Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bp909)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-16-2008, 12:46 PM Reply   
For you WakeSurfers, I have gotten word from
a fellow boarder that the wake is improved
dramatically by removing the back swim deck.
This definitely makes it more dangerous, however
The prop is still under the boat. Point is that when
the deck is removed on say a Supra for WakeSurfing,
the wake is cleaner and does not have turbulence related
to the drag the swim deck creates.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-16-2008, 12:56 PM Reply   
humm for me it seem a bit too dangerous only to have a small increased, i prefect stay safe and keep my feets than never board again !
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-16-2008, 1:00 PM Reply   
uh.....that's like asking for death.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-16-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
the things people do in search for the perfect wave
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-16-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
I think maybe modding the deck to make it a little higher and shorter to keep it out of the water would be 100% safer and get the same effect.
Old     (bp909)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-16-2008, 1:21 PM Reply   
I am in favor of adding a spacer to re-mount
the deck. Even with deck removed you will not
hit the prop. Wakesurfing is a waste of time in my
mind, but for those who choose to spend their
day leaning and waiting for the boat not to plane
is up to them.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-16-2008, 1:34 PM Reply   
hummm then if you dont care why you post to share something about it ?
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-16-2008, 1:42 PM Reply   
For the serious surfers, I'm not, but I could imagine modding the platform by tapering the corner on the surf side to minimize the turbulence while maintaining a good margin of safety. Of course you will have to be happy looking at an asymetrical platform.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-16-2008, 1:49 PM Reply   
raising the platform a few inches is good idea. the step wasn't designed to sit at or below the surface. Reverse and stray rollers puts pressure upward on the platform, then slams it back down when the roller passes.

seems like this would keep it safe and help the wave without risking your limbs. and keep your step orig.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-16-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/articles/2003/transom.asp
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-16-2008, 4:37 PM Reply   
I do have an older MB mind you but at surfing speeds no water is even touching my swim platform. It's well enough out of the water. You must really have your boats loaded.
Old    mobster            06-16-2008, 5:24 PM Reply   
The swim deck helps brake up the CO. fumes behind the boat It took a long time for some states to allow us wake surf do not take off your swim deck and risk yourself or anyone surf behind a boat without one This is a no brainer
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-16-2008, 5:35 PM Reply   
Maybe someone could make a swim step with folding corners, like both corners are on hinges and you flip whatever side you want up and it latches to the sun deck or something.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       06-16-2008, 6:11 PM Reply   
i've pulled mine on our elite v for while. I noticed no inceased fumes, and i didnt't feel in danger because the prop is still 2' back from the transom.
While there was less wash on the wave i could not say that the wave surfed any better. My plan was just to cut the corner off the swim deak (teak). I onlt appeard that the last few inches where draging in the water. Boarding the boat from the water with out a step is a pain so the platform didnt stay off for long.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-16-2008, 6:34 PM Reply   
On my old boat the deck interfered with the wake. Not on my new boat. I doubt that the deck does much to mitigate CO. CDC reports that I've read indicate that the CO level 5 foot back and 5 feet off the surface behind the boat is low anyway. Side Swipe and FAE further reduce exposure.
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-16-2008, 10:02 PM Reply   
I was thinking about this very thing this weekend while surfing and noticed that our deck doesnt get in the way at all. I guess this goofy shape is good for something.

Upload
Old     (lsg)      Join Date: May 2008       06-17-2008, 1:58 AM Reply   
Do you have any pictures of the wave behind your wakecraft boat?
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-17-2008, 8:56 AM Reply   
Loren I don't have any pictures of it with any serious weight. We'll probably get some this summer though.
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-17-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
I noticed on my 06 MB the corners of the swim deck cut into the wake and seemed to add to a double lip on the wake making it not look as clean as I'd like. It was one of the reasons I traded up to a new MB because they rounded the corners of the deck. Took out the new one last week and couldn't believe the difference in the wake. I thought the wake was good before. IMO the improvement has to do with a combination of the rounded swim deck and a slight change in the hull made last year.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       06-17-2008, 7:10 PM Reply   
couldn't you put a hinge on you plat form between the brackets and the platform that would allow it to hinge upward like a trunk lid that way while surfing it would simply stay on top of the water instead of digging in to it?
Old     (moonshine)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-18-2008, 9:59 AM Reply   
As soon as you receive your first ticket you will put your swim platform back on.
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       06-20-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
Why would you get a ticket for not having a swim platform on?
Old     (zapisor)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-22-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
Interesting,

A guy could probally fabricate a teak one in any shape or size they wanted for a couple of hundred bucks
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-02-2008, 2:32 PM Reply   
Ummmm what does the "B" stand for in GrandmasterB. Does it rhyme with tater?
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-02-2008, 6:49 PM Reply   
I tryed it on a couple of boats. and i ended up sick for three days its not worth it,and if you fall theres nothing stoping you. you can go into the wakeplate or the back of the boat I ride alot and have alot of control back there but if someone trys it and gets really hurt. wakesurfing will look bad ,and it could get bained,also without the swim deck you could pass out. so be smart or you will mess it up for everyone. D J JamesZ
Old     (firemedic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-09-2008, 4:46 PM Reply   
You could leave it in place or get one of these.....Upload
Old     (ds3)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-09-2008, 5:37 PM Reply   
That's just not right, wow. Terrible.
Old     (jamieb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-11-2008, 12:00 AM Reply   
wow. uncalled for.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-11-2008, 1:46 AM Reply   
not cool Erick
Old     (firemedic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-11-2008, 6:19 AM Reply   
Seriously though...This is an actual injury from trying to wakesurf behind an I/O...I understand the difference but the concept is still the same. Be removing the swim step, you are taking away any advantage that an inboard has for avoiding these types of injuries.

Personally I don't believe that the pursuit for the "perfect surf wake" is worth the risk.

Just my .02

Sorry if I grossed anyone out :-()