Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ronix_ryder)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-15-2013, 9:32 PM Reply   
I have been riding a 2011 ronix phoenix project, from which i switched to from a slingshot. As my boat doesn't put out a very large wake, i am considering switching from flex. I have been looking at the ronix viva, but with all the talk about O'brien recently, I was looking at the 2011 o'brien Format.. and possibly the O'brien Paradigm, seeing as it is stiff through the middle and flexes on the ends... any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old    9Drozd            01-16-2013, 1:19 PM Reply   
Having both the 2012 ronix one and the 2012 obrien paradigm which I'm my eyes are on completely different ends of the spectrum, is the only experience I can help with. The one is a traditional board not meant to flex much and to hold its shape through the wake. It's faster than previous generations of the board and has ample straight up pop. The paradigm to me is one of the most flexible boards on the market. It seems like I can bend the s*** out of it compared to most other flex boards. Having said that, I had to relearn my pop on the paradigm coming off of the one. The paradigm is a fast board with ample pop but it just comes off the wake different, it's hard to explain the feeling. It's like you really have to drive your legs 100% completely from trough through the very top of the wake to maximize the pop out of the board. Maybe it's due to the amount of flex the board has. It just doesn't have that quick pop, I guess is a better description. Once you get used to the pop, the board is absolutely amazing on the water. The landings are so nice on the paradigm it's not even funny. To be honest, it was pretty much my quiver killer. It's awesome behind the boat and with the fins removed, it's a blast at the cable park. Lots of flex for presses, soft landings coming off the kickers, and the base holds up really well. Aside from that, I have no experience with any of the other boards you have listed, so I apologize for not being of more help.
Old     (carter134)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-16-2013, 2:27 PM Reply   
the viva is a continous you will get more pop out of a flex board once your learn how to edge propperly and load the board. i would recommend the slingshot hooke or the recoil they are a bit stiffer and have nice big 3 stages that will allow you to boost ! aswell they are unbelievable boards on the cable
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-17-2013, 7:47 AM Reply   
Format vs One vs Paradigm

Boat: the format and one are both stiffer than the paradigm, so you definitely get that good traditional pop, where as on the paradigm you have to really wait up the wake to get full use of the flex. i feel that the format and paradigm are very fast and have minimal drag, where the one is more sluggish. the overall best boat board of the 3 is probaby the format. i am not saying the paradigm or ronix one are a bad choice, just the format is my favorite of the 3

cable: im just gonna say paradigm all day, its freaking rad on the cable! the grind base is so good on the paradigm, super fast on rails and pretty boosty for air tricks too. i really like the format on the cable too, airtricks are awesome on it! but there is no grind base option. my buddy claud used to ride the ronix one on the cable, but quickly made the switch to a lf flex board.

hopefully that helps a little, sorry for my run on sentences
Old     (ronix_ryder)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-17-2013, 9:57 AM Reply   
Thanks JB! I think i'm sold on the format
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       01-17-2013, 10:53 AM Reply   
I agree with JB. I've been on the Format for several years now and it doesn't matter what size the wake it, very consistent and great pop!
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-17-2013, 11:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronix_ryder View Post
Thanks JB! I think i'm sold on the format
chika chika yaa! you wont regret it :P
Old     (ronix_ryder)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-17-2013, 1:16 PM Reply   
How do I go about getting the .5 fins? I looked on the website, but couldn't find them
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-17-2013, 3:27 PM Reply   
Technique. I get the same amount of pop behind my 17 foot I/O with my own Ibex and a buddy's Phoenix. Just have to get used to releasing off the wake the right way to maximize your pop no matter what board you're on.
Old     (ronix_ryder)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-17-2013, 4:48 PM Reply   
phoenix is super slow and boring
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       01-17-2013, 8:48 PM Reply   
Unfortunately, they don't make the .5's anymore.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-17-2013, 10:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_shima1 View Post
Unfortunately, they don't make the .5's anymore.
No!!!
Old     (SouthCack)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-18-2013, 1:06 PM Reply   
I am also looking at the Obrien format, but also at the liquid force harley. torn between the two
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-20-2013, 9:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCack View Post
I am also looking at the Obrien format, but also at the liquid force harley. torn between the two
try them both! pick what fits you best