Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (troberts2)      Join Date: Jan 2017       04-03-2017, 9:32 AM Reply   
Wow, I've been missing out! I ended up getting a 2016 Whip to try out this year and I've been amazed by the performace of this board. How many other Slingshot bros we have on here for this year?
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-03-2017, 12:27 PM Reply   
Love their stuff, been riding SS exclusively since 2012. You will not find a more durable board. Bummed however with the 2017 product line that the widest stance you can have is 25.25". Up till 2016 the fast track let you go out to 28.5". 25.25" on center is a skinny stance for a tall guy. Hopefully they put another insert or move the inserts out on the 2018 line, for now I just bought a new 2016 setup. The skinny stance seems to be taking over.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-03-2017, 12:43 PM Reply   
I'm so over this skinny stance trend. Last time I went to a public cable there were a bunch of space mob wannabees lapping around legs together in overalls all kinds of whole school outfits.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-03-2017, 3:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo8290 View Post
I'm so over this skinny stance trend. Last time I went to a public cable there were a bunch of space mob wannabees lapping around legs together in overalls all kinds of whole school outfits.
Let me guess, you like air tricks, wear fox boardshorts, have neon equipment, and half of your tricks are raley-based?
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-03-2017, 7:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Let me guess, you like air tricks, wear fox boardshorts, have neon equipment, and half of your tricks are raley-based?
Lol
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-03-2017, 7:35 PM Reply   
Yeah but a skinny stance lets you whip a crappy looking really late 270 onto and off of every 1ft wide rail in the park. Reduced swing weight bro. And your nollie off looks even more awesome with 2ft of tail flopping behind your back foot.

I get that it's different, but everyone that does it, they all do it the same way.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-03-2017, 7:53 PM Reply   
I didn't mean to digress into an argument on style... I just personally wasn't aware SS narrowed all their stance options with the new insert system this year. I bought a 2017 Response/KTV setup and found that out when I went to put the board together. I am 6'3" so losing over three inches of stance width made me look and feel like I was standing straight legged on the board. I wasted $50 in shipping the stuff back and went back with a 2016 setup. Just wanted others to be aware... I didn't check the board specs, it didn't even occur to me that they might make a change like that, my fault there I suppose.... I have been riding a response since 2012, had a 12, 13, 14, plus 12 Recoil and 14 Reflex. All models all years have been exactly the same.

I will admit 28.5" is pretty wide and most people probably don't ride the fasttrack all the way out... but 25.25" as a max stance on a 147 size board is way too far on the narrow end. Ronix offers 28" on their larger boards, LF 27 or 27.5 I think. Can you imagine how a Terrain 152 or a Nomad 160 must look?

Hopefully SS will add another insert or widen back out the stance on the larger sizes. I have made this request to customer service, did get a response directly from Jeff McKee, which was cool, but obviously it's too early for them to say whether or not they'll incorporate this feedback into the 2018 line.

Maybe if some other wide stance Slingshot fans chime in as well? So get to emailing them please!!! Otherwise I am going to have to stock up on 2016 boards or move to Ronix.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-04-2017, 3:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyost View Post
Yeah but a skinny stance lets you whip a crappy looking really late 270 onto and off of every 1ft wide rail in the park. Reduced swing weight bro. And your nollie off looks even more awesome with 2ft of tail flopping behind your back foot.

I get that it's different, but everyone that does it, they all do it the same way.
I heard wide stances must make it easier to grab tindy

This is what happens when wakeparks pop up and all the skate/snowboard kids can afford to ride.
No longer a trust fund, lifted truck, tribal tat thing like it was when boat was the only way
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-04-2017, 11:40 AM Reply   
Quote:

Damn simplej got me all figured out
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-04-2017, 11:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
I heard wide stances must make it easier to grab tindy

This is what happens when wakeparks pop up and all the skate/snowboard kids can afford to ride.
No longer a trust fund, lifted truck, tribal tat thing like it was when boat was the only way
SimpleJ grabs EVERYTHING
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-04-2017, 4:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo8290 View Post
SimpleJ grabs EVERYTHING
That's right kids.

You're not done learning a trick until you can do it with a grab. Which I only do between my feet. Or on the nose and tail.

But also wear 5 panels, cut offs, and short shorts so...
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-04-2017, 7:34 PM Reply   
If your profile pic is current, and that is you, then by your own measure you are not finished learning that backroll.

Just kidding....

I don't see what a lifted truck, trust fund, tribal tat has to do with stance width?
Those guys don't even wakeboard right? Thought they just surfed while holding a beer?

To each his own on style.. never will every wakeboarder agree. My only point (agreeing with stevos observation) was that everyone started doing the skinny stance thing to be different, but now they all look and ride exactly the same.

My opinion is a wide stance looks better, look at Raph and the Shredtown guys, some of the best and most creative rail riders. Again, this is only my OPINION... I don't think skinny stancing is wrong by any means, but most mfgs give you the option of where to put your boots. Slingshot has now significantly reduced the max allowable stance width. For some guys this maybe doesn't affect them at all... but for a bigger taller rider (who SS was targeting by offering larger board sizes 145+ in several models), they force them to skinny up.

Alternative brands now offer a better range of stance options than slingshot.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-05-2017, 5:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
If your profile pic is current, and that is you, then by your own measure you are not finished learning that backroll.

Just kidding....

I don't see what a lifted truck, trust fund, tribal tat has to do with stance width?
Those guys don't even wakeboard right? Thought they just surfed while holding a beer?

To each his own on style.. never will every wakeboarder agree. My only point (agreeing with stevos observation) was that everyone started doing the skinny stance thing to be different, but now they all look and ride exactly the same.

My opinion is a wide stance looks better, look at Raph and the Shredtown guys, some of the best and most creative rail riders. Again, this is only my OPINION... I don't think skinny stancing is wrong by any means, but most mfgs give you the option of where to put your boots. Slingshot has now significantly reduced the max allowable stance width. For some guys this maybe doesn't affect them at all... but for a bigger taller rider (who SS was targeting by offering larger board sizes 145+ in several models), they force them to skinny up.

Alternative brands now offer a better range of stance options than slingshot.
I ride a 146 recoil, almost all the way out. So now you have me definitely concerned about a looming upgrade.
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       04-05-2017, 6:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Love their stuff, been riding SS exclusively since 2012. You will not find a more durable board.
Back on point though I put my shredtown through the wringer at the cable and that thing feels like its bulletproof, cannot beat their quality. I just wish they put more effort into boat boards

Last edited by chillinoj; 04-05-2017 at 6:50 AM. Reason: can't spell
Old     (troberts2)      Join Date: Jan 2017       04-05-2017, 7:03 AM Reply   
I actually prefer my Whip over the Pill for a boat board. I do want to try the Oli next though.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-05-2017, 9:44 AM Reply   
I think they have some great boat boards. I love the way the thin profile boards ride in the water and I like the tail heavy, later pop of the flex. They also land softer than most traditional boards I've ridden. The Response and Recoil (although now discontinued) are both great boat boards. Response is the softest landing board I've ever ridden due to the flex and rocker line, carries a lot of speed. I have heard good things about the whip and oil but have never tried them because I try to get the biggest longest board I can and those are 143 and 144 respectively.

Indestructible... except for the fast track. But most of my boards have gone at least 1.5 seasons before blowing a track. My 12 Recoil never blew after 4 years. I did have a 13 Response that blew on the second ride. It all depends on how, and how hard you fall. They don't like digging the nose on a switch roll to revert, I lost several on that trick.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-10-2017, 11:53 AM Reply   
Yes that's from like 7 years ago. Maybe they've switched to surfing not sure, that's the wake scene here, it's gross.

All circle jerking around aside-

Idk why you guys love super wide stances. I'm 6ft and ride middle set up on all my 141/2/3.

I bombed my knee all the way out. Also find it more annoying to tweak a grab with a super wide stance. Maybe you guys should just try it...
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-12-2017, 8:24 PM Reply   
simple...

I hear a lot people talk about a wide stance being hard on the knees. I had the opposite experience however when I blew my knee. Back in 09, had broken a LF board and riding a backup. During the 8" to 7" to 6" binding plate change in 07 to 08 to 09, I had 7" 2008 plate boots on a 8" 2005 insert spacing board after my 08 board broke and was in warranty process. That combo forced me one insert in on each side to get the boots to mount - losing 3" total stance. This made me stand too tall on the board, and I came down straight legged on a roll to revert and POP, right knee gone.

Disagree on the grab thing, especially when taller, but to each his own.

I suppose if you slowly eased into it, I could see the benefit. I mean if I stand and broad jump... I don't naturally land as wide as my board stance. And when I skate and wakeskate, I don't ride that wide out (although the impacts are probably less than 1/10th as bad cause I'm not good at wakeskating and don't jump off of stuff with my skateboard). I might experiment some this year slowly bringing the stance in. But to just lose 3.25" at one shot seems like a recipe for another knee disaster. My body is trained by 17 years of wakeboarding with the boots all the way out and evenly ducked.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-12-2017, 8:32 PM Reply   
Tom,

Email slingshot and tell them!!! Their customer service is very responsive.

In the past the smallest board in a model series (say a Response 137) had a 25.25" max stance width, where the 142 and 147 had 28.5" So you could go a little narrower on the small board, wider on the bigger boards. Now with the insert system, all three boards have the same range of stance option. Maybe this was done for less fixturing when setting the inserts into the boards? I don't know....

I think it would be very easy for them to either move the stance options back out on the larger boards, or even just add an additional insert, leaving the same narrow range they have on the 2017s now, but at the same time offering the 28" ish wide stance. I'm guessing the insert spacing is 1.5", so another insert on each end would get you 28.25", only 1/4 narrower than the fasttrack boards, I could live with that.

I am eyeballing the Ronix Bill if SS doesn't come through or I can't find 2016s anymore. Wood core, continuous rocker, park base, and 28" stance width. Biggest size is a 145... but that's the Response size I'm used to riding, I just this year got a 147 Response and haven't even had a chance to ride it yet.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-13-2017, 6:29 AM Reply   
Stance width is proportionate to height, sure.
But if you stand at the stance width of your SS board, or any board, at the widest position, your stance width will probably be much much wider than your shoulders. That position is anatomically weak compared just beyond shoulder width.

You blew your knee because you came down straight legged. The more width you put in your stance then straighter you will be more of the time because you're not sinking your butt/knees as much to achieve a lowered center of gravity. Think about it: you can get your butt down two ways, bending at the knee and or spreading your legs out. Once puts a bend in your knee the other doesn't require it.

It's about appropriate stance width, but I think going too wide is worse than too narrow. And yes grabbing is easier because you're closer to the board, but tweaking that grab is harder because you're not in as flexible a position anatomically. It's like comparing squats to plie squats
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-13-2017, 7:22 AM Reply   
I ended up just getting a 2016 Reflex off Evo... I'm going to spend some more time dialing in my stance width before I take issue with the changes. My boat board stance is definitely a bit more narrow than my cable board.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-18-2017, 7:55 AM Reply   
Pretty stoked on the Reflex I grabbed.

FYI, I was also able to score brand new liners for 2014 Shredtowns on Slingshot's site! Boots are feeling new again. Stoked for this setup.