Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-27-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
Just arrived back home -- 24 hours later

Drove straight through and it was soooo

Only about 50 miles into Georgia we had a tire blow out, no biggie threw on the spare and headed on for the next town to get a new tire, well another tire blew before we made the town, so now its a 3 wheel gimp for like 3 miles... we finally make it and get two new tires, and leave the tire place to get some lunch... when we get to Arby's we find out our trailer BROKE! just 3 wheels for like 4 miles snapped a weld on the trailer and it looked ugly
Upload
Upload

We figure its an easy fix if we just re-weld the broken spot, but our luck its 5:00 so everyone is already closed....

We ended up just saying screw it and tried driving... about 1300 miles later, we made it.

The trip was a blast thanks to everyone who helped out (billy, bess, steve)

Moving back in August!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-27-2008, 10:13 AM Reply   
Sorry -- The point was

Will re-welding a piece where the old one broke fix this?

Thanks
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-27-2008, 10:18 AM Reply   
Damn son, you are lucky! I have never had that much good luck! Everytime I have ever had a trailer issue towing for long periods of time they have ended up cost crazy $$$ and taking a day loss on the trip.
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-27-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
I don't like the looks of that "extension". They're just there to raise the ride height of the trailer. I would rather see them removed along with the original brackets and new, longer brackets welded to the trailer frame. JMO of course but there are a lot of large forces being applied there when you hit bumps or have a blowout, that's why it broke, and having properly designed brackets would be nice to have if you do a lot of towing. I really can't believe a MFG sent a trailer out the door like that. Has it been repainted?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-27-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
no no, the trailer is a 1995( I assume, same year as the boat)thats why its so worn -- just the midwest just rusts stuff, even with storage...

But you think if I jack it up, get it into position and re-weld it to look the like the side that isn't broke it will work?... i mean it made 1300 miles broken so it cannot be that serious of a part... and from now on the boat goes .25 miles to the ramp, and from the ramp once a year.... i assume it will hold with a little fix

I'm just really cheap and don't want to pay anyone
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-27-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
If it's true that you won't be taking any more long trips then yes you could just weld things back up. I wouldn't though because some day you might want to take such a trip and if both of those extensions brake at the same time you could really be in some trouble. It shouldn't cost very much at all to have some brackets cut out and welded on. Especially is you have all summer to do it so it's no rush. The other thing you could do is remove the broken part and the similar part on the other side(free!) and just run the trailer with slightly lowered ride height. If it bothered you slightly taller tires would bring the ride height back up.
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-27-2008, 10:40 AM Reply   
message to self: broke
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-27-2008, 10:43 AM Reply   
BTW it won't be as easy as you think to just weld it up because the part that bent or broke has it's weld hidden under the original bracket. Fix it the right way or just remove the bad brackets and tell your friends you lowered the trailer. They might think it's cool.
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-27-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   
One more thing. If all you do is weld things up it will make you look like a hillbilly and then the next person who may want to buy your boat, so you can buy a new X-2, will think that's how you do all your maintenance.