Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (nathanb)      Join Date: Jun 2013       12-28-2014, 6:23 PM Reply   
After 6 months off wakeboarding and going out both christmas and boxing day I realised how out of shape I am. On the plus side, the time off gave me time to rest my shoulder which I hurt wakeboarding a while back. What are some workouts that you guys are doing to stay in shape while off the water. I don't have time to do a lot, generally work around 60 hours a week at work plus I am growing another business and I have a wife and two children, aged 5 and 3 so I need something quick and effective
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       12-29-2014, 11:29 AM Reply   
This has been covered before but I'll chime in again. CrossFit is the best way to get/stay in shape for just about anything, including wakeboarding. It works everything involved, core, legs, grip strength, mobility, endurance, balance, coordination, etc. What's even better is it was designed to be done in your garage. You don't need a ton of equipment.

Prime example: Rusty Malinoski. He started doing CrossFit a few years ago and the dude has turned into a beast. He's always killed it when it came to riding but now he's lighter yet stronger than he's ever been, and arguably an even better rider than he was before. He started his own CrossFit gym in Florida so it's really turned into a hobby for him. You don't have to go that far with it. But it can be addictive.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-29-2014, 12:46 PM Reply   
Any paddle sport, SUP, kayak, prone is great low impact way to stay ready for the pull of the handle and something fun for the whole family. I see decent yaks on Craigslist all the time for $100.
Old     (steelrider68882)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-13-2015, 4:37 PM Reply   
Crossfit by far!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-13-2015, 5:30 PM Reply   
Hnnnnnng cross fit. I cannot ever condone a program that, in general, encourages poor form via a cult type atmosphere pushing you to do more than your own capabilities.

If you know how to lift weights, mix your intervals and cardio in, do large muscle group lifts and isolation and you will do just as well. It just takes more dedication because you don't have a crowd of 14 other people yelling at you to push harder.

and lift lots of legs, loooooots of legs....
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-13-2015, 6:12 PM Reply   
How old are you? I find as I get older my problem shifts more and more to lower back fatigue and pulling abdominal muscles, especially in crashes. It's not that my legs are getting stronger or more resilient, but instead my core is fading faster than my legs because I'm too busy with work and kids to get the same level of activity.

Since it sounds like you're pretty busy, it would be easy to focus to much on the theoretically best workout where you first need to make sure to find a convenient workout that you can make part of your busy lifestyle. Any kind of resistance training / weight lifting coupled with some kind of cardio... throw in a bunch of stuff to strengthen your core, and a lot of stretching. Jogging plus pushups and ab work is great because you can do it right from your back door - can even complete the pushups, abs, and stretching at home while watching tv with the family. Just make sure you do something at least 3, preferably 5 times a week.
Old     (nathanb)      Join Date: Jun 2013       01-13-2015, 6:58 PM Reply   
I'm 30 years old. The above suggestions sound good. Have some weights at home and young children who like to sit on my back while I do push ups and on my chest when i do crunches so I can work out and do the family thing lol.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-14-2015, 9:28 AM Reply   
Push ups aint gonna cut it, you need a lower back machine, along with a pull-up bar and if you don't have time for cardio, alternate between the two along with sit-ups and you should be able to get your heart rate into the target range for 20 minutes 3 or 4 times a week, this is a minimum.
Attached Images

Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-14-2015, 12:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Hnnnnnng cross fit. I cannot ever condone a program that, in general, encourages poor form via a cult type atmosphere pushing you to do more than your own capabilities.

If you know how to lift weights, mix your intervals and cardio in, do large muscle group lifts and isolation and you will do just as well. It just takes more dedication because you don't have a crowd of 14 other people yelling at you to push harder.

and lift lots of legs, loooooots of legs....
You mean it doesn't earn the simplej badge of approval? Must be bogus then. Guess I've been doing it all wrong. What with my poor form and all...

Seriously though, you're suggesting isolated lifts? I understand the jab at CF. Hell I joke about it all the time. But advocating isolated lifts is the dumbest advice ever. Might as well just get a shake-weight.

Anyone who says that in general CF promotes bad form or is "dangerous" hasn't been to a real CrossFit gym. Either b/c he/she is: 1. scared to (stupid reason since literally anyone can do it), 2. can't afford it (a somewhat legitimate excuse but it's like anything else: you get what you pay for), or 3. Read some sensationalist Yahoo news article quoting some bogus study about this "dangerous new fitness cult called CrossFit" full of warnings about rhabdo, bad form, and overtraining (those 3 things existed way before CF and CF causes none of those things).

Bottom line: do what works for you. But please don't do isolated movements. Those don't work for anyone wanting to gain real strength. Isolation is for body builders. Except in rare circumstances such as physical rehab.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       01-14-2015, 12:16 PM Reply   
1 million burpees and you should be good lol
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-14-2015, 1:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeko View Post
1 million burpees and you should be good lol
And a few hundred stripper deadlifts.

Or just do what this guy does: http://youtu.be/qnjYyfkcaNI
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-14-2015, 8:10 PM Reply   
Ohhh jeez here we go again.
Arent stripper deadlifts supposed to be one of the worst things you can do to your back?

Cross fit vs lifting round two.

Anyways during knee rehab I had an in depth conversation with my PT about crossfit and how BAD he thinks it is and the number of injuries he sees come in due to poor form and too much weight too soon. He did not have much nice to say about body building either, which goes without saying...

There is a huge difference between lifting like an athlete, mixing large muscle group exercises with isolated movements, and "crossfit" which is basically tarted up light weight cardio. If it works for you, great!! Keep doing those ever functional Kipling pull-ups. Everyone gets into it because it gets them off their arse and into the gym. Dom says it perfectly: cross fit is when working out is the goal instead of for a goal.

It's not hard to lift weights and focus on function over form, that is to say as an end goal. Yes even if you mix in isolation exercises.
One great example of an isolation very functional to wakeboarding would be forearm exercises to enhance grip strength, stop popping those handles.
One large muscle group/compound lift would be dead lifts to build core, back, and most importantly hamstring strength.
Pliea squats for your VMO and glutes, great for generating stability and strength. Supplement with extensions, hamstring curls and calf raises. I can go on and on...

If you want to be strong to wake board and are in reasonable shape you need to target/isolate the muscles you will be using most, core and legs, to promote stability in those areas. Just don't forsake everything else.

Last edited by simplej; 01-14-2015 at 8:19 PM.
Old     (chrislandy)      Join Date: Mar 2014       01-15-2015, 12:53 AM Reply   
I use the TRX loads, really good and easy to use. Mixed with a bit of cardio it keeps me going...
Old     (jkgriner)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-15-2015, 6:58 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding is a full body exercise, to get results you have to train your whole body. You can't press a rope, but you still have to train your chest, so the rest of your body makes "gains" in proportion. I've found front squats, one legged squats, and lunges to work best FOR ME for lower body exercises. Arnold Press, upright rows, and smaller muscle workouts for shoulders. Back should be one of your focuses...pullups, bent over rows, low cable rows, and deadlift are in my rotation regularly. For chest incline press, decline press, and pushups are what I focus on on those days. That being said, every pound of bodyweight is equivalent to 4 lbs. of pressure on your knees. Work on strength, not gaining mass. How many reps you do doesn't dictate mass vs. strength...nutrition is what keeps you lean, or lets you add mass, or muscle. I don't have any background in crossfit, have read about the benefits, but also the injuries if don't preformed properly. Lifting weights will help you become more consistent of a rider, but cardio is a necessary evil to let you ride longer sets without getting fatigued quickly, so keep that in mind. Hope this helps.
Old    rullery            01-15-2015, 8:30 AM Reply   
I swear no matter how much you work out every muscle in the off season, the first ride in the spring is going to wreck you for the next couple days. I think the best wakeboarding specific workout is wakeboarding
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-15-2015, 8:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Ohhh jeez here we go again.
Arent stripper deadlifts supposed to be one of the worst things you can do to your back?

Cross fit vs lifting round two.

Anyways during knee rehab I had an in depth conversation with my PT about crossfit and how BAD he thinks it is and the number of injuries he sees come in due to poor form and too much weight too soon. He did not have much nice to say about body building either, which goes without saying...

There is a huge difference between lifting like an athlete, mixing large muscle group exercises with isolated movements, and "crossfit" which is basically tarted up light weight cardio. If it works for you, great!! Keep doing those ever functional Kipling pull-ups. Everyone gets into it because it gets them off their arse and into the gym. Dom says it perfectly: cross fit is when working out is the goal instead of for a goal.

It's not hard to lift weights and focus on function over form, that is to say as an end goal. Yes even if you mix in isolation exercises.
One great example of an isolation very functional to wakeboarding would be forearm exercises to enhance grip strength, stop popping those handles.
One large muscle group/compound lift would be dead lifts to build core, back, and most importantly hamstring strength.
Pliea squats for your VMO and glutes, great for generating stability and strength. Supplement with extensions, hamstring curls and calf raises. I can go on and on...

If you want to be strong to wake board and are in reasonable shape you need to target/isolate the muscles you will be using most, core and legs, to promote stability in those areas. Just don't forsake everything else.
Stripper DLs is just slang for bad form. I guess the sarcasm wasn't evident. The video was sarcasm as well. Some of your comments like "Kipling" pull ups and "tarted up light weight cardio" make it clear that you have no idea what CF is. That's ok. Not long ago I didn't have a clue either. You and your PT are entitled to your opinions. But you're obviously basing those opinions on some misconceptions. CF isn't for everyone. It's demanding of your time and effort and it isn't cheap. And just like anything else, it has some bad apples, whether it's an athlete who refuses to listen to coaches about proper form or an affiliate that perpetuates poor coaching. But generally it is one of, if not the best decisions the average person could make about their fitness. Try it out sometime. You'll learn something new and who knows? You might like it...
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-15-2015, 8:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rullery View Post
I swear no matter how much you work out every muscle in the off season, the first ride in the spring is going to wreck you for the next couple days. I think the best wakeboarding specific workout is wakeboarding
Truth.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       01-19-2015, 11:13 AM Reply   
Wakeboard more! And snowboard a lot with pull-ups
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       01-19-2015, 12:28 PM Reply   
So what are the views on P90X??? I've done it off and on for a few years now and really like it as a home workout routine. I don't like gyms, but can keep myself motivated. It's simple body weight movements mixed with some weights, cardio, stretching, etc. I only do the weight training and stretching because I do other things for cardio, plus I burn too much doing their cardio to keep my gains muscle mass. (I'ma skinny arse) I do think you have to be a good self-motivator since you're not going to a gym, or have someone pushing you like CF so it's not for everyone. To me that is where CF really comes into play is the community to motivate you. I've been curious to tag along with some of my CF friends just to see what its really all about, but haven't done it yet.

Either way that first Spring set still makes me sore... There really is no way to hit everything wake does without just riding.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-19-2015, 12:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by corerider View Post
So what are the views on P90X??? I've done it off and on for a few years now and really like it as a home workout routine. I don't like gyms, but can keep myself motivated. It's simple body weight movements mixed with some weights, cardio, stretching, etc. I only do the weight training and stretching because I do other things for cardio, plus I burn too much doing their cardio to keep my gains muscle mass. (I'ma skinny arse) I do think you have to be a good self-motivator since you're not going to a gym, or have someone pushing you like CF so it's not for everyone. To me that is where CF really comes into play is the community to motivate you. I've been curious to tag along with some of my CF friends just to see what its really all about, but haven't done it yet.

Either way that first Spring set still makes me sore... There really is no way to hit everything wake does without just riding.
I have been doing Insanity on and off for a while (pre-p90x, but similar high intensity interval training with mostly body weight exercises).

I can swear it has tremendously helped my wakeboarding. I just feel that I am riding with much higher intensity level and confidence overall.
Old     (oakasrtheshiz)      Join Date: Jan 2015       01-20-2015, 4:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsone79 View Post
Stripper DLs is just slang for bad form. I guess the sarcasm wasn't evident. The video was sarcasm as well. Some of your comments like "Kipling" pull ups and "tarted up light weight cardio" make it clear that you have no idea what CF is. That's ok. Not long ago I didn't have a clue either. You and your PT are entitled to your opinions. But you're obviously basing those opinions on some misconceptions. CF isn't for everyone. It's demanding of your time and effort and it isn't cheap. And just like anything else, it has some bad apples, whether it's an athlete who refuses to listen to coaches about proper form or an affiliate that perpetuates poor coaching. But generally it is one of, if not the best decisions the average person could make about their fitness. Try it out sometime. You'll learn something new and who knows? You might like it...
haha, silly crossfitters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opYj0XICHvQ
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-21-2015, 1:33 PM Reply   
Crossfit, or Crossfit like workouts are no doubt the best kind of training, provided that you are already in good enough shape to handle it, and lack the imbalances that make it dangerous. Ie....the inability to squat properly. Their movements are integrated, full body. Lot's of core (without doing core exercises) Crossfit will make you lean, strong, and tough, without adding a lot of unwanted bulk. It also involves high impact training, which you need for high impact sports. If you plan of landing in the flats, you should train like it.

Saying that CF is a cult that condones bad form is flat out ignorant. And I say that as a non-crossfitter. Most personal trainers suck, and Crossfit trainers are no exception. This is a fitness industry issue, not a CF issue. Make sure you find a good one.

What won't work well for wakeboarding is your isolated exercises used for bodybuilding, or split routines where you work one or two muscle groups per day. Do everything standing, prone, or supinated. No sitting or laying down.

Every muscle group, integrated, every day. Squat, push, pull, in all three planes of motion. I also find that high rep low weight works better for me than heavy lifting. Here's my workout for today.

Warm up
100 box jumps
100 jump squats with floor touch
100 Kettle bell swings
200 lunges

Circuit 5 rounds
Weighted pushups- max
Body row - max
Med ball 60lb squat/deadlift, overhead press 10

Circuit 5 rounds
Thruster (curl, squat, press) 10
Battle ropes 60 sec
Row 400 meters
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-22-2015, 6:33 AM Reply   
P90X3 would be perfect for you - it only takes 30 minutes a day. I've done multiple rounds of P90X, and can't say enough about it. If you do what Tony Horton (the P90X guy) says, and eat what he tells you to eat, you'll be in the best shape of your life 90 days later.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-22-2015, 7:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Most personal trainers suck, and Crossfit trainers are no exception. This is a fitness industry issue, not a CF issue. Make sure you find a good one.

Nail hit on head.

"Crossfit" is a class, that's the problem. Unless the goal is to get moving, this does not make much sense.

What you really wanna do is lift and exercise like an athlete. Focus on being explosive and efficient.
Every person is different, different things work best for them. IMO avoiding isolation is foolish. You absolutely need to pick up your slack to hit a good balance. You absolutely have to mix it in with compound movements, intervals, etc. there are days where I "body build" and days where I do athletic movements. One is for picking up strength where I am lacking, and yes, adding some volume at the same time. The other days I will work on explosive, building endurance, improving overall strength etc. Train like a fighter.

Diet and exercise is a science experiment on yourself. You need to find a combination that works for you and meets your goals. That's something no once can teach you in a class.

P90x is very good for losing weight fast if you pair it with the right diet. Lots of plyometrics.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-22-2015, 11:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakasrtheshiz View Post
Only 24% of contestants were injured...
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-22-2015, 11:13 AM Reply   
I'm going to throw in Parkour for a wakeboard specific workout. I've been taking Parkour classes and working out at the gym for the last 3 months and I feel like it applies to wakeboarding very well. We do front flips, back flips, side flips, rotation oriented routines (doing 360's in the air between 2 buildings), pull ups (salmon ladder), jumping, rolling and a lot of balance oriented exercises like walking across and rolling "logs" as well as stuff on the balance beam.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-22-2015, 11:19 AM Reply   
Forgot that we also do a lot of bar exercises and climbing stuff (hand holds, rings, cargo net, etc) which builds up the grip strength. The owner of the gym and my instructor are American Ninja Warrior contestants as are several of the guys that show up there like Brian Arnold. Pretty cool place to work out and I can't wait to see how this stuff transfers to wakeboarding and wakesurfing this summer.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-23-2015, 7:08 AM Reply   
My views on P90X are it's great for self motivated folks and light years better than your typical globo-gym routine. My brother did P90X for about 6 months and had great results. He has since drank the coolaid and switched to the CrossFit cult, with continued success.

What Jarrod does is right on par with the type of programming you'd find at a good CrossFit gym, although the volume he does in his sample workout is pretty high. Doing what he does assumes an athlete that already has very good form and has been doing similar programming for quite some time. More importantly it implies someone who is proficient at programming their own workouts, and has the time and creativity to come up with effective and varied movements and coupling them together in a way that complements each other.

CF takes the time and effort out of programming. It also provides motivation and comradery. Simplej keeps harping on what he perceives as a flaw: classes. It's actually one of the best things about CF. You form a bond with like minded athletes who are about to suffer through the same grueling work out with you day in and day out. It's motivating to try to chase each other whether it's beating the time of someone's workout or lifting more than them at one of the olympic lifts or power lifts. In my experience it has always been a friendly competition. At the end of the day it's really about competing with yourself and being a better athlete than you were yesterday.

I keep going back to CF because the OP asked what is the best thing. He didn't ask what was the 2nd or 3rd best thing.

Whatever route you choose the common denominator is hard work. JJ Watt put it best. "Success isn't owned. It is leased and rent is due every day."
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-23-2015, 8:24 AM Reply   
Quote:

CF takes the time and effort out of programming. It also provides motivation and comradery. Simplej keeps harping on what he perceives as a flaw: classes. It's actually one of the best things about CF. You form a bond with like minded athletes who are about to suffer through the same grueling work out with you day in and day out. It's motivating to try to chase each other whether it's beating the time of someone's workout or lifting more than them at one of the olympic lifts or power lifts. In my experience it has always been a friendly competition. At the end of the day it's really about competing with yourself and being a better athlete than you were yesterday.

Whatever route you choose the common denominator is hard work. JJ Watt put it best. "Success isn't owned. It is leased and rent is due every day."

This validates my side of this argument.

Cross fit is a class. The fitness goals target that of the class, or as you said, outdoing your peers. If you don't have time to continue your own science experiment like I mentioned above, hop aboard and meet the class's goals. Which will be to get in shape, and get stronger in general. I am really curious how you guys handle natural muscle imbalances in the CF world: I would be interested in learning.

Fitness is not a class. Strength and endurance you need cannot be solely taught by an instructor, and the only way you could possibly improve is by finding and improving your own deficiencies, not the class's. Finding a combination of exercises and diet that yields the best results for your own goals. If you're motivated enough you will make time to find that combination and perfect it. This takes hard work on your own. I feel I am getting closer and perform better than I ever have by using a mixed (isolation and athletic, or dare I say "crossfit" movements) routine and playing with my diet around 1/3rd each of my macros.
As I get closer to the season I will turn my focus further towards HIIT and stability exercises.

We also have no idea what kind of physical shape the OP is in, what his diet is like etc we can only make gross generalizations and assumptions, and argue about the negatives and positives about something like crossfit or a body building routine.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-23-2015, 8:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
Forgot that we also do a lot of bar exercises and climbing stuff (hand holds, rings, cargo net, etc) which builds up the grip strength. The owner of the gym and my instructor are American Ninja Warrior contestants as are several of the guys that show up there like Brian Arnold. Pretty cool place to work out and I can't wait to see how this stuff transfers to wakeboarding and wakesurfing this summer.

I am curious to see how this works out and translates. Please let us know.

I don't think anything translated as well as when I was doing some Krav training because it required fitness and really good propioception, similar idea here.

Last edited by simplej; 01-23-2015 at 8:31 AM.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-23-2015, 8:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Maybe JJ Watt should play for a Superbowl winning team because once you achieve that, you own it, it's not leased!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-23-2015, 8:57 AM Reply   
Every person I have known that has done CF has been a person that lacked the discipline to workout on their own or if they did attend the gym, it was for social hour and not actually working out and CF helped them have structure and goals. Nothing wrong with that, different people work in different ways. Those same people would never admit that this is the reason that CF works for them.

The main problem I have had with CF people is that they assume because they attend CF, they are the experts on form and how to build muscle and everyone else is doing it wrong. So apparently if you do CF, you are also an expert. I'm sure those that do CF in this thread aren't that way though....
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-23-2015, 9:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
Every person I have known that has done CF has been a person that lacked the discipline to workout on their own or if they did attend the gym, it was for social hour and not actually working out and CF helped them have structure and goals. Nothing wrong with that, different people work in different ways. Those same people would never admit that this is the reason that CF works for them.

The main problem I have had with CF people is that they assume because they attend CF, they are the experts on form and how to build muscle and everyone else is doing it wrong. So apparently if you do CF, you are also an expert. I'm sure those that do CF in this thread aren't that way though....
You summed it up pretty well there but you forgot the part about it not counting as a workout unless all your CF buddies photograph and film you doing CF and post it to social media!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-23-2015, 9:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by iShredSAN View Post
You summed it up pretty well there but you forgot the part about it not counting as a workout unless all your CF buddies photograph and film you doing CF and post it to social media!
Oh yeah, and you have to post terms that only CF people know like WOD, Fran or Murph because THEN you sound REALLY !
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-23-2015, 9:52 AM Reply   
I dig the fast paced workouts of CF. the herd mentality is unfortunately the only way to get some people motivated. Several friends have injured themselves (bulging disks, etc) doing too many reps with way too much weight and poor form. maybe local "box" is particularly crappy...

I've been doing a lot squats as of late. started with really light weight and have been adding weight consistently. working the bigger muscles in body makes a slot of sense to me. also confident I'll ride better this spring with stronger core/back/legs. stronglifts.com 5x5 if you're bored and want to read up on it. also has an app that makes tracking your progress easy.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-23-2015, 11:36 AM Reply   
I tried the 5x5 workout 2 years ago and wound up losing strength somehow. I followed a guide online that gave me the recommended starting weights and stuff based on current max. After 6 weeks, my max bench was down by 20#. I went back to my normal 10-8-6 with adding 20#'s each time and it took me 2 months to get that max back. Still not sure what I did wrong but I would never do it again.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-23-2015, 12:59 PM Reply   
First time I've heard that one!
Old     (nathanb)      Join Date: Jun 2013       01-23-2015, 6:30 PM Reply   
Hey guys thanks for all the responses. I had a look at some p90x videos on youtube and that looks alright. The wife had a look and told me we are starting it this weekend. Being able to do it in my own home when it suits me is good and even the people behind the instructor looked stuffed after 30 minutes and they seem to be in pretty good shape.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-23-2015, 6:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanb View Post
Hey guys thanks for all the responses. I had a look at some p90x videos on youtube and that looks alright. The wife had a look and told me we are starting it this weekend. Being able to do it in my own home when it suits me is good and even the people behind the instructor looked stuffed after 30 minutes and they seem to be in pretty good shape.
Good luck! Once you're past the first two weeks, it'll start getting much easier. You'll be shocked at how many vegetables you'll be eating. I ended up getting a good blender so I could drink a few servings a day. Let us know how it goes!
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-25-2015, 5:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
This validates my side of this argument.

Cross fit is a class.
At this point I'm probably just wasting my time. But you keep talking about CF as if you have the slightest clue about it. That is like someone who has never wakeboarded trying to explain to someone else what wakeboarding is. "Man, it is so lame you're strapped to a board and a boat pulls you across the water. It looks dangerous and if you don't have the proper technique then you'll fall and hurt yourself so you really shouldn't do it. Just get an indo board instead. It's the same thing."

Whatever. Like I said before you're entitled to your opinion but seeing you post about something you know nothing about is just hard to watch.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-26-2015, 6:03 AM Reply   
Aside from a bit of trolling, because CF guys get their feathers ruffled when anyone attacks CF, I've presented you with the reason why I actually dislike crossfit. Each of us have our own genetic differences, goal differences, different ages, and required diet balances to hit those goals. Classes don't often point us to our personal goals. This is why I don't like classes. I don't like pure crossfit because, like I've mentioned multiple times, it shirks isolation movements which are, in my opinion(at least for me), required to correct imbalances and serve to supplement larger movements.

I do like CF because it provides people an alternative to normal weight lifting that covers a broad routine. I think that entry level CF could be beneficial to many, however that a lot of people get wrapped up and push it too far, to the point of injury. Too easy to get in over your head. Every friend I have that does CF will tell you it's a cult like atmosphere and that they have seen a lot of poor practice. If you're already an athlete and familiar in the gym it might help you break some plateaus. I also think some of the movements you do are definitely spot on for functional strength and have therefore added them to my own routine. It also, as you mentioned builds a program for you so it takes the effort out of that portion, this is a negative for some, a positive for others.
That said, I don't like it in general for all people.

Will CF make you better at wakeboarding? Probably. But it's all relative. Any fitness plan will make you better if you're not moving or out of shape, or if you are and you're leaving something on the table in your current program.

Like I've said it's a big science experiment: what works for each individual is different. CF may be your magic bullet. It's not mine. I have tried doing only large movements/fast paced Olympic lifts and it does not work for me. I would encourage a mixed routine with compound/full body movements, HIIT, isolation, and cardio. For wakeboarding I would recommend more focus on legs, balance, and core work. Gotta soak up those landings. From there you can find what exercises work well for you, and what you enjoy. The big negative here is that it is time consuming playing with all these parameters. You adjust, push hard in the gym, and then wait for results. Few people have the patience, time, and motivation.

CF is not the be all, end all of fitness programs for all men and women.

You can call me ignorant if you'd like, but I still want to know how CF'ers corrects natural muscle imbalances, and why it is so great aside from people pushing each other (you can get a gym buddy, too), rather than just reading that it is the "best"...

Last edited by simplej; 01-26-2015 at 6:08 AM.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-26-2015, 8:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Aside from a bit of trolling, because CF guys get their feathers ruffled when anyone attacks CF, I've presented you with the reason why I actually dislike crossfit. Each of us have our own genetic differences, goal differences, different ages, and required diet balances to hit those goals. Classes don't often point us to our personal goals. This is why I don't like classes. I don't like pure crossfit because, like I've mentioned multiple times, it shirks isolation movements which are, in my opinion(at least for me), required to correct imbalances and serve to supplement larger movements.

I do like CF because it provides people an alternative to normal weight lifting that covers a broad routine. I think that entry level CF could be beneficial to many, however that a lot of people get wrapped up and push it too far, to the point of injury. Too easy to get in over your head. Every friend I have that does CF will tell you it's a cult like atmosphere and that they have seen a lot of poor practice. If you're already an athlete and familiar in the gym it might help you break some plateaus. I also think some of the movements you do are definitely spot on for functional strength and have therefore added them to my own routine. It also, as you mentioned builds a program for you so it takes the effort out of that portion, this is a negative for some, a positive for others.
That said, I don't like it in general for all people.

Will CF make you better at wakeboarding? Probably. But it's all relative. Any fitness plan will make you better if you're not moving or out of shape, or if you are and you're leaving something on the table in your current program.

Like I've said it's a big science experiment: what works for each individual is different. CF may be your magic bullet. It's not mine. I have tried doing only large movements/fast paced Olympic lifts and it does not work for me. I would encourage a mixed routine with compound/full body movements, HIIT, isolation, and cardio. For wakeboarding I would recommend more focus on legs, balance, and core work. Gotta soak up those landings. From there you can find what exercises work well for you, and what you enjoy. The big negative here is that it is time consuming playing with all these parameters. You adjust, push hard in the gym, and then wait for results. Few people have the patience, time, and motivation.

CF is not the be all, end all of fitness programs for all men and women.

You can call me ignorant if you'd like, but I still want to know how CF'ers corrects natural muscle imbalances, and why it is so great aside from people pushing each other (you can get a gym buddy, too), rather than just reading that it is the "best"...
FWIW, I agree with most of what you're advocating. Esp the HIIT, compound movements, body weight exercises and focusing on legs (mostly bc ppl seem to neglect legs).

As for your questions, the reason why CF is superior to any other structured fitness product isn't something that can be described beyond what has already been said, esp not to someone with your level of fitness which is already pretty advanced from what I've read so far. You'd just have to try it.

Regarding muscle imbalance, I'll give it a stab...

Caveat: I'm not a trainer. I'm not even an advanced athlete. I'm far from an expert. I'm just an average athlete. I've been doing various types of fitness for long enough to have garnered some knowledge about it. But the more I learn, the more I become aware of how much I don't know. So, I don't know how a good CF trainer would treat a muscle imbalance. I guess that it would depend on the imbalance.

I do know that a muscle imbalance doesn't necessarily mean a lack of strength. It could be due to a lack of mobility, or in rare circumstances, a genetic abnormality surrounding the joint where the imbalance is. And when it comes to muscle imbalances, it usually isn't just one muscle, it's a GROUP of muscles that have some sort of deficiency when compared to the opposing group of muscles. So there's no indication or evidence that an isolated movement would be effective in that scenario. Sometimes it might help, other times it wouldn't. It might even hurt, especially if strength wasn't the issue to begin with, in which case, strengthening the deficient group would do nothing to address the poor form and/or lack of mobility.

Even if it helped, it might not help as much as focusing on many of the compound, functional movements that target the imbalanced group and focusing on those using proper form, which would inherently work the deficient group harder than their counterpart, since the opposing group is already stronger. As form continues to improve, the imbalanced group improves at a faster rate and eventually equals out. It won't happen overnight, but I'd wager that in most cases it will prove to be more effective than isolated exercises. In almost every case, the body needs to learn to move as a whole, with many muscle groups working together.

It's not that isolated movements are all bad, and they certainly have their place in circumstances such as physical therapy. But the vast majority of athletes don't fall in the category of requiring physical therapy. Most of us with minor imbalances would be best served by focusing on proper form and addressing weaknesses through compound exercises. When compared to compound movements, isolated exercises are not nearly as effective, and as such are generally a waste of time and effort that could be much better spent in other ways.

CF isn't for everyone, and it sounds like it isn't for you. You seem to have found something that works for you. That's great. Different strokes for different folks. Just not isolated strokes! LOL, j/k... Or am I?
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       01-26-2015, 5:29 PM Reply   
On topic - have you got a trampoline? Trampolines are great for fitness, air sense and develop knee strength for hard landings. My knees are always at their best when I incorporate a tramp session in a couple times per week. (I'm 37 this year and have found this really helpful).
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-27-2015, 6:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorjaw View Post
On topic - have you got a trampoline? Trampolines are great for fitness, air sense and develop knee strength for hard landings. My knees are always at their best when I incorporate a tramp session in a couple times per week. (I'm 37 this year and have found this really helpful).
Does a trampoline workout do more than just build flip and spin skills? Does it actually tire you out or build core strength - anything like that? How do you do a trampoline workout?
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-27-2015, 2:50 PM Reply   
Trampolines are a crazy workout. Try jumping on one for 5 minutes and report back. They are good for getting your air awareness down. Very dangerous though.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       01-29-2015, 9:40 AM Reply   
Any fans of Climbing Gyms and/or Yoga?

It's really hard for me to keep focus at the gym and I'm thinking about getting into these, along with the ton of snowboarding I already do.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-29-2015, 12:34 PM Reply   
I am a fan of anything that gets me off of the couch and keeps me exerting energy and having fun at the same time. I love climbing walls. I've tried yoga and although I admit it is extremely difficult and probably very good for you as well, I just don't enjoy it. It's a shame bc I'd probably get a lot out of it, but there's only so much time in a day.

I envy you getting to snowboard so much. When I lived in CO I would typically get 40+ days of riding in a season. Living in Bama now I'm lucky to get 3 days per season. I've settled for wakeboarding. Which really isn't so bad! But I am itching for summer...
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-29-2015, 12:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
Does a trampoline workout do more than just build flip and spin skills? Does it actually tire you out or build core strength - anything like that? How do you do a trampoline workout?
There are so many different things you can do on them. In my Parkour class (sorry, I know, it's a class but I don't know how to do all of the moves yet), we do an exercise where you are bouncing on your back and have to go up against the wall and eventually bounce high enough off of just your back to stand up straight on the 5' high wall that is next to it. To get the bounce, you have to lay on your back with your arms and legs straight out in front of you and "push" with them to get the momentum going. It takes a lot of core strength to get it going right and maintain stability on the bounce. After a few reps, you feel like you've just done 100 situps.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-29-2015, 5:04 PM Reply   
OP mentioned kids -- I find trampoline to be a great way to have fun with the kids, while getting a great workout, and developing air awareness and control that helps wakeboarding. Just don't break your neck. That will not help your wakeboarding.

Also this:

Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-30-2015, 1:24 PM Reply   
^ I believe that's Byerly and Gator off season, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       02-01-2015, 3:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
Just jumping is very good, but you can add a handle for wake specific tricks. As soon as you start getting upside down/doing raleys you REALLY engage the core.

Further complexitydifficulty - make a tramp board out of foam and a pair of old shoes. Like the guys said - jump for 5 minutes non stop and see how you go

You can youtube trampoline work out if you want to treat it as such, but the best part of trampoline sessions is that they are fun and you can progress very quickly.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       02-01-2015, 8:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorjaw View Post
You can youtube trampoline work out if you want to treat it as such...
No thanks! I think that's what the Star Wars Kid's friends probably said. "Hey, these lightsaber workouts are awesome for your core. Why don't you record it, then put it on YouTube and see what kind of feedback you get?"
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       02-01-2015, 10:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange View Post
no thanks! I think that's what the star wars kid's friends probably said. "hey, these lightsaber workouts are awesome for your core. Why don't you record it, then put it on youtube and see what kind of feedback you get?"
bahahaha :d
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-02-2015, 5:32 PM Reply   
Figured I would share this that kicked my butt yesterday and is pretty functional to wake boarding IMO
Bike 5 minutes warm up and stretch
power lifting (low bar) Squat 12,10,8,6 super set with calf raises 4x10
Bulgarian Split Squats 4x10
Dog sled push 3 lengths of gym and back superset with unilateral hamstring curls 2x10, 2x8
Pliea squat 3x10
Balance work with bosu ball/medicine ball
Planks
20 minutes on the arc trainer

Last edited by simplej; 02-02-2015 at 5:37 PM.