Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (romamg)      Join Date: Dec 2017       05-13-2018, 8:27 AM Reply   
So I'm really starting to kick into overdrive to get the boat done
I started to get my registration numbers and decals on yesterday. Noticed I had some serious ghosting of old decals, I dont know how long ago they were removed.
Tried everything to get rid of, landed on wetsanding with 2000 wet/dry which worked perfect. Problem is it's not really ghosting it's a nasty brown dirt/tint.
Question is can I do the same with 1500 then follow up with this 3m, then polish and wax to seal. The 2000 worked fine, but was a little slow.
Attached Images

Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       05-13-2018, 5:00 PM Reply   
They often recommend

600/800/1000/1200 wet sanding followed by:

3M super duty
3M Perfect it II
3M Finesse it II

Followed up by waxing.

Only go as aggressive as you need- try the finesse-it first, and if you need more grit work progressively towards the super duty.

I did (part of) this twice now and worked wonders.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       05-13-2018, 7:28 PM Reply   
I would never go that aggressive unless you have some serious damage. I used mostly 2000 on some scratches on my gelcoat (yes, it took longer), forklift at dry dock scratched hull up nicely in a couple places...on a couple of the worse places I used 1500, then 2000....then the cutting compound and then polish. Take your time using the compound and polish and use the right equip for best results, variable speed rotary with the wool for compound and synthetic blend for polish.
Personally I would not want to use a "1 step"....you will get better results doing it all individually even tho it will take longer.

Seeing swirls at end depends on the color you have, mine is black so I had to really take my time and do it right for it to turn out perfect. Was my first time doing it this Spring.....made me nervous as hell but I watched many video's and now that I have done it, would not hesitate to do again if required.
Old     (TTyler89)      Join Date: Jun 2015       05-14-2018, 3:28 PM Reply   
You can honestly run all the way down to 400 grit if necessary. You’ll just have to work back from there. It depends on the color of your boat is what’ll dictate where you stop at. If it’s black or a dark color, go to 2000. If it’s white or a lighter color you can stop at 1500 depending on how it looks. 9/10 times you can stop at 1500. That one step you have pictured is hands down the best stuff I’ve used. And I have used absolutely everything from just about every manufacturer. It cuts and polishes so much easier than going with a compound and then a polish with the same if not better results. With a wool pad and this stuff I’ve never had swirls in any dark colored boat I’ve done. Just don’t run the buffer over 1500 rpms and you’ll be good and don’t stay in one place too long.