Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-10-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
hi, so my son (7) wants to start durfing on his own, but our 5'6 board is way to big on him.. he DOES have a skim board sitting in the garage.. so my question is can you put fins on the board to make it surfable for him, and if so, what kind of fins should I use?
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-10-2009, 12:57 PM Reply   
I've seen it done before. Your best bet is a wakeboard fin. Don't think you can find them much bigger than 1" but that should work. Another thing I just thought about would be to try and find a set of fins for a HL Broadcast. they have some decent size and attach like a wakeboard fin.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-10-2009, 1:10 PM Reply   
I know it is not a skim board, but I have seen a few smaller kids learning on a O'Brien Jimmy Jam. They are suppose to be a lot more stable. The progression for one of my friends younger boys (now 6) was starting on stomach, then knees, then feet. For the kids that are not strong enough to hold/get up on a rope, you can attach the rope to the board through a ring on the nose.

Going to buy one off of Ebay this winter for my 4 year old.

https://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=12669&pdesc=OBrien_Jimmy_Jam_Wakesur f_Trainer&cname=Wakeskates-Wakesurfers&aID=2E&merchID=1009&r=view

(Message edited by LakeSurfer on September 10, 2009)
Old     (moonshine)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-10-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
Standard wakeboard fin 1 in.-2.5 in.
Old    surfdad            09-10-2009, 4:18 PM Reply   
I've done this before, fairly easy to acomplish, but I'll share with you what I learned through trial an error. Some of the wakeskate fins have more depth and a nicer shape than the long low wakeboard fins. Although I liked the Liquid Force 1.5 WS fin.

http://www.the-house.com/wk8lfsktc156zzliquidforcefins.html

Most of these fins have three drilled and tapped 1/4" x 20 holes. LF uses two of the three holes for thru bolts, while the other manufactures use 1 thru bolt and two studs that are sunk into a small indent in the board.

Even with a drill press, three holes are tougher to align than two. :-) As is stopping the depth for the plugs. Using masking tape, tape the top and bottom to avoid any splintering of wood, foam or resin and to draw on without messing up the graphics on the bottom. Measure the two holes on the bottom and align them with a centerline measured tail to nose. Just draw that on the masking tape. Once your holes are marked, drill through and like I say, go with 2 and not the 1 thru and two NOT thru and 1 thru. :-)

Remove the tape.

Seal the inside of the holes with a good quality epoxy, making sure that your 1/4" - 20's still slide thru. I wrapped my screws with a small piece of polyethelene and left them in while the epoxy cured for a perfect fit that pulled right out.

Viola, a wakesurfer. :-)

Good luck! It would be great if you'd post up pictures of the modification.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-10-2009, 5:21 PM Reply   
I've done it before. The CWB fins seem to work pretty good. They have two pins that you have to just barely drill into the board and then one screw that goes all the way through. I just robbed them off of my old board that is no longer used. My buddy got this from a sporting goods store for like $20 on clearance and then we added some traction that I got off of WhiskeyMilitia.com for $10. It's fun to screw around on.

Upload
Upload
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-10-2009, 6:07 PM Reply   
When he's ready for a big kid board, my 6 and 11 year old both love their new phase5 scamp (up to 80lbs). They both can flip it and ride. Little guy is still throwing the rope. It's a bit squirly with only the 1" fin for him but he skateboard and rip sticks so it's more of just getting him out there more often.

The board was only $200 and when they out grow it I'm sure it'll still be worth half that.

We messed around on a 3'10" skim and it was fun but too small to freeride for adults.
Old     (grindwater_matty)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-10-2009, 7:25 PM Reply   
maybe you should check out the Grindwater line up we make a 4'8" board ( SLAYSH ) Its a ripper go to www.Grindwater.com\2010 the pics on there are not the best but all that will be changed soon.Upload
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-10-2009, 8:09 PM Reply   
Meet me at Vics and I'll let your kid try out my daughters grom.

lol

j/k
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-11-2009, 5:10 AM Reply   
Matt: his son is 7yrs old. The board you are promoting is bigger than my JWSM and I'm in my 30's. I don't see a chance of a 50lb kid being able to sink and flip that board. Keep the spam down please (I do like the look of the board though).

Timmy: that modded skim looks fun and stable for the little ones. Thanks for the tip
Old     (grindwater_matty)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-11-2009, 9:52 AM Reply   
Joe my daughter is 9 and is 65 lbs and rides the hell out of the slaysh.
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-11-2009, 11:55 AM Reply   
You're still breaking the rules matt. So stop.