Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-04-2014, 6:58 PM Reply   
I am trying to put on the new agenda traction and I am having a hell of a time getting the traction off my inland swallow. It doesnt look like a 3m sticky glue but rather a epoxy type glue. Does anyone know of a decent way to get it off?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old     (rayatrogue)      Join Date: May 2013       06-04-2014, 8:41 PM Reply   
Have you tried heating the pad up with a hair dryer before peeling it up?
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-05-2014, 4:21 AM Reply   
Yes, it didnt really help.

Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-05-2014, 6:51 AM Reply   
I would say try using that GooGone stuff, but it might take off some of the board finish.
Old     (rayatrogue)      Join Date: May 2013       06-05-2014, 2:09 PM Reply   
Ok if heat didn't work, then We recommend Acetone or MEK to remove stubborn dried on pads...Always test small area as board construction can use a variety of top sheet materials...Also, goof off, goo gone leaves a oil residue so if you go that route you will need to clean with Isopropyl alcohol...
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       06-05-2014, 2:12 PM Reply   
just get a new custom from Soulcraft and get it without pad
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-06-2014, 3:42 AM Reply   
Just found out they due use a marine epoxy. They dont know what but that it is a marine epoxy. So now what to break it down without taking away the asthetics of the board.

Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-06-2014, 5:46 PM Reply   
Finally got it all off. Had to scrape every piece off with a paint scraper. Theb use brake cleaner (non chlorine) to get it to soften. If you use the chlorine stuff it melts to much and is hard to remove. I need to wetsand and buff it more. It isnt exactly pretty under neath the traction.

Old     (rayatrogue)      Join Date: May 2013       06-10-2014, 10:31 AM Reply   
Daniel, glad to hear it came of. It's good to know it with some elbow grease and a bit of solvent like brake cleaner, you can get the china made stuff off. Our Agenda pad should stick on with no issues, as long as the surface is free of wax/oil/grease, Daniel, PM or email me your address, i'll send you out some Agenda stickers!

ray@agendasurf.com
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-10-2014, 12:16 PM Reply   
Ray, it looks and feels so much better.
Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-13-2014, 12:23 PM Reply   
i know he has got i done now. but in my experince. heat to get pad off works best and dupacolor paint prep spray works the best to get the sticky stuff of. googone and goof off suck. really comes down to dont replace traction just by a new board! hahahaha that stuff sucks to remove.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-15-2014, 2:59 PM Reply   
Its just the outsourced boards that use epoxy. The others use a 3m sticky tape stuff that isnt to bad. Ill have to remember the paint prep stuff.

Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-15-2014, 3:25 PM Reply   
Virtually all traction manufactures use 3M double sided fabric tape for eva and other traction used for surfboards. If the Cobra Factory is gluing down traction with an epoxy adhesive for Inland, that is not the norm, but honestly it makes sense given the size of their traction. The most efficient way to remove traction that has been glued down with a drying adhesive is to grind it off with a sander/grinder. It is dusty, and messy, but very efficient, and prevents the use of toxic solvents. 99% percent of the time, heat helps, however, heat can result in the adhesive tape letting loose of the eva, and then you are left with the double sided tape which basically has to be scraped or rubbed off with or without solvents.

Removing traction, even a simple tail pad is not the easiest job in the world.