Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-28-2011, 4:23 PM Reply   
The boat ramp chaos thread made me think. A couple of weeks ago we were out a Lake Mohave. Inconsiderate non-thinkers were everywhere. I was getting really pissed off with other boaters doing all those things we all complain about. BUT.....I knew I had to change when my 20 year old son opened up a can of profanity to another boater that thought he would aim for us and then 50 feet away change directions. I knew that my getting pissed and complaining to all on board my boat set that whole episode off.

So, the Seadoos that continually flew past me 25 ft away at WOT with a rider down happened to be hanging out in a cove. I pulled in - my wife started telling me to leave them alone...but I paid no attention....I pulled up and calmly, nicely said...I wanted you to know I was really nervous when you rode by several times because I had a rider down and couldn't tell if you saw the rider or not. Perhaps next time you could steer a little further away. They apologized and said thanks. Hmm? Okay.

Following week at Lake Castaic. A guy doing circles pulling a tube first behind me then passing me and doing it in front of me. Okay, tried again, politely called him over and said - he I don't want you to get hurt or a ticket - the lake has a direction and its confusing to other boaters when you do that. He said sorry and thanks. Hmm?

Don't think it will work every time but I did realize if I want my kids to be polite and handle things well, I better put up or shut-up.

Just remind me next time someone is following my rider....
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-28-2011, 5:09 PM Reply   
They will tell you what you wanna hear up close but will be doing the same thing when you leave.I've always said given the extra liability we have(riders in water)it's up to us to be extra vigilant,and always educate people when opportunity arises.Can't hurt.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-29-2011, 6:12 AM Reply   
I have always said its ignorance more than stupidity. Drivers do what they were taught which is nothing. I have been driving for 25 years and I look back at the things I used to do. No doubt I was a WALLY. What can be done that doesn't take 25 years? Stopping boats and informing them may work if their not drunk or hostile. I went to my dealer and asked about hosting a drivers education seminar in the off season . This class will cover rules,laws navigation and most important courtesy. They seemed open to the idea . I suggest you talk to your dealer and ask them about it. Its a great service and gets potential customers in the showroom in the off season. If you can get to one driver its one less Wally on the water.