Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-08-2015, 1:57 PM Reply   
So it's new board time. I'm sticking with slingshot bc I only ride cable. No boat access. Right now I'm on a 142 response and it feels a little big but I knew the 137 would be too small. Rode a 141 Windsor and loved it. Now the terrain is out and I'm curious as to how the ride compares and if I should go 140 or 44. I'm 6' and 165-170. Thanks
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       01-08-2015, 2:13 PM Reply   
compared to the windsor, the terrain is kind of a wet noodle. It's a blast on rails, but comparatively is slower when on edge and my knees weren't a fan on bigger kicker hits.
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       01-09-2015, 10:22 AM Reply   
I'm basically the same height and weight and as soon as SS came out with the Terrain mid-season I rode the 144 primarily. I rode the 140 later in the season as well, but preferred the longer board by far. Hard to pin point why but I've always liked longer boards and felt like landings were better and that you could lock in presses better with the amount of flex it has. I've noticed that most-if not all- of SS's team riders ride the longer boards...Dylan seems to be on a 145 reflex a lot and I've noticed Mckee does the same.

Terrain is definitely going to be a noodle in comparison to the windsor, but between the Terrain and the '15 Shredtown I leaned towards the Terrain everytime.

Lastly, I would take a look at the Whip and the Reflex as well...
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-09-2015, 11:01 AM Reply   
The only thing I would be cognizant of with the terrain, is durability. If you ride hard on un-forgiving features, you'll probably end up breaking it in half. Jibtopia had a broken Terrain hanging up in their park within like a month or two of the board being released to the public lol.

Wet Noodle flex + wood = broken board
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-09-2015, 11:56 AM Reply   
Yea thats kind of what i was thinking. Ive also been looking a lot into Humanoid. I love any company that is "Proudly Made in the US". May try to get more info on them.
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       01-09-2015, 1:03 PM Reply   
Ryan, Humanoid makes some great products and if you are interested in the Terrain from SS check out The Plank from Humanoid.

http://calmarinesports.com/wakeboard...oid-plank.html

Another great SS board to look at is the Reflex.. Plenty of flex in it but still stiff enough take take the kicker hits and not feel like a wet noodle like the Terrain. I'm 6'1 and 200lbs and rode a 141 Reflex all last year behind the boat and at the park and had a blast on it.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-09-2015, 1:35 PM Reply   
I've been hearing continuously awesome things about Humanoid, and they sponsor a local guy in the Raleigh NC area, Mark Rugala who is continuing to kill it.

I put Odyssey bindings on my Recoil and I've been using a Humanoid rope and Handle for the last year. I'm impressed by both, and when I had an issue with the Handle, they replaced it no questions asked. Too soon to give praise to the boots, but by observation and 2 rides, they are well built and comfortable (although initially very stiff).

BTW, if you like 3-stage rockers, I think the Recoil is pretty awesome. Reflex is great too, it's a Hybrid Rocker and the Shredtown is a continuous rocker. So there is an option for every rocker type.

IMO, in terms of flex, it's nice to have a really soft tip and tail to lock into presses, but I think riders should stop worrying about being able to press super hard. As long as you're using a Slingshot or other Flex/Hybrid, I think you'll be able to style out your rail hits just fine.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-10-2015, 12:38 PM Reply   
I am really curious how you would figure it would break any more easily than any other board, especially a foam core board?

Snowboards are way way way beyond a wet noodle by comparison, see a ton more abuse (park/street) and those don't break very often, usually it takes landing 10 feet to flat kink to break one...

Humanoids are nice but they are way too stiff for me, boat or cable. I would probably go with a terrain 144 to get a bit more rise out of the water which will ride faster and land softer, and press more. If you liked the windsor i might go for a reflex because the differences between those two boards is pretty subtle, my .02
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       01-10-2015, 1:25 PM Reply   
SimpleJ while Humanoid does have some stiff boards in their lineup, the Plank is just as if not more flexible/wet noodlish than the Terrain.

I wouldn't let the one board at Jibtopia deter you from the SS line and the Terrain. That could easily be a one off and there is no saying how much and what kind of abuse that board saw. Now if every cable park in the country had a broken board handing over the counter and you heard from multiple sources of that board breaking that would be a different story.

The Terrain and Plank are both very flexible and press oriented cable boards. Both will be a little unforgiving off kicker and ride a little slower due to their flex and the way it rides through the water.

If you are looking for something with plenty of flex for presses but still stiff enough for kicker hits and carrying speed behind the boat, Slingshot offers the Reflex, Windsor and Shredtown while Humanoid offers the Huxtable.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-12-2015, 8:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
I am really curious how you would figure it would break any more easily than any other board, especially a foam core board?

Snowboards are way way way beyond a wet noodle by comparison, see a ton more abuse (park/street) and those don't break very often, usually it takes landing 10 feet to flat kink to break one...

Humanoids are nice but they are way too stiff for me, boat or cable. I would probably go with a terrain 144 to get a bit more rise out of the water which will ride faster and land softer, and press more. If you liked the windsor i might go for a reflex because the differences between those two boards is pretty subtle, my .02
comparing to snowboards is apple/oranges. They're built differently.

I'm not saying it's a huge issue, I just said be cognizant.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-12-2015, 9:04 AM Reply   
They're not built all that differently?

There's a wood milled core(thicker on a wakbard), fiberglassed in between a top plastic top sheet and ptex/sintered base? When you get into really high end snowboards they add things like air pop core matrices, aluminum/carbon/bamboo in lays for more torsional flexion and response...

If you're gonna break a board it's gonna be because you aired out to flat on jibtopia' down-flat rail, not because a flexible board is weak?

Slongshot construction vs snowboard for kicks and gigs:
Attached Images

Last edited by simplej; 01-12-2015 at 9:09 AM.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-12-2015, 9:11 AM Reply   
Few appreciable differences, a board will break based on the conditions you subject it to rather than the flexion.
Attached Images

Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-12-2015, 9:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Few appreciable differences, a board will break based on the conditions you subject it to rather than the flexion.
OK, so lets examine my original statement. I'll make it easy for you and bold the relevant quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
The only thing I would be cognizant of with the terrain, is durability. If you ride hard on un-forgiving features, you'll probably end up breaking it in half. Jibtopia had a broken Terrain hanging up in their park within like a month or two of the board being released to the public lol.

Wet Noodle flex + wood = broken board
I never said it's doomed for disaster.

Fact of the matter is that in order to make the board more flexible, they have to remove material from it RELATIVE TO OTHER SLINGSHOT BOARDS. Less material is bound to make the board more susceptible to being damaged.

Geez you guys are *******s, if I could, I would go back and remove all comments. Shame on me for trying to help.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 01-12-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-12-2015, 10:36 AM Reply   
I agree the highlighted part of your post is fine. But the bottom part of your post contradicts it and follow it with a totally unsubstantiated claim, because you saw one broken board at jibtopia, if you get a terrain "You'll probably end up breaking it in half" and that "wet noodle flex + wood= broken board"

Flex has just as much to do with the fiberglass lay up as it does core constructions, not necessarily removal of material. For example using a biaxial glass make up will provide more flexion than a tri axial lay up and so on, applying different lay ups to different parts of the core to aid in achieving a certain flex profile. Yes It will have less glass and different core profile than a blue pill, but compared to a reflex I would be willing to be the differences are more in the glass lay up than core thickness. Less does not always equal more (flex) nor does it always mean decreased durability.

Last edited by simplej; 01-12-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old     (bruh)      Join Date: Jan 2015       01-16-2015, 5:32 AM Reply   
It's gonna be really fun on rails....but for kicker hits it isn't going to be the best and if you are doing airtricks it won't be the best either.. If your looking for a rail board only, it could be a good choice.