Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-21-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
Anyone tried some of these new memory foam handles?

Ive seen and held the ronix totem in the store and was VERY impressed. I'm all about koosh when judging all my gear :-)
Ive heard and read that the Accurate Podium,Rusty's handle has memory foam in it too, but have not had an opportunity to see and feel it in person

Please share your thoughts on the totem and podium, especially in comparison for those that can

also, if there is another handle that fits these descriptions, plz enlighten me.

Upload
Upload
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-21-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
I used the Totem last weekend so here are my thoughts. First, the water was cold and second, I just started riding again for the season so I am not in wakeboarding shape yet, both of which I partly blame on my forearms feeling so tired so quickly. However, I though the hand was too think and that holding on to the memory foam required me to hold on tighter than I would have with a more traditional handle so that contributed to my forearms being shot after a few minutes. All in all, I think I like a more traditional handle better. But to each his own. Had I used it for the first time in May when I was back in shape and the water was warmer, I might have liked it more.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-21-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
Memory foam makes sense in a handle because you always grab it in the same place.

Wait a minute..
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-21-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
leave it to magellan to bash anything that may be a new technology. I clicked on this topic for pure interest of what he had to say that was negative.

Back to the topic....

I wouldn't mind trying one of these handles out. It might be hard to change my opinion of my handle because i love it so much. I have the Liquid Force Team Handle with the foam triangular shaped grip. It's money!!!!!
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-21-2008, 12:17 PM Reply   
the team is money, rock on bro!!!!
Old     (shaggy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-21-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
I find it hard to believe that the handle is really made from "memory foam", since memory foam is an open cell foam, so it would just absorb water like a sponge. Plus it would seem that memory foam would be really expensive to make a handle out of. I see what magellan is saying since you never grab the handle in the same place ecspecially when passing the handle, so i don't really see the benefit. Just my opinion, but with that said i would still be interested to check one out, but i think i will stick with my classic foam synthesis handle.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       03-21-2008, 1:26 PM Reply   
I believe the benefit of the memory foam is that it will return to its original shape AFTER you have let go of that spot.

Regardless, I wonder how it feels, but wouldn't drop and extra $30 to get one...
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-21-2008, 4:29 PM Reply   
I don't want to sound Ignorant, but really, the fact that the podium is "rusty's handle" means something i think.

The description for the totem seems to say the "whole team uses it and loves it"- but somehow i am a little less likely to believe that one when danny has the one handle, etc.

I think that maybe a better word is "memmory foam- like"... maybe. and like luke says probably returns to its shape after letting go. i'm sure it is not like the fancy pillow one would sleep with.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-21-2008, 4:55 PM Reply   
I ride with the totem and I like it it feels neat.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-21-2008, 8:36 PM Reply   
I love the ronix north handle that has the same foam stuff. It is a bigger handle to grip but I liked it.
Old    sdahockey21            03-22-2008, 6:22 AM Reply   
I second the North Handle, my favorite of all time.
Old    sdahockey21            03-22-2008, 6:28 AM Reply   
It is different riding with a different diameter handle, but once you get used to it it is no problem.

A while back I went out with some friends they had there LG handle out so I figured I would just go with that. Rode 10 min and my hands were killing me, I thought it was just the cold, but when we swapped it out for my north, pain gone. Now thats saying something because before I had the North I loved the LG and almost bought one....
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-22-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
never rode with an LG ben seen and touched one in stores. The Lg makes some of the EVA handles feel like the ol' rubber ones, but the totem (held in store) made the Lg feel like the "'ol eva ones"

but getting pulled 20mph+ with one in your hands is different.
I'd have to agree, in hope, that a good percentage of comfort is "getting used to it"
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-22-2008, 8:50 PM Reply   
I like my one handle. Its not like a memory foam matress, maggellan. its a thin layer. doesn't do too much though.