Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-07-2014, 11:17 AM Reply   
Is it worth the hundred bucks? Getting some christmas ideas together. Can't decide which one i want, Hell i'd prob be happy with a 2 or 3 silver edition. Just figured i'd ask opinions.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-07-2014, 11:31 AM Reply   
Well, I got my 3+ black edition a couple months ago.

I really like having the wifi remote control for use on the boat. I mount the gopro and someone controls the video with the remote. that's works really well. Yes, you can technically do the same with the app and even get a viewfinder, but I find the connectivity with the app to be sketchy and it draws more battery power. I really like putting the gopro on my telescoping pole and getting shots using the remote control to capture.

That said, I think that the touchscreen on the silver would be really damn cool. Sometimes it's nice to be able to see things immediately or to frame up shots. Of course, all that would have to happen with the case off, so I think that the screen would really be best for still shots. or reviewing shots afterwards.

I don't think I'd use the features of the 4 black. The increased frame rate is certainly bad ass, but I don't find myself with the motivation to do slow motion, much less ANY editing! I'm kinda lazy and just puke my raw videos up on youtube.

Crazy how fast technology moves...
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-07-2014, 11:36 AM Reply   
So, I guess if it was me, I would go with a 4 silver and then add on the wifi remote.

Or you can buy my 3+ and I'll get myself the 4 silver! haha.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       10-07-2014, 12:01 PM Reply   
I'm more than content with the HERO4 Silver Edition. This thing is awesome. Can't wait to take some video with it!
GoPro HERO4. Night mode. by Bucky Images, on Flickr
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-07-2014, 12:08 PM Reply   
Trayson how much for your 3?
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-07-2014, 1:00 PM Reply   
The higher frame rates/resolutions are worth it for action sports type filming.. whether or not that fits your needs is up to you.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-08-2014, 7:37 AM Reply   
Just hit up your local pro, they all seem to get them for free in the mail
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-08-2014, 8:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerbilly View Post
Trayson how much for your 3?
So, I have the 3+ black edition, which was top of the line until a week ago. It has the wifi remote (which is awesome for on the boat) and does the higher resolution and frame rates (4Kp15, 2.7Kp30, 1440p48, 1080p60, 960p100 and 720p120 fps). It also has the "superview" where you can record in widescreen where it does a little stretch on the outside edges of the frame instead of cropping the 4:3 to make it 16:9. It's a really cool effect because I'd rather have a little edge stretch than lose info from cropping... (makes it so you get the full height when recording).

They were going for $400 pretty much everywhere a couple months ago. Best buy has since dropped them to $350 now that the new ones are out. I'd let mine go for $300, but I'd need to get a replacement in my hands before I let this one go.

I will include an extra battery and a combo car/wall charger to sweeten the deal.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-08-2014, 10:19 AM Reply   
I think I'll take it sir PM me for payment and shipping details.