're mechanically inclined at all. 2 person job minimum. Best tower at the moment for that boat in my eyes, Roswell Aviator. Little more in pricey side, but well worth the money in ease and style. Other options, new dimensions( factory Nautique style), and best value Monster. Range will be 1200-3500. Putting on a cheap tower can kill a boat. Spend your money now and it will help you in the long run.

Here is a great video of the Roswell
https://youtu.be/f5R1MxhGVuQ

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 3851
Size:  125.8 KB
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-16-2016, 8:16 AM Reply   
^agreed. don't stick a cheapo on a nautique. that one looks good.
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       03-16-2016, 9:52 AM Reply   
what do you guys think of this one??

http://www.h2osportswarehouse.com/v/...reeride-pa.asp
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       03-16-2016, 11:49 AM Reply   
Personally, I think that aerial looks goofy (too tall) on 95% of the boats its put on. When you can do a side versus deck mount with it, it looks a little better. Did you look through the gallery for that tower? There's a few nautiques of different vintages in there, and I can't say I like it on any of them, but to each their own. I'm a little old school and always liked the look of 4-point towers, with the exception of the s-bend towers like the aviator above. I think they look bad ass.

I don't know on Aerial's free-ride, but of the towers I've seen from them in the past, a lot were pretty shaky and creaky. I haven't touched one in a few years though, so that could have improved.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-16-2016, 7:39 PM Reply   
I have yet to see a boat I like that Ariel free ride tower on.