Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-09-2008, 11:35 PM Reply   
so i was surfing shasta last weekend and for anyone who has been out there its nuts, so there were a ton of massive rollers coming so i told my buddy to throw the handle to me bc i knew id fall out.... bad idea. i missed the handle bc of a bad throw, the handle bounced of my buddies massive 23 lsv wake and right around my body, man it was wraped and it pulled me over.. i fell into the line and completly wrapped up around my right shoulder, chest and and left knee in a seated position, it pulled me under and of course it takes a while for the driver to realize what happend, as my butt is under the water for a while being dragged,.... simply put throwing the line in is not a good idea bc if it went around my neck which was close, i would be done for.... do me a favor just fall out of the wave.
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-10-2008, 7:08 AM Reply   
scary story! glad you are ok.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-10-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
im cool it was just a lesson learned, and i thought it might be an important won to post since im sure people throw the line in all the time. thank you for the concern:-)
Old     (stick)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-10-2008, 8:21 AM Reply   
Last weekend we had the rope wrap around one of the guys arm. He received a massive rope burn that might be there awhile. It could have been much worse. I am ready to set the rule of not allowing the rope to be thrown back.
Glad to know everything turned out okay for you.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-10-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
Glad you're ok. Its definitely no fun to get caught in the rope.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-10-2008, 2:01 PM Reply   
my friends and i agreed on that rule.lol
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-10-2008, 9:51 PM Reply   
I'm a little confused. Were you surfing and someone in the boat threw the rope back out to you after you had already thrown it in the boat? Thanks for the clarification.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-10-2008, 10:49 PM Reply   
yeah i was riding for a good while without the handle and the line was tossed back out to me bc of the massive rollers comming.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-11-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
what about the surfer dropping the rope and letting it drag at their feet? I know some people throw it to the opposite wake, but it is nice to be able and recover...
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-11-2008, 12:59 PM Reply   
throwing it to the opisite side is cool, i dont think the rope even has a chance to bounce up and get you.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-11-2008, 1:09 PM Reply   
I don't surf with a handle anymore after a friend of mine had my handle rip thru her armpit and left her with a dinner plate sized bruise. I cut the handle off of an old fat braided ski handle, and just hold onto the braids. It works great for everyone except wimps, and I've never had a scary moment with it in 6 or 7 seasons.

This wouldn't help if it wraps around your arm, but definitely eliminates a lot of the danger. I have also stepped into a handle during a fall, it went all the way up to my thigh, and flipped me over violently after I went down. Not fun.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-11-2008, 1:33 PM Reply   
Handles through the arm pit hurt! I fell on forward once and caught the rope in my arm pit, all I can say is never use a rope with a T handle. I will never forget how bad that hurt when it hit me. Braided or knotted rope is the safest way IMO}}
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-11-2008, 2:03 PM Reply   
with the thick knotted ropes we just throw to opposite side. they are quite heavy and pretty much stay in place.

i just noticed with the lighter one we recently picked up that if we just threw it to opposite side that the rope started to get a bit jacked up from all the twisting and bouncing... so now we just throw into the boat always.

i've seen guys let the heavier ropes drag at their feet (and have to say i've been guilty once or twice), but if you are doing more than posing with a beer i think it just gets in the way anyway, plus enhances the chance of wrapping or catching your leg or arm. IMO - not a good idea
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-11-2008, 2:28 PM Reply   
Is this the type of rope most people are using?

http://www.wakeside.com/product/wakeboard_gear/more_gear/wakeboard_handles_lines/proline+super+d+wakeboard+handle+combo+2008.do#
Old     (goofrthanu)      Join Date: May 2008       07-11-2008, 2:29 PM Reply   
We do not use a handle...rigged up a different way before we started to surf regularly. In addition to knots only, a small tee-bar at the end poses limited threat. Oh, except for the threat of dinging James Walkers' competition board when throwing into the boat. Yes, that happened but not by me.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-11-2008, 3:07 PM Reply   
We have used a knotted rope with a soft foam grip on the end with no handle now for two years. When I bought it I was told not to use a handle because you may fall and arm go through the handle and you can have serious injuries. The rope works great however I find myself needing gloves sometimes or maybe I am just a wimp? Two years of surfing every weekend and no problems yet. One slight injury is when I threw the rope in and it hit someone in the face...... ooops.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-11-2008, 3:30 PM Reply   
The handle isn't the dangerous part. It's falling into a loop in the line that's causing injuries.

IMO the best thing we can do to prevent injuries is stop allowing riders to "pull" themselves up into the pocket (and loop the excess rope). I've noticed this to be a natural tenancy when learning
Old     (moonshine)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-12-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
When you throw the rope into the boat keep it there. If you cant surf through the rollers than just fall. Try to go through the rough water. It will make you a better surfer. Why risk getting tangled up in the line...
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-12-2008, 11:06 AM Reply   
thank you david
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-12-2008, 9:23 PM Reply   
We have 2, I can only find one of them online and it's a different color:
http://ridecwb.com/index.php?mod=ropes&id_prd=120

The other one we have is pretty thick and heavy for double the length of knots, actually hurts if hits you when the boat comes back to get ya. It's a thick orange rope.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-13-2008, 12:36 AM Reply   
ditto what David says
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-14-2008, 9:24 AM Reply   
How can you get to the pocket without pulling yourself up the rope??????
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-14-2008, 9:34 AM Reply   
Hey Mikey, its just like when you are starting to fall out the back, you need to pump your board to get back into the pocket. It can take a little practice