Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-09-2014, 11:54 AM Reply   
Im in the market for a wave runner and I live in Northern NJ and found one in NY (long island). I've tried to call the DMV about this but got know where fast. My question is, when buying a used PWC from a private party how are you legally suppose to trailer it home? I have to trailer it about 200 miles and I wont have a plate and am not 100% sure I will be buying it. I have to go look at it and will decide then. I feel this must be a common thing but am having trouble finding any info at all on it. Any help would be great. I found something about a temp registration but you need to provide bill of sale which I wont have.

Thanks!
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-09-2014, 12:03 PM Reply   
Uh...if you but it you will have a dated bill of sale to show any cop who happens to be bored enough to fiddle with you over it.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-10-2014, 12:37 AM Reply   
^^^agreed.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-10-2014, 2:12 AM Reply   
Most states give you 30 days from the time of purchase to get everything registered. The Bill of Sale will be your binding document. One thing I have learned in the past is to ensure you get the Bill of Sale notorized. It makes things go a lot smoother. Good luck.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-10-2014, 5:16 AM Reply   
Appreciate the help. Ill probably go the notarized bill of sale route and just go for it.
Old     (davedidonato90)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-10-2014, 6:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_x15 View Post
Appreciate the help. Ill probably go the notarized bill of sale route and just go for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zwN5aJTY-Y

I think i know a guy
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-10-2014, 10:39 AM Reply   
1: Buying a wave runner? Really? Let me guess, you're going to pull a tube from it and jump wakes feet away from the swim platform? lol just giving you crap. They're fun. Kenny Powers enjoys them!
2: I'm guessing you're referring to the trailer being registered right? I mean you can throw a waverunner or dirt bike or whatever in the back of your truck and not worry about getting pulled over for not having their tabs updated since they are in another vehicle that is registered.
That being said the bill of sale will probably work, especially if it's within hours or even the same day/weekend as buying it. Otherwise to be safe, go to the DMV and get a temp trip permit. These are normally pretty cheap and let you have it on the road legally until you can get it registered.
3: That notarized video was hilarious. What is that from? It was so random.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-10-2014, 6:36 PM Reply   
you don't need to get the bill of sale notarized.