Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-04-2008, 7:47 PM Reply   
It finally got warm down here for a couple days (and before anyone calls me on living in Alabama, we ride in a river that comes from up north and it's still @$$ cold) and decided to go out. We met up that morning at 9, changed the oil, fan belt, and fixed some random stuff. We were at the launch by 12, dropped it in and ...... nothin. Turned over but wouldn't start. We worked on that friggin thing for 4 hours. Got done with just enough time to cruise out and have a beer while watching the sun go down. Bummer.

Anyone else get screwed on the first time out this year?
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-04-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
yah it was freezing cold and i forgot my fins in my board so i was sliding around and catching edges like crazy
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-04-2008, 7:54 PM Reply   
Man I'm glad I live in good old FL that suck though oh well though at least u got it fixed
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-04-2008, 7:59 PM Reply   
a crappy first day out is better than not being out dude !
Old    kidrik            03-04-2008, 8:18 PM Reply   
Buzz kill.......
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-04-2008, 8:26 PM Reply   
what kind of boat, what was wrong
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-04-2008, 9:05 PM Reply   
I didn't even make it out. My jetski battery died, and I ran out of time before I had to go to a doctors appointment. Wound up practicing getting a wakeskate under my feet as though I was doing a docstart. Jumped in the 47 degree water with no shirt and only compression shorts under my boardshorts. Was just a little bit frosty. Dropped my core temp like, 3 degrees. wooo.
Old     (spoondog)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-04-2008, 10:24 PM Reply   
three words...Fake a lake.

I always use one after the boat has been sitting a while.
Old     (slfxm)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-04-2008, 10:29 PM Reply   
There are no lakes in Utah right now -- just big ice blocks.

I'd be happy if I could go out and watch a sunset on the boat. I guess I could take the boat out on the trailer and sit in the parking lot and watch the sun set. At least I wouldn't have to pay the ramp fee.
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       03-04-2008, 10:31 PM Reply   
dude that sux! yeah like boardbum said Fake-a-lake and u would have been good. $40 well spent!
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-04-2008, 11:03 PM Reply   
i didnt know boats had fan belts!

sorry bout your bad day...gotta mess a little.

did you check the kill switch? ive done that before.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-05-2008, 10:51 AM Reply   
Steve,fan belt???
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-05-2008, 11:08 AM Reply   
Yeah, I'll third the fake-a-lake. Knowing your boat will at least start up is worth that price.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-05-2008, 1:50 PM Reply   
i fourth the fake-a-lake, and third the, fan belt?
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-05-2008, 2:11 PM Reply   
Fake a lake? I use a bucket of water and a 1" hose coupler with a 3' extension for my intake hose. That way I know my impeller is working too :-)
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-05-2008, 2:39 PM Reply   
I got a little sunburnt on Saturday, so yeah, that did kinda suck.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-05-2008, 3:37 PM Reply   
As I've always used the dealer in the past for winterization, I've never had the need before...but I couldn't stomach the $$$ this year so did it myself (with extensive internet browsing). For the summerizing, is this pretty much what I need in terms of the 'fake-a-lake'?

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FAK01
Old     (spoondog)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-05-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
That is all you need. Well and a hose, and well water. But yeap its very simple. You can also make one with a plunger and a hose connection but then you wouldn't have the adjustable handle.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-05-2008, 7:41 PM Reply   
my fist day out wasnt that great either. i was really excited about demoing a covin 143 the air was 76 and the water 55 beautiful day but after my 4th wake 2 wake i threw a backroll fell and then the set was cut short because our boats prop hit the bottom! it got dinged up pretty good. the boat was no where near the shore in but our lake was drained during the winter season for shore maintenance and is still about 3' shallower than normal. But at least i got to ride!!!
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       03-06-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
lake is still frozen but last year we made it about 200-300 yards from teh dock to discover that the impeller wasn't pumping water. Drifted, it was early so not too many other boats to get a tow from. Discovered that the engine temp doesn't read hot if there's no water in there :-(
Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-07-2008, 6:43 PM Reply   
I guess no one else on here has an old sh^!!y boat. I guess technically it's not a fan belt cause there's no fan, so it's just a belt.

We've got the "fake-a-lake" (that's the first time I've ever heard it called that) but why screw around with that when the river is only 2 miles away. Besides I'd rather work on it out on the water than in the parking lot.

Anyway the problem was the points and rotor button were burned out, which also fouled out the plugs from trying to start it so many times. Once we figured out what the problem actually was it was a 20 minute fix.

If you don't know what points are, go ask your dad.
Old     (davee22ve)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-07-2008, 9:29 PM Reply   
Our season never ends in Az but last sun my boat was giving me some fits and the wind was crazy = rough water. still had a great time
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-26-2008, 12:17 PM Reply   
SOOOO....my fist day out as i mentioned here sucked and my second day out was at TSR and sucked even more! i drove from lubbock tx. about 7 hours to new braunfels to kill it at TSR well 15 min. into a prepaid four hour set i tried a roll to revert in the flats and didnt load the line enough so i dove the nose of my board and broke my ankle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-26-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
put a nipple on your thru hull. pull the hose off the nipple, insert water hose in boat intake hose. no fake a lake, no plungers, no questions.

but yea, that does suck. my boat is still in pieces in the garage, but i sat around for an hour or so last weekend waiting on a dead battery to charge.