Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       12-01-2011, 9:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimewarranty View Post
I think we all get that...but it isn't the end of the story. There is a huge difference in the mixture though. What if you have 2 four barrel carbs and 2/3's throttle at 3krpm on the small block vs stock fuel injection and 1/3 throttle at the same rpm on the big block...that would make for some dynamically different fuel mixtures (just a scenario).
No, running dual carb vs a TBI or MPI setup wouldn't change fuel mixtures. A given engine build will need the same mixture to run at peak performance, the engine doesn't care how it's getting the fuel, only that the mixture meets the requirements of the given load, RPM, timing, etc. Carb and EFI both do this effectively and comparably. There will be minor differences between different models of carbs and different types of EFI setups.

Aside from that, there wouldn't be a huge advantage to running a dual carb tunnel ram style setup on a low RPM torquey wake boat engine. You'd be running very small carbs to keep proper velocity through the carbs and still have a stall of the intake charge given the large plenum volume of a tunnel ram or even a highrise style dual carb intake. It would be a mismatched combination that would result in a general all around poor running engine in that application.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-01-2011, 1:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
No, running dual carb vs a TBI or MPI setup wouldn't change fuel mixtures.
Perhaps it is I who am missing something here. Are you saying that a vehicle that is running a small block with 2 big 4 barrel carbs and a lot of throttle will be the same fuel mixture as a big block running very little throttle?

All I am trying to suggest is that a smaller engine that is at 2/3 or 3/4 throttle vs a large engine at 1/4 throttle may have similar fuel consumption...but Maybe I am dissecting this too much

I'm surprised that there aren't some strings here that have some GPH and weight numbers for us to see...