Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Hollywuud)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-14-2017, 5:58 PM Reply   
Hey Guys,

I'm a somewhat experienced rider looking at getting a new board, I've been looking at those two board after looking through quite a few but open to suggestions. I can do 360's on my a friends board, (no fins), that i spend a lot of time on, Im 5 '10 and about 180 so size suggestion would be great too. I'm looking to do more tricks while possibly getting air.

Thanks!

Last edited by Hollywuud; 07-14-2017 at 6:01 PM.
Old     (BrettLee3232)      Join Date: Feb 2015       07-14-2017, 11:32 PM Reply   
Both on opposite ends of the spectrum. Nubstep is surf style & PCX is skim. I own a Factor PCX XL & a Doomswell Bigstep. I prefer the dooms all day, but I also enjoy surf style better. PCX is fun to get on and get loose but it's a different animal. I'm not good enough to comment on anything else though lol
Old     (Hollywuud)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-14-2017, 11:47 PM Reply   
Yeah. they are really different but thats why i put what i would be doing to hopefully get some insight lol
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       07-15-2017, 4:09 AM Reply   
Exactly like Brett I own a factor PCX and à soulcraft. One for the skim the other for the surfstyle. I'd never tried à nubstep but it really seems like my older Ronix powertail. i prefer the surfstyle so prefer my Soulcraft over my Victoria but it's all about your preferences. What's your old board?
If you're able to make 360's and all that and you want to make more airs I would go for the doomswell. Hybrid are good overall board. You can skim and/or surf with these. If you don't want 2 board it's a really good compromise.
Old     (Hollywuud)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-15-2017, 8:33 AM Reply   
What size do you guys think i should get?
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-15-2017, 11:26 AM Reply   
I have the Doomswell Neo in 4' 8". Great board for airs. I only run the 2 larger fins and leave out the 2 smaller rear fins...keeps it loose enough for 360's too, tho its certainly harder to pull spins on surf style compared to skim style board....would say its more geared toward carving and airs.
I am 5'10" tall 205lbs and buoyancy is perfect for me.....at your weight, I would guess you will want 4' 6". Neo is basically the Nubstep with blunted front edge, I have not ridden a Nubstep but assume they would be very similar. I actually just rode a 4' 6" Neo this morning and I could tell a slight difference in buoyancy compared to mine. Think that is the size they would recommend for you too based on what I looked at when I bought mine for size/weight ratings.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-15-2017, 11:33 AM Reply   
I dont know why they call the Nubstep a "hybrid", can only assume its how they form the rails cause its definitely a surf style board with no skim that I can see. Its thick (2 1/2" maybe)....so you will either need custom rack like the one from Corson Piper (which is what I have and mounted upsidedown on my tower), or something similar to that if you want it in a rack that wont cause damage. I bought a bag with mine and sometimes also leave in the bow. Over bimini in pocket would also work...but I would leave in bag if you do that since leaving in direct sun for prolonged period can damage those custom boards. Just an fyi if you have not held one yet. Great board tho, IMO its as good as it gets until you go fully custom with something like Soulcraft, etc.
Old     (Hollywuud)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-15-2017, 12:54 PM Reply   
Yeah I saw that some of the people here were saying that, what hybrid would youb recommend then? And the smaller length would probably make it easier to maneuver
Old     (Hollywuud)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-15-2017, 12:57 PM Reply   
Oh and i do t have a tower so I don't have to worry about that, but I'll probably have one made
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       07-16-2017, 5:47 AM Reply   
I'm 6ft 175lbs. And ride a 4´6" could go with 4,7 but the more length you have less responsive the board is.
And I don't really know either why the nubstep is called hybrid I think it doesn't even have a center slot to put just a skim fin.. nubstep have the shape and size of pretty all hybrid instead.
I ride my Soulcraft with 2 large fins too and like D Said it makes it enough loose for spin but definitely much harder than my factor. But can't really do airs with my factor.

Recommendation for a full hybrid would not be a nubstep.. you seems to prefer skim style so If i were you I'll probably check for a skim shape board with more surfstyle option instead of a surfstyle shape board with skim option.. I don't know if I said it correctly hahaha.
The Victoria Captain is probably the best "hybrid-skim" I've ever tried. This board is a skim with the option of putting or removing the side fins. But even with the 3 fins still really easy to 360's and get a little more push to be able to make airs.
My old board is still one of the best hybrid i think. Ronix powertail it's short, large and you have the fin setup for both style. But it feels little more like a surfstyle than a skim. Was able to make good airs and pretty easy 360's too.
Never tried it but the new thing seems to be the Byerly action. Seen lot of people with it and say the best board they ever had.. complete hybrid too more shaped like a skim.
Good luck!

Last edited by Mike88; 07-16-2017 at 5:50 AM. Reason: Tapping
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-16-2017, 8:58 AM Reply   
As others have said, different spectrums. You can get air on any board. Air is about technique. Some boards make popping airs, especially elevated above the lip maneuvers easier and recovering from those maneuvers easier.

Hybrids are what they are, they run the range from very skim like to very surf like. What constitutes a hybrid is often marketing and to some extent general guidelines that come from competitive wakesurfing. Board design influences riding, but ultimately the way you ride or the ride style dictates whether it is surf style or skim style.

Size depends on board. In general you will ride a surf style board larger/longer than a skim style board. This is due to overall planing surface.
Boards are sized/sold based largely or solely on length, which is only 1 factor and not necessarily the best factor in determining how a board will ride or whether it is a good fit for a given sized person.

For true surf style boards, you will want to look at boards from 4'6 to 4'8. For skim style boards, 52"-54" in general based on what you have said of your weight and experience.

For surf style hybrids, I would look at a Chaos Ringer or RacerX.
For advanced surf style, particularly oriented towards aerial maneuvers, I would look at a Team Pro or Pocket Rocket.

If you are going to spend over $600, I wouldn't even look at a wakeboard company brand. Victoria makes great skim boards.

Nick
Old     (Squamer)      Join Date: Oct 2015       07-17-2017, 4:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitysurf View Post
I have the Doomswell Neo in 4' 8". Great board for airs. I only run the 2 larger fins and leave out the 2 smaller rear fins...keeps it loose enough for 360's too, tho its certainly harder to pull spins on surf style compared to skim style board....would say its more geared toward carving and airs.
I am 5'10" tall 205lbs and buoyancy is perfect for me.....at your weight, I would guess you will want 4' 6". Neo is basically the Nubstep with blunted front edge, I have not ridden a Nubstep but assume they would be very similar. I actually just rode a 4' 6" Neo this morning and I could tell a slight difference in buoyancy compared to mine. Think that is the size they would recommend for you too based on what I looked at when I bought mine for size/weight ratings.
The Neo and Nubstep ride much different in my opinion. Nubstep is more locked in with sharper rails while the Neo has rounded rails that will break loose easier. Both are easily 360d and both will get air. To me I'm 160 5'7 and ride a 4'6. I would probably get a 4'8" if I was you depending on how you like to ride. Neither are skim boards, and also like you, I never run the back fins. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either board but it really is riding preference between the two
Old     (Hollywuud)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-17-2017, 8:24 PM Reply   
Thank's for all the info guys i appreciate it @Nick I've seen people talk about Chaos boards but never really in detail, so i didnt know which ones are designed for what, but it looks like they have a different shape than most boards. and yeah im looking more around $400-$500, so blem boards
Old     (Hollywuud)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-17-2017, 9:18 PM Reply   
Also ill probably be heading more to airs as there seems to be more to do there
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-18-2017, 7:47 AM Reply   
The Factor PCX is great for airs. It generates a ton of speed and is really snappy off the wake.
And I agree with you about there is more to do in the air. I like the variety of maneuvers I can do on a skim style board rather than just surface based tricks and slashes.
Attached Images

Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-18-2017, 7:57 AM Reply   
This is on the regular Factor from 2016. It isn't carbon fiber so it doesn't have the same snappy feel, but the core is still super stiff compared to other brands so it has a ton of pop. You should be able to find new ones in your price range. The shape is a little different from the Factor PCX, but it is a shape I rode for a long time before the new shape.
Attached Images

Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-18-2017, 8:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
As others have said, different spectrums. You can get air on any board. Air is about technique. Some boards make popping airs, especially elevated above the lip maneuvers easier and recovering from those maneuvers easier.

Hybrids are what they are, they run the range from very skim like to very surf like. What constitutes a hybrid is often marketing and to some extent general guidelines that come from competitive wakesurfing. Board design influences riding, but ultimately the way you ride or the ride style dictates whether it is surf style or skim style.

Size depends on board. In general you will ride a surf style board larger/longer than a skim style board. This is due to overall planing surface.
Boards are sized/sold based largely or solely on length, which is only 1 factor and not necessarily the best factor in determining how a board will ride or whether it is a good fit for a given sized person.

For true surf style boards, you will want to look at boards from 4'6 to 4'8. For skim style boards, 52"-54" in general based on what you have said of your weight and experience.

For advanced surf style, particularly oriented towards aerial maneuvers, I would look at a Team Pro or Pocket Rocket.

If you are going to spend over $600, I wouldn't even look at a wakeboard company brand. Victoria makes great skim boards.

Nick
Nick,
I'm a wakeboarder and just started surfing. We have a good size wake and I've been riding a phase 5 diamond that I enjoy but I'd like to have a pure surf board. Can you advise me on why I would compare the sixer vs team pro vs pocket rocket? I'm 5'7", 153lbs thank you for any advise
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-19-2017, 4:00 PM Reply   
Hi Steve.

I have had an info graphic in my head for awhile, not just for my board board for a variety of popular boards. Here's a simple line graphic:

Carbon Skim.......RacerX........Ringer.......Sixer....... Pocket Rocket/Contender..Team Pro/Chaos Pro...Mystix

Further to the left is skim and hybrid, getting more surf style as you proceed right: surf style volume distribution, surf style fin set-ups, surf style rocker, surf style rails (more rounded, less of a hard edge), etc.

The Sixer whether bamboo or performance custom series sits in between surfy hybrids and pro style aerial boards.

The Team Pro is the most widely copied shape in wakesurfing. It is a solid performer, that just has this great pop and feel to it, allowing incredible airs and easy recovery from those airs. The Pocket Rocket, is basically a stripped down no nonsense pro board. Stripped down and the best economic value in performance wakesurfing. $699, get's you a handmade, made in the USA board with premium USA materials, your choice or traction and premium fins actually designed for wakesurfing, no thermo-molded plastic fins.

At your size you can go with a 4'4"-4'5" board.

Nick
Old     (Hollywuud)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-19-2017, 4:42 PM Reply   
Oh and i finally found the board I have been using, couldn't remember the name for my life it's a Ronix Cortex 2010 https://www.evo.com/outlet/wake-surf...urf-board-2010 I dont know if its a surf style or skim, but i ride it with no fins.

Last edited by Hollywuud; 07-19-2017 at 4:45 PM.
Old     (Hollywuud)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-19-2017, 9:37 PM Reply   
SO which is better for air tricks surf or skim?
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-20-2017, 6:49 AM Reply   
Mitch will likely not concur, partly because he sells skims, and partly because he loves skims, but hands down, no doubt, a surf style board is better for above the lip maneuvers. Yes, an experienced rider can launch airs with a skim board, but most riders will have more difficulty getting that board elevated. If airs are what you want, best to go with a surf style board. Skim boards are really effective at popping off the wake in the flats and transition, they are less apt for popping off the lip of a wake. Skims are great for low elevation rotational maneuvers like olie/alley oops, bigs and shuvs. They are less apt for tail whips, off axis airs, big 180s and air reverses.

Nick
Old     (Hollywuud)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-20-2017, 7:28 AM Reply   
Thanks for all your responses, I'm starting to learn quite a bit, and yeah I take some bias into account for both you and him lol.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-20-2017, 7:48 AM Reply   
What tricks do you see yourself doing?

I gravitated towards skim style because I have always loved skateboard and wakeskate tricks. I love the feeling of being able to do anything and being able to do shuvit based tricks. I know they are possible on a surf style but they are extremely hard and feel awkward and clumsy. Chris Wolter makes them look good though 👌🏼

Nick will never believe me, but learning to get air on a skimboard is as easy as on a surf style. I have taught many riders in skimboards how to do airs, shuvits, and spins. But again, I grew up wanting to be a skateboarder (but always sucked haha). Water is much easier
Old     (Hollywuud)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-20-2017, 7:58 AM Reply   
Shuv it wake transfers would be sick lol
Old     (Hollywuud)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-23-2017, 4:16 PM Reply   
So what are some good hybrid boards since i cant deiced what I want to do?
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-23-2017, 5:06 PM Reply   
Best thing is for you too find someone that will let you demo (my dealer lets me demo board and if I like...goes toward purchase price). If he has a demo board, I can ride for free.
Demo is best way to know what you are gonna like
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-23-2017, 7:58 PM Reply   
I recommend getting a surf style or a skim style. A hybrid is too much of a compromise to me. They usually are nothing like a skimboard, and have too flat of rocker for what I want in a surf style.
Old     (Hollywuud)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-23-2017, 8:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitysurf View Post
Best thing is for you too find someone that will let you demo (my dealer lets me demo board and if I like...goes toward purchase price). If he has a demo board, I can ride for free.
Demo is best way to know what you are gonna like
I wish there were shops around me but they all closed down a few years back
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-30-2017, 7:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post

Nick
How would you compare the pocket rocket vs the team pro?
thanks
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       07-31-2017, 5:50 AM Reply   
I think Nick is spot on with his post. I love my ringer xxl!!!!