Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       04-03-2016, 1:31 PM Reply   
I just bought myself a 98 sanger dlx in awesome condition! But the guy said there's a wax ring that is self lubricating that I may need to replace. So I'm just wondering what exactly is he talking about and can I do it on my own??
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       04-03-2016, 1:47 PM Reply   
Something about a prop shaft drive ring?
Old     (kenerator)      Join Date: Feb 2014       04-03-2016, 2:57 PM Reply   
It sounds like he may be describing the prop shaft seal. It's located where the prop shaft exits the boat. It's the brass tube with a big brass nut on it. There are three wax impregnated pieces of rope that make a seal around the shaft when the nut is tightened. Take note if you replace the seals, do not over tighten the nut to make a water tight seal. The new seals will burn and possibly damage the shaft. It goes against your intuition, but it is supposed to drip a drop or two every few minutes. You need a little water for lubrication.
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       04-03-2016, 4:00 PM Reply   
That's it! Where can I buy one???
Old     (jsans)      Join Date: Apr 2015       04-04-2016, 7:30 AM Reply   
It's called shaft packing (http://www.skidim.com/mobile/searchprods.asp), there are two sizes (1/4, 3/16) confirm which one you have, there are two types (paraben, gore tex) the gore tex can have a slower leak because it heats up less, but costs more. Dig out the old packing, cut three strips of packing to circle the shaft exactly once, cut it on a bias, pack it in so the cut areas are offset. Take it to the lake and tighten the packing nut until you get the drip rate you want. Then lock it with the second nut.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-04-2016, 8:06 AM Reply   
make your cuts on the rope at a 45% too.