Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Find A Third/Be A Third

Old     (hyperlitefix)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-24-2011, 1:51 AM Reply   
I'm just curious.. what's the wakeboarding scene like in Colorado? Particularly north of Denver, like in the Fort Collins area.
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-26-2011, 11:29 AM Reply   
I too would like to know this... I am interviewing with a few companies in the Denver area and would like to know what the wake scene is like? Are there a decent amount of lakes around? Thanks,,,
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-26-2011, 12:05 PM Reply   
yeah im looking at moving about an hour south of Denver to the Colorado Springs area for a few months and would like to know the same..
Old    Swass            09-26-2011, 12:17 PM Reply   
Ft. Collins has Horsetooth Reservoir.

The CS area has Pueblo Reservoir. There may be others that are closer, but the largest is probably in Pueblo.
Old     (madriding1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-26-2011, 1:51 PM Reply   
Im in Colorado Springs..Pueblo has quite a few riders. Thats mainly where we head to.
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-30-2011, 8:11 PM Reply   
The scene is pretty fun out here! The public lakes are few in between and a little rough but if you're a nice guy you'll meet some peeps on a private lake and you'll be set. We've had some pro events here the past couple of years and there are also some cool local shops with good people. You'll dig it. Here are a couple of shots of the cable park and one of the boys throwing down on one of our private lakes.
Attached Images

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-02-2011, 12:46 PM Reply   
It's decent! We just had the Mile High Meet and Drink at Horsetooth Reservoir yesterday. I think we had 10 or 12 boats which may not sound that good but most people already have their boats winterized so we will take it! In the spring there is the Mile High Meet and Greet too: http://www.milehighmeetandgreet.com/ The public lakes are pretty busy on the weekends so I joined a private lake that is out east for $1,250 a year but there are others right in Ft. Collins too.
Old     (mtnsun)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-11-2011, 9:37 AM Reply   
Still getting out on the h2o! The private lake we had been on all Summer was closed at the end of Sept. so just going to some of the public lakes. Keeping the boat inside in a heated garage has helped extend our season. Mid 70's to low 80's this week & weekend. Going to keep it up as long as we can.
Old     (mtnsun)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-15-2011, 7:42 AM Reply   
Looking for a 3rd for today (Saturday Oct.15th). Horsetooth Rez. We are heading out shortly & should be on the lake by 10.
Old     (mtnsun)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-20-2011, 8:16 AM Reply   
Looking for a 4th or 5th to ride on Saturday Oct. 22nd. Not sure what lake we are heading to yet but we are going to be out! Had a blast last Saturday with Blake, Martha, Suzie & Kinzie. Next time we are in Idaho, you owe us a pull on Coeur d'Alene!
Prob will be riding up in N. CO someplace.
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-15-2011, 8:32 PM Reply   
Alright I know the season is over by now, but I recently accepted a position in Denver... Just wanted to put it out there that come next season I will be looking for a decent crew to ride with!
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-15-2011, 9:29 PM Reply   
Laurel and Matt- Colorado has a descent wake scene and it's growing every year. As Timmy suggested, hit up the MileHigh Meet & Greet in the spring to meet other riders and crews. The Meet & Greet is all about finding thirds and those without boats to find a crew to ride with. It's a 3 day event with sponsors and giveaways. This was our first year to have two events due to the support and attendance of the spring event. Go to www.milehighmeetandgreet.com and sign up for the email list. That way you will be kept up to speed on next years event(s). There is also a link to the Facebook page, Like us if you would please.

Hope to see you two at MileHigh Meet & Greet 2012!
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       11-28-2011, 6:42 PM Reply   
The mile high meet and greet is freaking awesome. The charge harder crew is always looking for more people to ride with. Wake and snow. Www.chargeharder.com. Hit me up anytime we currently have an Axis A22 But we might be upgrading for 2012.
Old     (ttduncan)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-29-2011, 12:58 PM Reply   
are you in town now? want to make a last ride? I'll go 11/30 if i can get ppl. the water isn't too bad at 45 degrees (: would go for the afternoon, otherwise ill put the boat up til spring, unless we get some nice warm weather and then go to a lake that is open still.
Old     (denverlove)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-21-2012, 9:35 AM Reply   
The Colorado/Denver scene is AWESOME, but you have to know the right people, as they are far and few between. Most decent lakes require a pass, so knowing people with a pass on Sloan's, Aloha, Standley, Hidden, etc. is great. The public lakes - Cherry Creek, Horsetooth, Chatfield - are usually pretty beat up, unless you have a morning weekday crew. Definitely check out the Mile High Meet & Greet. All Colorado wakeboarders in the same place at the same time, incredibly fun and great way to meet fellow riders.

June 1-3 2012
Horsetooth Reservior
Southbay Campgrounds (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND STAYING THE ENTIRE WEEKEND)

www.milehighmeetandgreet.com
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...t/112257482163

Little recap of last year's M&G:
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-16-2012, 2:02 PM Reply   
Is anybody riding yet? I live in grand junction but I'm working over there mon through Friday for the next 2 months. I'm not gonna bring my boat until it gets a little Warmer at night.

I have a drysuit and anything you might need! I am also generous with gas money. I could ride any day after 2!
Old     (mtnsun)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-23-2012, 9:34 AM Reply   
Just got a call from the owner of the private lake we ride. Docks are going in today and the lake will be open to members 2mro. Launching the boat 2mro afternoon for the 1st time of the season.
Turns on the snow in the morning, turns on the H2o in the afternoon. Game on.
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-24-2012, 9:58 PM Reply   
Sweet! What lake do you ride? The season is definitely on!!
Old     (mtnsun)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-25-2012, 7:49 AM Reply   
We have been riding Terry lake (North West of Boulder) for the past 2 years. We had to get on a waiting list to get our spot but it was worth it.

Pretty sick looking Axis. The colors and boat design makes it look like a big SkiDoo sled!
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-26-2012, 6:40 AM Reply   
Went riding at Boyd lake yesterday. water temp was 50 degrees not to bad for March. I was surprised how many people have there boats out already. about 6 other boarders out, but there was a lot of boats just cruising around. felt good to be boarding already.
Old     (Rob720)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-26-2012, 7:10 AM Reply   
Fixing to make the move to Golden/Denver myself. Just went up there for an interview and spent some time checking out the local shops and such. Tommy's has a legit shop and I hear there are a few others too. Cable park up there looks great. Coming from Texas I was a bit worried about being able to keep up with riding but it looks like it won't take much effort..
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-26-2012, 2:01 PM Reply   
Thanks for the compliment on the boat! Maybe we can ride in a couple weeks when I bring it over!

Tommy's is an awesome shop! They will definitely take care of you.
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-28-2012, 3:43 PM Reply   
If anyone is looking for someone else to add to their crew let me know... I am ready to start riding again and can offer gas money/ boat help / lessons to anyone interested. I am particularly interested in boats with a decent amount of weight (got used to that at home). Text/call me at 317-809-9415 I am available weeknights after 4:30 and weekends when I plan accordingly. Thanks - Matt
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-07-2012, 10:44 AM Reply   
Anyone riding yet? It has been really windy lately.... I am getting pretty close to being released for physical activity following my snowboarding injury this winter. I have been inactive for way too long and am dying to get on the water!
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       04-15-2012, 10:24 AM Reply   
Just waiting on Standley to open at this point. May 1st can't get here soon enough!
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-16-2012, 10:05 PM Reply   
The season is definitely upon us! I always love an early spring. For those new to Colorado looking for crews to ride with, the MileHigh Meet & Greet is just over 6 weeks away! We have 15 sponsors this year including Wakeworld! The Meet & Greet is Colorado's Largest Wakeboard Party and a great way to meet some great boarders and crews in the Colorado wake scene. This is a 3 day event kicking off with the Pre-Party on Friday night June 1st. Below is the link announcing the Pre-Party.
http://p0.vresp.com/i7AUaL

Check out the website for more info and to learn all about what the MileHigh Meet & Greet is all about!
http://www.milehighmeetandgreet.com

I look forward to seeing you ALL at the 2012 MileHigh Meet & Greet!
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-19-2012, 3:21 PM Reply   
If we do not have a boat, how can we still participate in the event??
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       04-20-2012, 10:01 AM Reply   
Matt there should be plenty of room on a boat for you. Just email Kraig and he can find someone with some extra room. There very well may be some extra room on one of our boats.
Old     (mtnsun)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-21-2012, 6:12 AM Reply   
Going to be a beautiful weekend on the water. Be safe
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-23-2012, 9:49 AM Reply   
Just show up Matt, there are going to be plenty of boats there to get a ride behind! My group is bringing 2007 Epic, 2007 Tige RZ2 and a 2011 MB F23 Tomcat.
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-23-2012, 5:26 PM Reply   
Thanks for the responses guys, I am really excited to start riding again and get to know some people out here in the wakeboarding community. My girlfriend and I will definitely be present at the event!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-23-2012, 8:37 PM Reply   
2 years ago some kid from CSU was at Horsetooth doing some research for a science project he was working on and stumbled upon the event and came out with us on my buddies Epic and threw down! No jacket, no trunks, no board, nothin! I think a lot of us were impressed that someone just happened to be there and could ride as good as he could without any of his own equipment.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       04-24-2012, 11:14 AM Reply   
Matt where are you living in the Denver area?
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-26-2012, 10:47 PM Reply   
I live at parker and florida (roughly) I am more than willing to head wherever to ride. I am currently working out of a facility up in henderson, so i kinda cover a lot of ground everyday haha
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-04-2012, 7:55 AM Reply   
Anyone riding this afternoon? I have my gear ready to roll!
Old     (mtnsun)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-06-2012, 6:38 AM Reply   
Friday was about as good as it gets. Hot,Sunny and no wind. Butta' day on the lake. Saturday morning - early afternoon was good but got blown out later in the day. Sunday (Today), Heading out for some chill time before the bad weather hits.
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-06-2012, 8:55 AM Reply   
Thanks for the call!! that butter looks sweet!
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       05-07-2012, 1:11 PM Reply   
Matt we are dealing with quarantine issues at Standley right now. Looks like another 2 weeks until we can take the boat out.
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-08-2012, 7:50 AM Reply   
ouch? what type of quarantine issues do they have out here? We used to run into algae issues back east, although that was normally from abnormally high temperatures...
Old    Swass            05-08-2012, 8:30 AM Reply   
Was your boat quarantined for Zebra muscles, or is the entire lake off-limits?
Old     (mtnsun)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-08-2012, 9:17 AM Reply   
We have the same at the lake we are on. If we take the boat to another lake we are quarantined for at least 10 days. Private lakes have + & - to them. Pretty much keep the boat where we are except for vacations.
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-08-2012, 12:38 PM Reply   
Ahh ya in central indiana we dont have the zebra muscle issues, but they have problems in northern indiana on the natural lakes... J do you ride up on Dillan Lake mainly? Your pictures look awesome.
Old     (mtnsun)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-08-2012, 2:20 PM Reply   
Dillon rez (in Summit County)? It's a non human contact rez. It's one of the main H20 sheds for Denver. Plus, that thing is damn cold even mid summer. We go up and cruz the rez from time to time. We are mainly at the private lake that we belong to but do get other places now & then. Green Mtn Rez just outside of Silverthorn is pretty cool to camp at and ride. Again, the water is cold. It's all runoff from the snow. We do a trip to Glendo,WY mid Summer, Sometimes head to Boyd Lake. My In-Laws just leased a house in Havasu for next Jan-the end of April and are taking there boat with them, we may drag ours out there when we go visit. Depending on the weather.
We are from Michigan so ya, same issue as most of Indiana. Some lakes have the Zebra Muscle issue. I can honestly say that I miss the lakes in Michigan and the sandy beaches & bottoms of the lake. Rocks & mud out here! But Colorado is home. Thanks for the comment on the pics. Won't be in the water for a while, I broke my ankle a few weeks ago. 6 weeks with a cast on then p.t. At least I can drive and be out in the sun!
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-09-2012, 10:47 AM Reply   
Ouch I know the feeling... I just recovered from shattering my clavicle into 6 pieces in the park at Vail back in February..At least it was not a big snow year.
Old     (hileman8)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-12-2012, 3:29 PM Reply   
I am looking for someone to ride with this summer in the Denver area. I don't mind driving up to Ft. C or Greeley on the weekends even. I still don't have my own boat but I know all about helping with gas and cleaning. I plan on going to the MileHigh Meet & Greet at least one day.
Old     (mtnsun)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-15-2012, 5:52 AM Reply   
Just an F.Y.I for anyone heading up to N.Colorado to boat. The wildfire burning in the foothills of Ft.Collins is causing some issues. Yesterday at the lake ash was falling from the sky most of the late afternoon and evening. Sometimes to the point, it looked like it was snowing lightly. The air is smoke filled at times (depending on the wind direction). The closer to the Ft.Collins area you get, the worse it seems to be.
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-17-2012, 1:18 PM Reply   
Brian,

You are not related to Brett by chance are you?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-18-2012, 7:55 PM Reply   
Brian, make sure you come up on Saturday if you are only coming for one day. Everyone will be at the south end of the lake.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-23-2012, 11:18 AM Reply   
Glad to see most of you are going to make the Meet & Greet this year. This is going to be the largest M&G yet! Below is the schedule of events:

Pre-Party!
Friday, June 1st.
The Wash Bar www.thewashbar.com
Buses will be picking everyone up at the South Bay camp ground next to the shower house starting at 7:00 pm and will continue until everyone is at the bar.
They will then start taking people back to the camp ground starting around 11:00 pm.
P-Nuckle will be rocking the main stage on the main floor and we'll have a DJ in the basement.
The Wash Bar will have food and drink specials for anyone with the M&G. Grab dinner and drinks at the Pre-Party Friday night!

Raffle
Saturday June 2, 2012 1:00 pm
South Bay Camp ground.
The Raffle is the main event of the M&G. Come on out, meet the sponsors, throw your name in the raffle and win some prizes! Don't forget to bring your lawn chair, blankets and coolers. Hang out around the main tent before the event and meet other riders.

Party Cove Tie-Up
Afterwards we'll all head up to the Party Cove. I have hired an aerial photography company to photograph the Party Cove Tie-Up. Bring your boat and be a part of Colorado's Largest Party Cove Tie-Up!

I hope to see you ALL at the 2012 MileHigh Meet & Greet!
www.milehighmeetandgreet.com
Don't forget to Like Us on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MileHi...t/112257482163
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-26-2012, 1:57 PM Reply   
If you're tying up in the cove, bring an anchor and your fenders with dock lines. Seems like we never have enough anchors and then people try to use life jackets instead of fenders. Come prepared!
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-01-2012, 12:23 PM Reply   
How do I go about getting a pull in the AM before the Raffle/Party?
Old     (mtnsun)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-05-2012, 4:45 PM Reply   
Went by Green Mtn Rez over the weekend and things are not looking good. It looks more like a river. Low Spring runoff and hot weather may take it's toll on most of the lakes here in Colorado. Get your boating in now, no telling how long the h2o will be around.
Old     (pc332)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-14-2012, 9:17 PM Reply   
Anyone riding this weekend? Supposed to be really nice on Sunday. I'm good for gas money.
Thanks!
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-22-2012, 4:46 PM Reply   
If anyone needs a 3rd let me know, I am dying to ride!
Old     (mtnsun)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-23-2012, 6:40 AM Reply   
Went out to Boyd for the day with a few friends and couldn't believe the influx of people. I'm guessing that since Horsetooth is closed because of the fire, everyone is filling up the remaining N.Colorado lakes. Really makes me appreciate the benefits of being on a private lake.
Old     (Candybarmedia)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-25-2012, 12:26 AM Reply   
Been riding Carter reservoir near Loveland... Really clean deep lake and the water is usually good in the evening. We typically have room for 2 more people or so if theres people looking for pulls!
Old     (mtnsun)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-26-2012, 6:24 AM Reply   
Right around sunset the South end of the lake near the dam is great for surfing and riding. Great lake to ride but cold!
Old     (hileman8)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-05-2012, 2:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowem87 View Post
Brian,

You are not related to Brett by chance are you?
Yeah Brett is my little brother
Old     (hileman8)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-05-2012, 2:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candybarmedia View Post
Been riding Carter reservoir near Loveland... Really clean deep lake and the water is usually good in the evening. We typically have room for 2 more people or so if theres people looking for pulls!
Carter is a hour drive for me but if you are ever going out for a half day let me know I would love to ride.