Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-30-2008, 4:12 PM Reply   
Does wakesurfing use more or less fuel than wakeboarding? In one thread here someone seemed to imply that wakesurfing would use more. I had thought it wouldn't because of the slower speed, but maybe it would since the boat is not planing.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-30-2008, 4:18 PM Reply   
It's been my experience that it burns more fuel yes you're going slower but the engine is working hard with all the weight.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-30-2008, 4:18 PM Reply   
Slower speed does play a part in fuel consumption, but what cancels out the fuel saving is all the extra ballast thats needed if you are surfing a nice sized wave. That puts more load on the motor, thus requiring the motor to burn more fuel. As for how much more, I really couldnt say for sure. I'm guessing it will vary by boat and ballast. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

(Message edited by bac on November 30, 2008)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-30-2008, 4:25 PM Reply   
My experience says the difference is small. We certainly use less throttle, but that an RPM demand, not a fuel demand input.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-30-2008, 4:30 PM Reply   
In my Tige, I burn about 1.5 gals p/hr LESS when wakesurfing over boarding.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-30-2008, 5:54 PM Reply   
Not sure about wakeboarding but in my boat I definitely use more fuel tubing(20-25 mph) than wakesurfing.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-30-2008, 9:26 PM Reply   
Wake surfing eats gas behind all boats that I have been behind, in my malibu it definitely consumes almost 2 more gph.
Old     (vfalco)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-01-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
Our X15 was way better on gas surfing rather than wakeboarding.
Pulling wakeboarders I swear I could see the needle moving, and a full tank lasts about 4 hours of actual pulling riders.
We could go all day surfing.
Old     (kernaltao)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-01-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
I haven't measured the consumption, but it seems that we burn less gas surfing than wakeboarding. If we just surf, we can go all day on a half tank of gas. If we surf and wakeboard (we never just wakeboard all day), we definitely have less fuel in the tank at the end of the day. Again, this is just my recollection; no hard facts. It's a 2007 Bu VLX with the Monsoon w/ EXT/CAT.
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-01-2008, 2:13 PM Reply   
My experience is that I burn more fuel wakesurfing.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-01-2008, 3:05 PM Reply   
we wakeboard at a higher rpm, i dont see how anyone could wakeboard at a lesser Rpm than surfing, there is only 1 speed in a boat (barring some MB's) so 24 mph > 12 mph using about the same weight.... plus the startup is far easier on the motor than wakeboarding
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-01-2008, 4:50 PM Reply   
Does it really matter?
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       12-01-2008, 4:53 PM Reply   
I'm just curious - I want to know what to expect. And yes, if there was a big difference then it would definitely matter when gas prices inevitably skyrocket.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-01-2008, 5:56 PM Reply   
Nick- you don't need to neccessarily punch it out of the hole when wakeboarding, some just choose to do it. But, 12 mph not on plane is very inefficient compared to 24 mph which although does put the engine to more work, it is not pushing against quite as much resistance.
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-01-2008, 6:34 PM Reply   
First off, I didn't mean to come across in a negative fashion. Gas prices really haven't affected me and my riding or deciding whether or not we're going wakesurfing. When it's flat (the ocean) we go wakesurfing. I've got plenty of friends that put money up for gas. If not, no worries on my part. We still go. I just want to go surf. Personally, surfing is such a major part of my life that I will gladly eat a little less, spend a little less on other luxuries just to be able to surf. My wife understands how important surfing is to me. Surfing is my true passion. I work so I am able to go surfing. Wakesurfing for me and my friends is simply a diversion from the flatness that we have during the summer months. We session at least weekly during the summer. Even when gas was hovering around 4 dollars a gallon, we still went several times. But, I've never looked down to see actually how much fuel I'm burning. We usually ride for three or four hours. We always fill up right after our outing.
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       12-01-2008, 6:39 PM Reply   
No negativity taken, Matt. I figured you just meant the gas price wasn't gonna stop your activities either way. I've just never been in a boat that could do wakesurfing, but hopefully I will have one for next season, so I'm interested in learning all about it.
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-01-2008, 7:00 PM Reply   
If it's any help I've got a Centurion Enzo. Great boat for surfing. We surf 90% of the time. Once you get your boat dialed in (and this is the place to do it) you will be hooked. I'm not real sure how our gas mileage is for wakeboarding. I really don't ever pay attention. This summer it would cost us about 80 bucks to fill it up. That's what it seemed like we put in after we got out of the water. And we would seriously ride for 3 hours in the afternoon. Sometimes more if we all got out of work early enough.
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-01-2008, 7:19 PM Reply   
nick,

I can see your argument if you are carrying the same weight, however I use 800 lbs to wakeskate at 21 MPH vs wakesurfing at 9.8 MPH with 2300 lbs and never getting on plane. Also the start up is much harder on my boat with the extra weight for surfing.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-01-2008, 7:41 PM Reply   
So to answer the question yes, no, maybe so
Old     (moonshine)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-02-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   
I know on our boat we save a lot on gas Wake Surfing... We can go out for the whole day and don't have to worry about gas. When we Wakeboard we can only go for a half day. I mainly think it is b/c when you wakeboard you have to get your boat up to plane. All in all if you want to save money Wakesurf...
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-02-2008, 11:34 PM Reply   
my best estimate is on my nautie 211 is less for wakesurfing. i would venture to guess this is due the boat runs at a lower rpm and is out of the hole pretty quickly.
Old     (flatcher)      Join Date: Feb 2008       12-03-2008, 10:54 AM Reply   
We use about 30-40% less surfing