Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (collin)      Join Date: May 2002       06-22-2009, 8:49 PM Reply   
I am new to wakesurfing. We only have been doing it a couple times. I'm a big guy, 6'4 275 and I'm using a Landlock. We have a really good wake going but no matter what I do I cant surf on my own. Every time I try and let slack in the line I just drift away from the boat. If I lean too far forward the board goes under. Any suggestions?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       06-22-2009, 9:28 PM Reply   
Board is probably not big enough for your weight. I am your weight and I started on a 6'2" board. As I got better I was able to ride smaller boards 5'.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-22-2009, 10:03 PM Reply   
Collin, while that board is long it isn't buoyant or fast. I'm 245 and my daughter is 55lbs and I can ride my The Walker Project comp 5.0 with both of us on it. I've also seen a pic of Tim Whites brother in law whom also weighed 275lbs riding the same board.

Here is a link to it.

TWP Composite X
Old     (collin)      Join Date: May 2002       06-23-2009, 6:24 AM Reply   
looking at pics from another thread could I be standing too far back? My back foot is all the way back on the black pad.
Old     (moonshine)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-23-2009, 8:26 AM Reply   
Get a new board. Stay away from "HyperForce" any of the small company's will have a board for you...
Old     (ggrissom)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-24-2009, 9:52 AM Reply   
I think... For your riding level, your "hyperforce" - i.e. Big Corporate board is fine, it's designed for heavier, beginning riders.
It may have more to do with where you are riding the wake. If you are too low, you will not have enough wave to maintain forward motion regardless of how big the wake is. Try putting a little more weight on your toes and riding a little higher on the wake. Finding the sweet spot is tough but once you feel it, then every time you ride it will get better. It won't happen all in one session.

If you can put your weight far enough forward to plow the nose, you are not standing too far back.
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-24-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
Collin,
Move that rear foot forward and the board will have more speed, concentrate on pushing on the front foot to accelerate or go down the wave and the back to slow down or move up the wave. We've got 250+ pounders on the same board and some can surf ropeless some can't
Old     (oldwakedude)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-24-2009, 7:15 PM Reply   
Collin - not sure what you are calling a really good wake, but size does matter here. I have an Enzo 230 with an Enzo sack and with my landlock I find going 13mph is too fast, at 10.5 it is much easier to hold the wave. I also tend to stand much further forward on it, I can actually easily surf standing in the middle to front of the board. I also have a small Walker bullet (I think 54") that is a lot easier to surf than the landlock. But you still have to steer the board and stay in the pocket or you are going to drop out. Keep at it and you'll get it, your size is not an issue, with the right board and technique "you can do it"!
Old     (oldwakedude)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-24-2009, 7:21 PM Reply   
Collin - check this one out, keep it up and this could be you (he is on a walker bullet, albeit a bit larger than mine)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic5yyNMJllc
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       06-24-2009, 8:03 PM Reply   
Hey Oldwakedude,
Thanks for the props ( that is me in the video) Yes my Walker Bullet is 5'3". I have done 360's on a 5' Comp X as well.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-24-2009, 10:18 PM Reply   
The landlock can take a heavy rider, but you are definitely pushing it. One thing to try, is move your feet foward on the board more, as much as 6 inches to a foot, you have to get that nose down to "catch" the wave. I have used the landlock to teach many people, and I have noticed, that when someone who is heavier rides, the nose is up in the air, and they can't get the wave to push them, or catch the wave. I usually have those people move more forward on the board than I would have anyone else ride, and it many times solves the problem.

Anyway, I had some footage of a couple of bigger dudes on the landlock behind my boat, so I put something up for you. May help.

http://wake9.com/blogs/how-to-wakesurf-101/2009/06/24/quick-help-big-guys-wakesurfing-on-the-landlock/

I just posted the video, may take a few minutes for YT to process.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       06-25-2009, 6:42 AM Reply   
Collin--- I an 289 pounds and I use a Inland surfer blue. It is a great board for big, small, beginner or advanced. you should try one.
Old     (collin)      Join Date: May 2002       06-25-2009, 11:11 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tips! Looking at the videos my feet are back farther so I will try and scoot forward. If that doesn't work I will start looking for another board
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-25-2009, 1:06 PM Reply   
^^^ Do the latter part of that anyway.