Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-15-2017, 6:17 AM Reply   
I am going to check with Roswell on this, but I thought I would see if anyone else was seeing this.

I just bought a used 2014 G21 with less the 300 hours on it. Everything on the boat is perfect condition except the original equipment nautique installed roswell speakers. See pictures.

If I just saw the speakers without the boat I would think the boat had spent significant time in saltwater. But that's the thing. It hasn't. I have examined the boat and everything is like new in the whole boat EXCEPT these speakers.

They were really OEM installed...weird.

I will check with Roswell customer service, but I was curious if anyone else on the forum has seen this?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-15-2017, 6:34 AM Reply   
Did the boat come locally or is it from a humid/salty climate?

Even if it wasn't in salt water, if ithe boat was stored in that environment it could result in this kind of thing
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-15-2017, 6:53 AM Reply   
Yep, florida boat...for sure humid...but boats are stored in humid lifts all the time...my old boat - like many many others is tucked in a humid lift - for 8 years with 0 problems like that on anything in the boat.

Not sure what they would say, but I don't think that would be a reasonable excuse from Roswell do you?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-15-2017, 7:15 AM Reply   
Yea. But if it was stored humid and near the gulf I could see that happening, that salty air ruins things. Another thought- was the boat shipped to you during this winter? Were the speakers exposed to the elements? Salty roads?

I would suspect that your boat is still under bow to stern, I would think nautique would replace. I would suspect Roswell will respond in a similar way but who knows. Excuse? No excuse for that. I'm assuming this is an outcome of cost cutting from nautique and/or Roswell for oem equipment which is a shame.

I am just shocked that they would use a casing that could corrode. All our Roswell stuff is aluminium/pvd or stainless.
Old     (80AM)      Join Date: Apr 2016       03-15-2017, 7:55 AM Reply   
I want to recall I had a friend who works in marine audio tell me those model Roswell's had that issue. They made the Neptunes so they wouldn't have that issue. One of the reasons Nautique switched to JL too.
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       03-15-2017, 8:23 AM Reply   
Man, that is a bummer but glad that the rest of the boat is perfect. I would pull them and have them powder coated and have a perfect boat!
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-28-2017, 4:39 AM Reply   
I have been in discussion with Roswell. They want $475 to strip and recoat them. Probably a fair price for the work. But admittedly I am not feeling very good about their standing behind them in the first place.

From what they are saying, they seem to be very concerned about losing money on this work versus their actual reputation.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-28-2017, 6:49 AM Reply   
Is the boat not still under factory warranty?

At 5 years 500 hours you should be. This is not really Roswell's problem, it's nautique's

Last edited by simplej; 03-28-2017 at 6:51 AM.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-28-2017, 6:53 AM Reply   
^^^Good point.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-28-2017, 7:57 AM Reply   
Not sticking up for Roswell at all, but salt air/salt water can reek havoc on a boat and not sure why they should be held responsible for it. Many components on these wake boats are not ready for the salt even if the motor is closed cooled. It is clearly a salt issue. I would imagine their warranty has a clause for salt air/water, but if not pursue it.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-28-2017, 10:55 AM Reply   
First owner only owned the boat a short time. I am 3rd owner. Nautique does NOT transfer warranty to 3rd owner.

I agree with you in general except based on condition of these speakers as compared to the rest of the boat it does not make sense, and the speakers held up extremely poorly.

So given the oem performance of the speakers and the cost to maintain (based on their charge), I am highly unlikely to purchase or recommend Roswell products.

P.S. Is it a coincidence that Nautique has moved away from them to JL Audio for their tower speakers?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-28-2017, 11:45 AM Reply   
The switch to JL was a cost cutting measure. The JL speakers are cheaper than HLCD roswells
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-28-2017, 12:18 PM Reply   
$475 to strip and Re-Gell them seems fair. But I would not be happy if I bought them new and 3 years later I would be on the hook for $475. Was this the result of user neglect? I would not expect any company to warranty a speaker that was left outside in a salt environment for 3 years. It would be fair if Roswell was to say we will take care of them or warranty them if they were covered and taken care of but if your leaving them
Out in the environment for 3 years with no maintenance the. I don't know to many things that will hold up, but if you say the rest of the boat looks good then that's a head scratcher
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-28-2017, 12:49 PM Reply   
My point exactly and that is what I told them...The rest of the boat looks WAY better than their stuff...Rest of the boat is A/B condition. Those speakers D/F condition.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-28-2017, 1:49 PM Reply   
Yea you would think if the boat was abused more surfaces would look like the speakers or show wear and tear if the boat looks cherry like you say but the speakers look hammerd then is a possible manafactuer issue?
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-28-2017, 2:20 PM Reply   
How about everyone from south post pictures of your 3 year old speakers and then we will know if it is the speakers or humid salt air.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-28-2017, 3:26 PM Reply   
If the pods are cast, then this is fairly common, even in inland fresh water areas. Plus, Asian coatings, if that's the case, usually aren't the best. Once fully stripped, and prior to a replacement coating, the powder-coater should bake the pods at a fairly high heat for an extended period. This will serve to out-gas the contaminants. Then powder-coat.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-28-2017, 6:11 PM Reply   
Looking at this from the outside, $475 is a deal to disassemble, stripe/prep, power coat 2 colors, reassemble four pods. If you are willing to do the labor yourself and go single color, you could have them powder coated for about $150 total. Maybe $200-$250 for dual color as they are now.