Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-20-2017, 10:24 PM Reply   
Hi Gang.
I haven't been on here in a bit, so forgive me if this already has been discussed. So a popup ad with catchy new Slingshot graphics led me to Buywake, which happened to lead me to the product vid for Ronix fun board. Not intending to bag on Ronix, as I love their push for innovation and also the playful spirit that always has defined the company. Also love my El Von Videl and my Parks bindings and Radar slalom and all that...
But...
I am just not immediately understanding why going back to the same crappy shapes we had in 1994 should be considered innovative or desirable. What am I missing? The product vid strikes me as 100% marketing hype. The video is fun with Danny and Parks acting like goofballs, but there is nothing at all that couldn't be done on any other wakeboard. Has boat wake boarding finally jumped the shark? Are we that desperate to try and regain market share from the wake surfers that we've lost common sense? Or perhaps more accurately, is Ronix banking on the idea that their customer base has more money than sense? Somebody help me out. Flame on if you feel I've got it coming.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-20-2017, 10:29 PM Reply   
Also I've gone back and checked the product lineup and I'm wondering where are the sandal bindings? Ok now maybe I'm just being obnoxious. Apologies.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-21-2017, 12:59 AM Reply   
Ronix had the Rove Carver for a few seasons a couple years ago that was similar to this, but shorter like a wakeskate. Three fins and meant for crusing around behind the boat. However that said, I think we're seeing that companies have decided to bring back some now "retro" gear in the last year or two. Look at Hyperlite with their RAD inflatable (see also the Slingshot iDrodisk) which is essentially the old wooden discs I've seen in old school waterski photos in a modern construction/design, as well as their revival of the Hyper Pro shape for 2017 that is aside from the M6 inserts pretty much the exact same thing as the 1991 model.

No flames here, it's a valid question IMO. This product doesn't necessarily appeal to me as a younger, all wakeboarding all the time consumer, but I can see how if I were older and had fond memories of learning to ride on something like this or one of the aforementioned products, I might want to pick one up and give it a ride for old times sake. Hell the Hyper Pro looks like fun to me I'd love to take it for a spin.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-21-2017, 4:35 AM Reply   
I should have one to play on soon. If you have held the Funboard it is definitely not a shape for the 90s. Imagine if a wakesurf board and a wakeboard had a baby. It has a ton of buoyancy and is designed to be ridden slow. It is built around someone who wants to rip, but wants to work less or just someone wanting to ride a board that's main purpose is top water speed.

There are very few guys that this will be their daily driver. Ronix capitalizing on the snowboard directional craze while creating something that serves a very specialized purpose.

I'll give a proper review once I get back from my surf/snow trip in about two weeks--and I'll try to post some pics and vids.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       03-21-2017, 7:13 AM Reply   
I'm curious to hear more about this board. I've seen the sales adds but no reviews from any users. Just curious what you use this board for and what speeds and rope lengths compared to your wakeboarding. It would be nice to find something fun for the boat. Wakesurfing always seems like so much work to set up etc
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-21-2017, 3:02 PM Reply   
you just cruise! speed and rope length aren't really material as its not built for wake to wake stuff. I'm sure it can be done, as we saw in the vid. also looked super squirly throwing spray in the flats. they say you can "cruise" longer than a typical board because its ginormous. IDK, not for me
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-21-2017, 3:51 PM Reply   
I plan on sending it on the thing. We'll all find out fast how well it works. Nacho kinda touched on the my pet-peeve with Ronix--Don't tell me how to use your boards!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-21-2017, 7:13 PM Reply   
You can "cruise" longer than a typical board? Seriously? I'm thinking if all you are doing is "cruising," then it would be pretty easy to do that until the boat runs out of gas even on a regular board. I'm still not seeing anything more than novelty and marketing hype. Although the point made about all things "retro" being trendy right now is a good one, I'm thinking could could grab an old 1994 O'Brien Woody (or similar) for $10 at a yard sale or at Play It Again Sports and it looks like almost the exact same board.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-21-2017, 7:15 PM Reply   
First sign of being an old codger: Young people are doing something different, and you can't understand it.
Second sign of being an old codger: You feel compelled to bitch about it.
Hmm... do I resemble that remark?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-22-2017, 7:45 AM Reply   
Doc I agree, not about the plop down whatever they want for it.
justin - get some vid! doesn't look like it would hold an edge for chit but wanna see you get booted!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-22-2017, 8:30 AM Reply   
Wouldnot really expect you all to understand unless you keep a big snowboard quiver

Granted I won't be buying this because 1. It's ronix, and 2. I don't see why this would be fun or better than the HL reissued board, 3. I don't go out free riding and slashing around on the wakeboard.

I get why someone might be inclined to buy one of these, though
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       03-22-2017, 10:05 AM Reply   
I'm sure its easier to ride since its so big, way less drag. Its obviously not geared towards anyone with any assortment of spins or inverts. Just for the average people getting started. Im and OLD CODGER and just recently got a NOMAD 160 its WAY less tiring to ride, I imagine this one is even less tiring since it looks to be even bigger. And on a side note if it creates a few more riders or generates any type of BUZZ at all its a good thing aint it? Its all about getting out on the water and having fun, to me ANY gadget/gizmo that promotes that or helps is all good.