Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Dbismyname)      Join Date: Jan 2015       02-01-2015, 11:11 AM Reply   
I picked up a monster mt1 with two racks off a guy for a steal. The tower was never installed on the boat the guy bought it for. However he had started the install process and drilled the rear swivels to set them at 90". I'm going to need them at 75" for my boat.

So my question is for those with monster tower experience. Has anyone pulled the bolts out and redrilled the rear swivels? Or has anyone had the rear swivels welded once they got them set for their boat? I have a good relationship with a local welder and they've welded aluminum for me before. Any ideas are appreciated.
Old     (Dbismyname)      Join Date: Jan 2015       02-04-2015, 6:59 PM Reply   
Well if there's no direct experience... Anyone see any possible issues with welding these joints? I know there's some engineer types around here. These joints are made to have bolts drilled in to lock them in place. Would welding them solid cause any weaknesses anywhere else in the structure? Absolutely any advice is appreciated.
Old     (alcarlaw1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-05-2015, 12:52 AM Reply   
why don't you get the swivel mount holes welded up then drill afresh. Alternatively drill a new set of holes in a different location, thus no need to weld. Upload pictures if you can and you'll get more feedback.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-06-2015, 10:15 AM Reply   
Agreed, pictures would help. Welding might cause issues with the ability to fold the tower, is there not space to drill a different hole?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-06-2015, 10:41 AM Reply   
I doubt that welding would cause any structural weakness. Actually, it sounds like it's overkill for the application.
Old     (Dbismyname)      Join Date: Jan 2015       02-07-2015, 9:36 AM Reply   

Don't know if you can tell but he drilled one bolt in from each side, looks like he didn't fully drill through and instead just threaded in a stud with a nylock nut. I guess I could remove these, adjust the legs, then redrill in new spots but I'd be worried I'd either partially hit the existing holes or be so close to them that they'd be weak.

My thought was to adjust them, drill one hole and bolt them in place. Then have them welded around the seam.
Old     (SCfan)      Join Date: Mar 2014       02-07-2015, 2:27 PM Reply   
I have installed literally dozens of these towers. However it was always new out of the box. I do not see any problem with removing the bolts, setting the right distance, re drilling, then welding. Just make sure not to weld where the joint swivels in the tube of the center bar.
Old     (alcarlaw1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-08-2015, 12:06 AM Reply   
Simple, get the holes welded and start aftresh, or buy new swivels from Monster Tower.