Articles
   
       
Pics/Video
       
Wake 101
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (PN)      Join Date: Sep 2010       11-05-2015, 7:46 AM Reply   
There are a lot of larger boats on the market now since the G series came out and changed the game for big, long transition wakes for Wakeboarding. Which boats do you guys think would stack up next to the G21 and G23 that would be able to create the most similar wake, loaded up?
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       11-05-2015, 8:47 AM Reply   
Only one I've come across is a Malibu with 4000lbs, just as good if not better
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-05-2015, 8:55 AM Reply   
I rode behind a Centurian with Ramfill that had a really nice wake. But the guy that gave me the pull went on to buy a G23. He was a wakesurfer.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       11-05-2015, 8:57 AM Reply   
A24 is capable of a huge wake. 24 MXZ as well as 23 and 25 LSV can probably get there too.
Old     (PN)      Join Date: Sep 2010       11-05-2015, 9:07 AM Reply   
One thing I noticed on the G23 was the size as well as the long transition. I think the wake size is easier to create than the long transition...Can any of these other boats create that nice long transition as well?
Old     (bobbysky)      Join Date: Aug 2010       11-05-2015, 10:56 AM Reply   
I think one of the biggest things about the g23 aside from the size and transition is it's firmness. It's just a really meaty wake. There are a couple of boats that can get as big as a stock g23 by maxing them out with ballast. But then you can just add a couple thousand more pounds to the g to make it even bigger. The closet wake I've seen personally to the G23 is the Supra SG loaded down. A Malibu 23lsv gets close with transition but not size. To this day I think there are a lot of really nice wakes out there to ride but still nothing comes close to the G. We will see what that new Malibu does but until then G23 is still the king.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-05-2015, 11:04 AM Reply   
And I think Robert just nailed it with his description.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       11-05-2015, 11:45 AM Reply   
The G is definitely firm and has a lot of kick. A dialed in A24 is still right there with it IMO. I still think FOR MY PREFERENCE that a friend of mine's A24 is the most fun wake I rode all year. Only got behind it one afternoon, but it was SO FUN. Smooth transition, tons of pop, not overpowering and BIG.
Old     (PN)      Join Date: Sep 2010       11-05-2015, 2:24 PM Reply   
Tom, I have read that an Axis A24 with 4100 lbs (basically stock plus PNP..1000 stock, 1100s in both corners and 900 IBS) will produce about the same wake size as the G23. If this is mostly true, how is that dialed A24 wake transition width compared to the stock G23? I'm assuming it still has narrower transition, but I've only ridden the G23 so far.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       11-05-2015, 5:24 PM Reply   
IMO the transition is very rider friendly. I think the G still has more "kick" to it.

Also, there's this. New Malibu M235

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446769449.838430.jpg
Views: 5696
Size:  208.8 KB
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-05-2015, 5:34 PM Reply   
I agree with boardjnky, the A24 is the only boat I have heard that is close. I would like to see a newer Mojo heavily weighted. I thing the transitions on it are pretty long and the wake can get pretty big.
Old     (PN)      Join Date: Sep 2010       11-05-2015, 10:30 PM Reply   
Wow! Thats an incredible wake! I heard the dry weight is 6000 lbs with stock ballast of 3000...
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       11-06-2015, 6:26 AM Reply   
The redesigned Supra SA has got to be the closest there is when comparing stock weight to stock weight. Plenty of boats can get there when weighted heavily, but the SA is on par with just stock weight and has a better shape IMO.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-06-2015, 6:40 AM Reply   
Get the G..
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-06-2015, 3:03 PM Reply   
A24 is the closest I have ridden. I have been behind two G21's, both with over-stock weight and a lot of people. The A-24 with stock plus plug n play and no wedge was better, bigger and longer transition... but that is against the G21, I have not ridden the G23 but I have heard it a lot better, has a longer tranny than the 21, so I can only assume that I would like it better. I would love to ride a A24 and G23 back to back.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-08-2015, 3:16 PM Reply   
My A24 can get pretty big. I've never been in or behind a G23 so can't give an opinion but I think as for price point it would be hard to beat an A24 if "G-like" size is what you're after. Plus the A24 has room for days, not side to side ballast sensitive, and clean down to 18mph for newbies, kids, or wanting to slow things down to learn new tricks with less impact on crashes. Heard the G23 is surprisingly clean down to 19-ish mph as well for as heavy as it is empty. I love big wakeboats. Would like to get in and behind a G23 and the 25 LSV.

Last edited by you_da_man; 11-08-2015 at 3:23 PM.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-08-2015, 5:01 PM Reply   
I haven't been behind the G23, but I would say the A24 has to be pretty close. I have a 2015 A22, and I'm a lifelong VLX rider. The A22 blew me away once I figured out how to get the wake dialed in. Full ballast and plug & play, wedge, and I put 300 lb lead in the bow, 100 lb of lead in the center walkway, and 100 lb lead in the middle of the boat. My riding speed on the VLX was always around 21.5, and I had to speed up to 24 on the A22. Its such a steeper wake and much wider. I'm curious to know how much wider the A24 wake is.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-08-2015, 5:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalbordr View Post
I haven't been behind the G23, but I would say the A24 has to be pretty close. I have a 2015 A22, and I'm a lifelong VLX rider. The A22 blew me away once I figured out how to get the wake dialed in. Full ballast and plug & play, wedge, and I put 300 lb lead in the bow, 100 lb of lead in the center walkway, and 100 lb lead in the middle of the boat. My riding speed on the VLX was always around 21.5, and I had to speed up to 24 on the A22. Its such a steeper wake and much wider. I'm curious to know how much wider the A24 wake is.
didnt notice any width changes between my A22 to my A24. The A20 was the widest of all Axis boats prior to 2015.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-09-2015, 7:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalbordr View Post
I haven't been behind the G23, but I would say the A24 has to be pretty close.
I can also imagine lots of things.

The Axis has a great wake (my friend just got a T23) - but it's a totally different SHAPE than the G.
Old     (LukeR103)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-10-2015, 8:47 AM Reply   
Here are two of the biggest wakes out there. Price tag is a bit much, but worth it
Attached Images
  
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       11-10-2015, 9:44 AM Reply   
In my own personal opinion...and going off what a couple of other riders I personally know have also stated...the two closest boats that I can think of that are comparable to the G23's size AND shape would probably be the Supra SA, and the 2nd gen XStar WITH the PWT ballast configuration (and maybe a lil extra too). The Supra's wake had great size and shape to me and was very clean with lots of pop. However, the only thing that I thought the G23 trumped it on was firmness. By just a little bit. My old '08 XStar, when loaded down with factory ballast, plus PWT ballast, plus another 200lb bag in the front center (just to even out the back bags), was the closest thing I've seen to a G (stock). To me, the wakes were almost identical, only thing is that you had to pull the XStar a bit faster (23-24mph) to keep it clean where you can keep the G down around 22 and it still be the same...plus on the G you have more space and ALL of the storage left! This is actually why I'm moving from my XStar to a G! Because I loved the wake of my XStar, but it just simply was not the greatest for surfing. The Supra SA was a close 2nd choice and the new XStar and X23 tied for 3rd in my book. I was NOT a fan of the newer Centurion boats. At least not for boarding. Their wakes were large, but felt kind of "soft" to me, if that makes since. I like to charge hard and when I did on the Centurion, I just felt like I was cutting through the wake rather than popping off it. But every rider is different...so that's just my .02 cents!
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-10-2015, 10:42 AM Reply   
One other thing to keep in mind is running that kind of weight to reach G status at altitude might not be possible, or at least will require a bigger engine which I understand is an expensive upgrade. I haven't ridden that many new boats, other than the G21, but I don't think there is a apples-to-apples substitute for a G.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-18-2015, 7:06 AM Reply   
My A22 is comparable, also the Malibu MXZ. I've heard the Tomcat is pretty awesome too.They are all different in their own ways, but from my experience they are similar in size potential, transition and consistency. I don't really have to adjust when I'm going between the boats. The G is pretty sweet inside and has a lot of cool features.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-19-2015, 6:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by luker103 View Post
here are two of the biggest wakes out there. Price tag is a bit much, but worth it
gold
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       11-19-2015, 6:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeR103 View Post
Here are two of the biggest wakes out there. Price tag is a bit much, but worth it

That's a sweet boat but I think he could use about 10lbs of lead in the bow to really help with the
slight bow rise....
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-23-2015, 9:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by beg4wake View Post
2nd gen XStar WITH the PWT ballast configuration (and maybe a lil extra too).
Brian, what is the PWT config? Is it this:

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-m...st-system.html
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-24-2015, 9:28 AM Reply   
Yeah that's the PWT setup. If you want to fill the rear bags entirely then adding a bag in the walkway or moving some people up front helps the wake in my experience.
Old     (LukeR103)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-01-2015, 9:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeno1 View Post
That's a sweet boat but I think he could use about 10lbs of lead in the bow to really help with the
slight bow rise....
Yea we usually keep a 50 lb weight in the front but we were using it for workouts that morning. Getting ripped brah
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       12-01-2015, 12:58 PM Reply   
shredtastic brah!!
Old     (crimson850)      Join Date: Feb 2015       12-02-2015, 11:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by beg4wake View Post
In my own personal opinion...and going off what a couple of other riders I personally know have also stated...the two closest boats that I can think of that are comparable to the G23's size AND shape would probably be the Supra SA, and the 2nd gen XStar WITH the PWT ballast configuration (and maybe a lil extra too). The Supra's wake had great size and shape to me and was very clean with lots of pop. However, the only thing that I thought the G23 trumped it on was firmness. By just a little bit. My old '08 XStar, when loaded down with factory ballast, plus PWT ballast, plus another 200lb bag in the front center (just to even out the back bags), was the closest thing I've seen to a G (stock). To me, the wakes were almost identical, only thing is that you had to pull the XStar a bit faster (23-24mph) to keep it clean where you can keep the G down around 22 and it still be the same...plus on the G you have more space and ALL of the storage left! This is actually why I'm moving from my XStar to a G! Because I loved the wake of my XStar, but it just simply was not the greatest for surfing. The Supra SA was a close 2nd choice and the new XStar and X23 tied for 3rd in my book. I was NOT a fan of the newer Centurion boats. At least not for boarding. Their wakes were large, but felt kind of "soft" to me, if that makes since. I like to charge hard and when I did on the Centurion, I just felt like I was cutting through the wake rather than popping off it. But every rider is different...so that's just my .02 cents!
I think centurion is more geared toward the surfing crowd. Ive got a 2012 SV211, which was their flagship wakeboard hull from my understanding. Im a complete beginner so it will be all I'll need for years to come, Id love to get you behind it one day on SML just to hear your opinion.
Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-06-2015, 7:57 AM Reply   
Other than what's already been said countless times on this and other threads, the thing about the G23 is that you get all this with STOCK ballast and NO BAGS laying around anywhere,

We get all levels of riders on our boat all the time, and even us regular riders sometimes need to tune the wake differently (usually to practice new tricks we slow down/tone down). The fact that you can dial any size and shape wake just like that at the touch of a bouton is worth gold to us.

I used to have a '13 VLX with PnP. Although you could get really nice wake for any sport and most levels, I just couldn't take the hassle anymore of those bags that never emptied properly, and that you had to burp, and that took up all you storage space, and that collected mildew...

Was a great boat though, but the G is definitely on another... Planet
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-09-2015, 11:38 AM Reply   
ASR, X-star, M235, SE.... take your pick the end game is going to be similar
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       12-16-2015, 8:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak4life View Post
Brian, what is the PWT config? Is it this:

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-m...st-system.html
Yep that is it....and just as Brian Rinse stated, add a little more weight up front to really dial it in. The only problem I found with the PWT on my boat is that you really couldn't fill the front two bags too full because they would pop up the front two seats. The best configuration I found (with about 2-4 people on the boat with a rider out back) was to fill the stock ballast 100%, the rear bags 3/4 full, the front bags until they started to pop the seats up, and then 400lb tube sac (or two 200#'s) pushed to the front of the bow walkway (usually took up the entire walkway but would fit under the bow filler coushin!). I also had my PWT system installed as a standalone system and not a piggyback, each bag with it's own ballast pump and switch on the dash. Had to manually fill the center sacs. I absolutely LOVED this wake! It was big, firm and had a great transition at about 23 mph! Only reason I am trading up to a G23, is because the 2nd gen XStar doesn't surf well on the Starboard side and because I would love to have this same wake but be able to keep all of my storage!!!!!
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       12-16-2015, 8:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson850 View Post
I think centurion is more geared toward the surfing crowd. Ive got a 2012 SV211, which was their flagship wakeboard hull from my understanding. Im a complete beginner so it will be all I'll need for years to come, Id love to get you behind it one day on SML just to hear your opinion.
Crimson... I wouldn't be opposed to trying out your wake some day! LOL...I love trying out all different types of wakes, variety is the spice of life! And I'm not all that great of a wakeboarder myself! I can't quit getting injured long enough to really learn some more advanced tricks! haha But maybe one day, whenever I get to get out on SML, we can trade rides! Or, you should sign up for Wake the World this coming year (if you hadn't done it already in the past 2 years), and we will go for rides after all the kids leave!
Old     (PN)      Join Date: Sep 2010       02-16-2016, 10:34 PM Reply   
Thanks for tall the replies. I went ahead and bought a 2014 G23 with a 550 since I live at 6000 ft in Lake Tahoe. The boat is unbelievable! Payments are a lot, but I have never looked back. Just trying to ride in Sacramento with my drysuit this Winter as much as possible.
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-16-2016, 11:43 PM Reply   
Congratulations! We recently got a G23 and the boat really is awesome. We're down near Discovery Bay on tge delta and ride year round...always welcome to come ride ours too if you'd like!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-17-2016, 10:56 AM Reply   
I have to give the nod to the GSeries only because as mentioned not only is it huge but its hard and not so wide so you can glide in without being full on edge all the time at slower speeds to get across W2W if you choose. The Xstar will wear you out on driving faster and edging hard to go w2w all the time, I have been behind a few bigger new M and Ls model Malibus and they are nearly equal in size and can boot the **** out of you but are a tad wider and harder to go W2W on than a G when not on full edge. I have yet to ride behind any Axis so cant compare, hope to one day get some pulls behind a few..

Ill take any of them but again G series gets slight nod IMO
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-17-2016, 11:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by PN View Post
Thanks for tall the replies. I went ahead and bought a 2014 G23 with a 550 since I live at 6000 ft in Lake Tahoe. The boat is unbelievable! Payments are a lot, but I have never looked back. Just trying to ride in Sacramento with my drysuit this Winter as much as possible.
Congrats! Great choice! And in the end you can now say you have the boat that all other boats are constantly compared to for greatness!

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:54 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2019 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us